Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Sep 12, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #14,567 of 16,931
Wow Joker, this is a spectacular effort. And the result is just mind boggling. Thank you for putting the time into this. It has really made it easier for novice audiophiles like myself to join the group and really enjoy some quality headphones =) My last purchase (VSonic GR06) was heavily influenced by your research. I'm now looking to upgrade again =)

I'm an avid trance fan that loves his bass and is looking to spend max $150. To and from university and at the gym. When entering the price range into your table and arranging by sound quality, I get the list below.

Brainwavz B2      9.2 $130
VSonic VC1000      9.2 $125
VSonic GR07 Bass Edition      9.1 $129
Rock-It Sounds R-50 / R-50M1     9.1 $120
HiFiMan RE-400 Waterline      9 $99

Given my music tastes, would you recommend any of these (or maybe some not on the list) above the others? I have also read many good things about Yamaha EPH-100 but they are rated a little bit lower on your list. Really appreciate your help! Stefan

Sep 12, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #14,568 of 16,931
Yeah, I don't know where I'd be in this hobby without Joker and ClieOS and their awesome compendium of headphones.

Of all those, the GR07BE is the only one that could be considered bassy. The others are neutral to analytical, which wouldn't be the best for trance and bass. The Yamaha you mentioned, as well as the RHA MA-750 (very durable and would be good in the gym) should be on your list as well, and I'm sure Joker can tell you which is best for your needs and recommend more good options. 

Sep 13, 2014 at 12:54 AM Post #14,569 of 16,931
  Wow Joker, this is a spectacular effort. And the result is just mind boggling. Thank you for putting the time into this. It has really made it easier for novice audiophiles like myself to join the group and really enjoy some quality headphones =) My last purchase (VSonic GR06) was heavily influenced by your research. I'm now looking to upgrade again =)

I'm an avid trance fan that loves his bass and is looking to spend max $150. To and from university and at the gym. When entering the price range into your table and arranging by sound quality, I get the list below.

Brainwavz B2      9.2 $130
VSonic VC1000      9.2 $125
VSonic GR07 Bass Edition      9.1 $129
Rock-It Sounds R-50 / R-50M1     9.1 $120
HiFiMan RE-400 Waterline      9 $99

Given my music tastes, would you recommend any of these (or maybe some not on the list) above the others? I have also read many good things about Yamaha EPH-100 but they are rated a little bit lower on your list. Really appreciate your help! Stefan

Great sound doesn't mean much if it's not the sound signature you are looking for. Preference definitely trumps performance at this level. ZapX629 is right - out of those, the GR07 BE is the only one that can be suitable for a bass fan, and even that barely trumps the GR06 when it comes to bass quantity. The EPH-100 is a different story - it's a great earphone for bass - very extended and powerful, but not lacking in other areas. I really like them for EDM and it seems like it would be more the right choice for you.

Sep 13, 2014 at 1:35 AM Post #14,570 of 16,931

Great sound doesn't mean much if it's not the sound signature you are looking for. Preference definitely trumps performance at this level.

exactly why i went for R3 over ma-750 . its kind of funny , i got my R3 for under $100 and asking on ma750 is $150 .

Sep 13, 2014 at 4:06 AM Post #14,572 of 16,931

Great sound doesn't mean much if it's not the sound signature you are looking for. Preference definitely trumps performance at this level. ZapX629 is right - out of those, the GR07 BE is the only one that can be suitable for a bass fan, and even that barely trumps the GR06 when it comes to bass quantity. The EPH-100 is a different story - it's a great earphone for bass - very extended and powerful, but not lacking in other areas. I really like them for EDM and it seems like it would be more the right choice for you.

Yea that's what I've been struggling with, this idea of sound quality vs. sound signature. How does one even objectively define sound quality? Overall balance? Does the fact that I love bass, by definition, mean that I prefer earphones that are less balanced? Hmm just some audio philosophical questions haha.

Seems like I'll be getting the EPH-100 then. Thanks for your input, it's really appreciated. And I respect the fact that you're willing to help someone out even with purchasing lower-priced earphones =)

Sep 13, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #14,573 of 16,931

Yea that's what I've been struggling with, this idea of sound quality vs. sound signature. How does one even objectively define sound quality? Overall balance? Does the fact that I love bass, by definition, mean that I prefer earphones that are less balanced? 

Like Joker said, when you get to a certain tier, it's about your preferences vs others'. There are some headphones that can stand with things in other tiers and even beat them in certain instances. I can't speak for Joker, but while any rating is subjective, the objectivity comes from balancing pros and cons, strengths vs weaknesses, etc., then taking into account all the other little factors like imaging, layering, headstage, resolution, detail, and so on. For some people a weakness can be a strength and vice versa. 

