Multiple USB Audio Devices
May 24, 2008 at 7:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

DarkAngel

DarkAngel's a man, baby!
I have a Vista computer and recently had more than one external USB amp/dac connected and drivers loaded in "sound" icon section.

The active amp/dac playing music is marked "default" with check mark next to it in sound section, but if I wanted to switch to another USB sound device shown and mark it as default the music would still play through previously marked default device

Shouldn't music automatically only play through current "default" marked sound device no matter how many are connected?
Do I have to unplug other devices so only one USB amp/dac is connected?

Any advice on this?

May 24, 2008 at 8:41 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Many times the Player software will have similar output options. Check this, I would think it would still be set to the previous device.

I am using Windows Media Player 11........when I go through several sub menus there about sound leads back to general Vista "sound" icon section discussed above with devices listed and check mark next to default device.

Doesn't want to easily switch to newly marked default device, wants to stay with current device

May 25, 2008 at 3:42 AM Post #5 of 6
Yeah. I only have one usb audio device. It works only out of a specific one of the three usb ports on my laptop. Even then, it only works after a restart.

So, I suppose trying different ports for each device might result in what you want? If not, I suppose you just have to unplug the one which you are not using. With a laptop, no big deal.

May 25, 2008 at 6:57 PM Post #6 of 6
Hmm... why are you using system default audio device for output in software? The default setting in XP/W2k (audio options) means just that when you set the playback software to output through system default audio port this setting takes action (i.e. you define the output device there). If you set the software output through your USB audio interface A or B then this system default audio device does not have effect. In XP/W2k there's also a setting named something like "use preferred devices only" or "use only default device". Have you checked the effect this option makes?

EDIT:
It's possible that this works better when using ASIO or Kernel Streaming capable playback software ... though, even WMP supports DS only (least this one I have) it does have a setting for output device selection (there all your active audio devices should be listed). On WMP 9/10 this option can be located @ Tools->Options->Devices -tab->Speakers ...

jiitee

Users who are viewing this thread

Back