Music and Gaming Headphone Recommendations?
Nov 16, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #16 of 66
So if I didn't get a sound card and just got an amp, say an O2, and plugged it into the the back of my motherboard it wouldn't sound as good as just plugging my headphones straight into the sound card?
Also I'm confused why people say sound cards make the sound better after watching this video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d1rXcJuEsy0

The O2 (Objective 2) amplifier is better then the amp built into the SB-Z card or E10K.
So using it to drive headphones is a good choice.
Getting an Asus Xonar DX (used, $60) and using it with a O2 ($130) would make a great combo.
There is also the Schiit Magni ($100) amp and FiiO E11K ($60) amp
With only buy an amp, your still using the motherboard's DAC (Digital to Analog Converter), which is usually not as good as the DAC function built into the SB-Z or E10K.
Also the motherboard's built in audio processor may not have as good headphone surround sound.
Motherboard's in the $150 and up range start having fairly decent built in audio (Realtek ALC1150)
Chances are $250-$300 motherboard's built in audio would be about equal (or even the same hardware) to a Sound Blaster Z sound card ($60).
The guys over at Tek Syndicate explain computer audio a little differently then I would, or other Head-Fiers.

Every year motherboard on-board (built in) audio hardware in general gets better, can't argue there.
Also each motherboard manufacturer decides how much they will spend for built in audio hardware.
There are little extra's that can or might not be used for the audio hardware, which can effect audio quality, depending on who made it.
Each time a motherboard design is revised by the manufacturer, the audio hardware used can change, for better or worse (assuming it's usually better)

Nov 16, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #17 of 66
Everything after the 13:30ish mark is basically correct (how the game designers work hard to make things sound right and it's usually a good idea to trust them, and to color your sound with headphones, not software). What he says about impedance, output impedance, dampening factor - all basically wrong. To understand these terms, you'll have to do some digging. I'm half inclined to make my own video after watching those guys stumble through the concepts. The Mayflower guy is no engineer.

He was only half right about noise. I got lower noise levels after getting a soundcard with IEM's. Not by much, mind you, but it did help. Plugging into the motherboard instead of front panel will help indeed, either way.

Soundcards are cheap, that's why we recommend them. The onboard software/drivers like Dolby some prefer to in-game DSP. CS:GO for instance uses DTS Surround. There's also EAX, CMSS, Dolby, and others on the market.

Also, like I said, they really don't get the whole impedance/volume thing. Ohms is not all that matters, there's also sensitivity. The $700 pair he shows with a 38 ohm impedance are harder to drive than some 250 ohm cans.

I could keep going.

The point here is this: if you want DSP like Dolby, and don't like the game's built-in-audio, then grab a soundcard. Most recommended here aren't even recommended for that purpose - but because they can supply more clean power than your motherboard to get higher volumes on some of the harder to drive cans like the Q701 - and for CHEAP. The Soundblaster Z or STX is probably at least half the price of the O2/ODAC as shown in that video, maybe less, while filling the power requirements for any headphones recommended here. Also, a dedicated DAC is gonna be cleaner than onboard.

If you want neutral, HD558's or Q701's (both modifiable) + a soundcard would be your best bet. I take back my X1 recommendation based on your comments about bloated bass.

And FYI, I'm a HUGE fan of the O2/ODAC combo :). I stopped using my soundcard's Dolby processing in favor of CS:GO's built in option, just because the difference I heard was just different, not better, and not worth the hassle of me switching inputs from USB (preferred by me) to optical everytime I wanted to play.

If you ever want to add an external DAC or amp, those are good ones to look to (O2/ODAC). Just even adding an amp to your motherboard or soundcard's output could help bring in more control to the sound - dampening factor - though not as they described it. The DAC helps get you a cleaner signal to start with - something motherboards can't really ever seem to get right.

