Music and Math
Jan 12, 2010 at 3:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Pepito

500+ Head-Fier
Hey, I need some help from my fellow head-fiers. I'm doing a math project and I need some insight into the world of audio engineers and the like.

How is math applied/used in audio engineering?

Thanks in advanced!

Jan 13, 2010 at 3:38 AM Post #2 of 5
I'm only taking intro computer engineering courses, but my teacher has spoken a lot about how analog is converted to digital, and different methods of doing so.. That is mostly on the computer side of things though, not necessarily audio engineers. If I had to guess, I would think that the audio engineers simply convert analog to digital using methods already created by electrical and software engineers.

Sorry for being vague, it's been a while since he's talked about it..

Jan 13, 2010 at 8:02 AM Post #3 of 5
Jan 13, 2010 at 3:44 PM Post #4 of 5
Aside from the masses of other applications, Fourier series are often used in harmonic analysis to provide functions for waves using infinite series combined with trigonometry: Fourier series - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia / 5. Harmonic Analysis

You do need a working understanding of calculus & infinite series, though. But if you have that--and maybe some Taylor series under the hood as well--they can be quite easily understood.

Here's a cool java applet to play around with: Fourier Series Applet

How exactly this is used in engineering audio-related products, I do not know.

Jan 13, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #5 of 5
Fourier Series :
(a1 cos t + b1 sin t) is the fundamental.

(a2 cos 2t + b2 sin 2t) is the second harmonic.

(a3 cos 3t + b3 sin 3t) is the third harmonic, etc.

The distance between notes is 2^(n/12) hz in the well tempered system where n is the number of semitones (eg. 12 semitones is an octave; therefore frequency is doubled. 2^(2/12) will give you a tone, so if we multiple A 440 by 1.1224etc we get 493.88etc) (which results in an change in duration of a particular recorded clip by the same amount).

Not sure how "math is used in the studio", but math and music sure.

There's also a lot of relation to phi Detailed here a little

If I recall correctly, the climax of most songs occurs at 1/phi (0.61803398874989484820458683436564), but dont quote me on this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back