Don't feel like you aren't getting a great headphone just because it's a few tenths of a point lower. To have a great sound quality, a headphone usually has a more neutral or analytical sound. While it's sonically superb, this isn't going to make a fan of hip hop or EDM (unless it's leaner music like 80's dance stuff) very happy. Such a person would much rather have a funner sound, even if it sacrifices some clarity and detail. The fact that things like the EPH-100 and the MA-750 are so close to the others in quality is a testament to their value. 

Sep 13, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #14,574 of 16,931
Thank you very much, guys (especially to Joker)! I'll try to find X10 and pray it will fit to her ears properly.

You'll be surprised by how small it is 
wink.gif

Does the fact that I love bass, by definition, mean that I prefer earphones that are less balanced? 

Yes, pretty much.

Sep 14, 2014 at 3:27 AM Post #14,575 of 16,931
After having the FXT90 for almost a year, I gotta admit I love these and agree with its "engaging" sound. My ears prefer FXT90 more and more to the Yamaha's EPH-100 whenever I play some rock / metal but I wish the FXT90 could have bit more rumble and boominess of the EPH-100.

Furthermore, I'm impressed that FXT90 is few of earphones I have that is good on its own stock tips. I tried fitting it with Sony's MH1C tips and it sounded more livelier (and better in my opinion), like guitarists amping their guitars toward maximum volume. But, I ended up going back to the stocks because it fatigues quickly.

Although I have no problem with its lack of deep-bass and rumble (or boominess), I've been wondering what is mid-bassy? As in mid-bass hump that you described in your review. 

Sep 14, 2014 at 5:56 AM Post #14,577 of 16,931
I also bought astrotec AM800 based on the review here but i found them lacking in bass.
1. The sound is clear and very bright as described but there is no deep bass to be felt or hear at all.
2.They sound is very loud on my smartphone -- on the past i  have tried some Sony 16 ohm 100db + also the famous MH1 and the volume was really low, especially the mh1.
3.My brother bought some cheap oem headphones from e bay for 5$  and while the are lacking clarity , the quantity of the bass surprised me , and the music was still very enjoyable.Loud too!
4.So what i am looking are easy to drive headphones for my smartphone (16 ohm?) (105db and up?) ,sound like the astrotec but with way more bass...The JVC HA-FX1-3 are they good for that? Also thinking about the  Denon AH-C300 ...

Sep 14, 2014 at 7:18 AM Post #14,578 of 16,931
  After having the FXT90 for almost a year, I gotta admit I love these and agree with its "engaging" sound. My ears prefer FXT90 more and more to the Yamaha's EPH-100 whenever I play some rock / metal but I wish the FXT90 could have bit more rumble and boominess of the EPH-100.

Furthermore, I'm impressed that FXT90 is few of earphones I have that is good on its own stock tips. I tried fitting it with Sony's MH1C tips and it sounded more livelier (and better in my opinion), like guitarists amping their guitars toward maximum volume. But, I ended up going back to the stocks because it fatigues quickly.

Although I have no problem with its lack of deep-bass and rumble (or boominess), I've been wondering what is mid-bassy? As in mid-bass hump that you described in your review. 

You can try Philips 3590 tips if you want more rumble on your FXT-90.

Sep 14, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #14,580 of 16,931
  I also bought astrotec AM800 based on the review here but i found them lacking in bass.
1. The sound is clear and very bright as described but there is no deep bass to be felt or hear at all.
2.They sound is very loud on my smartphone -- on the past i  have tried some Sony 16 ohm 100db + also the famous MH1 and the volume was really low, especially the mh1.
3.My brother bought some cheap oem headphones from e bay for 5$  and while the are lacking clarity , the quantity of the bass surprised me , and the music was still very enjoyable.Loud too!
4.So what i am looking are easy to drive headphones for my smartphone (16 ohm?) (105db and up?) ,sound like the astrotec but with way more bass...The JVC HA-FX1-3 are they good for that? Also thinking about the  Denon AH-C300 ...

ma-750 sounds good for you and yes ah-c300 will fit your bill , but c300 are huge , bigger then ma750 , and its hard keeping them in if your ears are not big . if you are looking for cheaper options , fx1 and 3 are bass heavy too ,but at this price i would like to go for piston 2 not super bass heavy but enough and nice airy sound too .
 so long story short , if you can do over ear , ma750 if you cant , c300 , if you are low on budget then piston 2 .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back