Music as therapy.
Oct 21, 2006 at 12:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

drarthurwells

Headphoneus Supremus
There are two types of therapy - direct and indirect.

Direct therapy attempts a cure by changing events and processes causing malady, disease, etc. Anti-biotics can directly kill bacteria that cause disease.

Indirect therapy is therapeutic in changing events and processes that contribute to disease, malady, etc. but do not directly cause them. Stress that contributes to immune system depression can be relieved by taking a vacation so as to restore immune functions to better fight a disease.

Neurochemical (hormones, neurotransmitters, etc.) releases can be divided into positive, negative, or neutral in regard to generalized effects on disease fighting, stress relieving, relaxation inducing, etc.

Some music is negative in this regard - some rock music was played at loud levels to break captured enemy-combatant terrorists and induce them to give up intel to stop the noise.

Other music is positive in its emotional and neurochemical release effect.

I try to listen to one CD a day with my headphone system, in a quiet environment, laying back on my recliner, eyes closed.

Lowers blood pressure and makes me feel relaxed and comfortable.

I sometimes nap while listening to digital satellite with my DISH video receiver on my home stero system, again laying down on the recliner. Chan 973 on the music channels provides beautiful and relaxing music (Montivanni, Percy Faith, Jackie Gleason, Morton Gould, and other similar orchestras). I have some delightful naps, drifting in and out of sleep to some lovely music.

An hour a day of intensive listening to music you really enjoy is therapeutic in the indirect sense, and will prolong your life span and improve the quality of that life. Or so I tell my wife when I want to buy a new audio toy.

Oct 21, 2006 at 9:48 AM Post #2 of 4
i find that listening to quiet, soft classical music in a cool dark room, with a window open (if quiet outside) to let a gentle breeze in, works wonders for migraines.

also there is music that is recommended for inducing trance like states (like ambient is to salvia)... but that is going off topic.

Oct 21, 2006 at 5:05 PM Post #3 of 4
I usually only listen to meditation music or chants when relaxing (or sometimes sleeping). Using aromateraphy enhances this esperience too. If gives a sort of ambience to the room that is simply ethereal. I put this at a moderately loud volume, no background level here.

I don't think I can relax to classic music. Its a bit too involving for me but I have yet to try any piano recordings. I think I could get use to that.

Oct 22, 2006 at 4:42 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by mysticaldodo
I usually only listen to meditation music or chants when relaxing (or sometimes sleeping). Using aromateraphy enhances this esperience too. If gives a sort of ambience to the room that is simply ethereal. I put this at a moderately loud volume, no background level here.

I don't think I can relax to classic music. Its a bit too involving for me but I have yet to try any piano recordings. I think I could get use to that.

Wow!

Aromatherapy.

Did you know stores are now using scents to put customers in a buying mood?

Different scents sell different products best - a bedding/mattress store uses scents that induce relaxation for instance.

And yes most classical music is too engaging - draws you into it. Only some classical is good for relaxation or napping - like Debussey's "Afternoon of a Faun".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back