Nov 16, 2014 at 6:33 PM Post #18 of 66
Okay thanks for all the explanation, it helps a lot! Based on the recommendations I think I'm going to go for the HD 558's and just to be sure would you guys tell me to go for the asus xonar stx ($180) or the schiit magni + modi (~$200)? If it helps the motherboard I am going to be getting for my pc is the MSI Z97-G45 Gaming: http://www.amazon.com/MSI-DDR3-Motherboards-Z97-G45-GAMING/dp/B00K23BYCI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416180745&sr=8-1&keywords=Msi+z97-g45+gaming

Nov 16, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #19 of 66
Okay thanks for all the explanation, it helps a lot! Based on the recommendations I think I'm going to go for the HD 558's and just to be sure would you guys tell me to go for the asus xonar stx ($180) or the schiit magni + modi (~$200)? If it helps the motherboard I am going to be getting for my pc is the MSI Z97-G45 Gaming: http://www.amazon.com/MSI-DDR3-Motherboards-Z97-G45-GAMING/dp/B00K23BYCI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416180745&sr=8-1&keywords=Msi+z97-g45+gaming

Your motherboard comes with the Realtek ALC1150 audio processor and uses Realtek software.
Claims it comes with a built in headphone amplifier.
Also comes with Sound Blaster Cinema software, assuming it comes with SBX headphone surround sound.
So Creative Labs ported it's software over to the Realtek hardware.
So for on-board audio, your doing fairly good.

The Essence STX ($180) and Schiit Magni/Modi ($198) might be over kill for $100 headphones (HD558).
Better off spending your audio budget for better headphones.
Audio Technica ATH-AD900X?

Nov 16, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #20 of 66
Your motherboard comes with the Realtek ALC1150 audio processor and uses Realtek software.
Claims it comes with a built in headphone amplifier.
Also comes with Sound Blaster Cinema software, assuming it comes with SBX headphone surround sound.
So Creative Labs ported it's software over to the Realtek hardware.
So for on-board audio, your doing fairly good.

The Essence STX ($180) and Schiit Magni/Modi ($198) might be over kill for $100 headphones (HD558).
Better off spending your audio budget for better headphones.
Audio Technica ATH-AD900X?

Is there another pair you would recommend besides those? I only ask because I'm fairly sure I'm going to hate that 3D wing support that headphone uses.

Nov 16, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #21 of 66
I'd go Q701 or K612 (more neutral, better headband)) + O2 or Magni.

Nov 16, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #23 of 66
If you can budget one in, do so, but the amp is more important with these AKG's. If your motherboard lets you do optical out, the Modi has an optical version, fyi. I'm a USB guy myself - seems crisper?

Nov 16, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #24 of 66
Is there an option with a mix of the K612's and Q701's? With the K612 headband and sound signature but with a removable cable?

Or what about the HE-400's + magni, that would be about $400 but I'm sure I can find the HE-400's for less than $300 now.

Nov 16, 2014 at 11:57 PM Post #25 of 66
Nope. The K712 would be what you're looking for - a better Q701 - nice headband, and better pads for more bass. HE-400's are not neutral at all, and not the best for gaming. Unless you only listened to EDM and jazz, I couldn't recommend them.

Nov 17, 2014 at 12:48 AM Post #26 of 66
Nope. The K712 would be what you're looking for - a better Q701 - nice headband, and better pads for more bass. HE-400's are not neutral at all, and not the best for gaming. Unless you only listened to EDM and jazz, I couldn't recommend them.

Oh, awesome the 712's look like they are exactly what I want. They are 62 ohms and have like 101 db sensitivity, do I need an amp? These are $350 on amazon so if I need an amp I will either have to get it later or find a deal on them on head-fi which I'm going to look for in a second.

Nov 17, 2014 at 12:57 AM Post #27 of 66
You'll need an amp with them, something that can do 100mW or more into 62 ohms. 250-500 would be prime for any source. That sensitivity rating is per volt rather than mW, iirc, so they look better than they are. Also, when third parties test the sensitivity, it's always lower. The AKG K series are hard to drive! Harder than my LCD-2.2F's!

Nov 17, 2014 at 12:59 AM Post #28 of 66
You'll need an amp with them, something that can do 100mW or more into 62 ohms. 250-500 would be prime for any source. That sensitivity rating is per volt rather than mW, iirc, so they look better than they are. Also, when third parties test the sensitivity, it's always lower. The AKG K series are hard to drive! Harder than my LCD-2.2F's!

So would a schiit magni power these well? Would you recommend that option over the 712's then?

On here there are a couple for a good price and good condition, one for $285 and another for $275. Would you recommend the Q701 + bass mod over the K712 at those prices?

Nov 17, 2014 at 1:00 AM Post #29 of 66
Q701's + bass mod + http://m.ebay.com/itm/261445245520 would be a cheaper option, with 98% the same sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back