Music as a Soundtack for Life
Jan 16, 2007 at 10:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

3DCadman

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello All!

As I was driving home today, I was listening to "Sleep: Murray Ostril" by Godspeed You Black Emperor! It was a beautiful sunny day (yet very cold).

As I was moving along the road, there was a canopy of trees on both sides of the road and they were covered in ice. It was a beautiful sight as the sun shone through them, glistening.

The song was at the 17:00 mark or so, and it just seemed to match the mood, pace and atmosphere of the moment. It was like the song was made for that time and place.

What capped it all off was, THE SONG ENDED A THE SAME TIME AS I WAS PULLING INTO THE DRIVEWAY!!!
blink.gif

I had another one a few years ago, also driving. I had just picked up a new car, and there was a huge thunderstorm coming. I was driving on the highway, and I was playing "The Duel of the Fates" from "The Phantom Menace" soundtrack. All of a sudden, in the distance there was lightening striking all over the place. Also, it seemed like the music fit the scene perfectly.

Anyone else have one of these moments?

Jan 16, 2007 at 10:35 PM Post #2 of 9
One of the best music moments ever was when my best friend and I were stoned and it was really rainy outside. We were listening to my iPod in the car and The Beatles' Here Comes the Sun came on. Just as the opening guitar was going, the sky cleared instantly and the sun came out. This was after it had been raining for an entire week.

One of the craziest moments in my life.

Jan 17, 2007 at 7:12 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3DCadman /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes, Cadman, I've had a lot of those moments. My theory is that the music will usually set the tone for the drive, so I will try to match up what I put in my CD player to the "mood" of the drive. But then there are other times when nature or the scenery (could be some urban wasteland one is traversing, after all) is overpowering and sets the tone. When that tone happens to coincide with the music, is when you have your true synchroncity.

Jan 17, 2007 at 7:50 PM Post #5 of 9
Music dictates everything in my life. I'd be hard pressed to think of a cool example right now (though there have been many), music has a habit of really playing with my emotions. Because of that - and the fact that the majority of my listening is done portably - there have been some pretty incredible parallels with music and what's going on around me.

Jan 17, 2007 at 7:52 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3DCadman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello All!

As I was driving home today, I was listening to "Sleep: Murray Ostril" by Godspeed You Black Emperor! It was a beautiful sunny day (yet very cold).

As I was moving along the road, there was a canopy of trees on both sides of the road and they were covered in ice. It was a beautiful sight as the sun shone through them, glistening.

The song was at the 17:00 mark or so, and it just seemed to match the mood, pace and atmosphere of the moment. It was like the song was made for that time and place.

What capped it all off was, THE SONG ENDED A THE SAME TIME AS I WAS PULLING INTO THE DRIVEWAY!!!
blink.gif

I had another one a few years ago, also driving. I had just picked up a new car, and there was a huge thunderstorm coming. I was driving on the highway, and I was playing "The Duel of the Fates" from "The Phantom Menace" soundtrack. All of a sudden, in the distance there was lightening striking all over the place. Also, it seemed like the music fit the scene perfectly.

Duel of the Fates rules
icon10.gif

Jan 17, 2007 at 11:57 PM Post #7 of 9
You treat your significant other to dinner and a night-out, only to come back home and hear Jermaine Stewart playing on the radio....
mad.gif

Jan 18, 2007 at 3:09 AM Post #8 of 9
I often listen to certain music in the morning before school starts to get me pumped up, especially on big test days.

These songs have worked particularly well:

Ready Steady Go, By Rick Oakenfold
Blurry, By Puddle of Mud
Hemorrhage, by Fuel
Getting Away with Murder, By Papa Roach
Here I Go Again on My Own, By White Snakes
Lots of Techno
Tom Petty
Metallica
Rammstein
Korn

really anything that gets me amped.

Jan 18, 2007 at 4:10 AM Post #9 of 9
whenever I play Dimmu Borgir in my car's cd player, I always seem to end up pulling into the driveway at the end of "puritania" just as Shagrath mumbles "Earth, successfully...erased". creepy. lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back