Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Mar 19, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #13,261 of 16,931
I have a question regarding sound signature, that I have already asked in a separate forum but am asking here for good measure.

When people say that the sound is neutral, what EXACTLY does this mean? I have heard the JH's are very neutral so I assume that means they hardly colour the sound, only to then hear some people don't like the JH13's because they have the JH 'house sound.' What on earth does that mean, if they're neutral then they should sound neutral. Does this mean to say all headphones that sound neutral carry the JH 'house sound.' At this point it seems like people are just inventing new words and phrases.. Confused :s

When it comes to headphones being neutral, it does mean that there's minimal coloration.  When someone refers to a certain brand's "house sound," they're referring to that company's sound quality MO.  If a company's line of headphones tend to be close to neutral, then their house sound could be considered neutral. 

Mar 20, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #13,262 of 16,931
  Hi Joker,

Thanks for all the great reviews, it's a brilliant resource.

I recently had the VSD1 and VSD1S but they both fell apart pretty quick, so I got the Astrotec AM-800 as a replacement. I found the VSD1S a little dark sounding, I prefer more sparkly treble, how do you think the AM-800 would compare? Also the bass quantity on both models was exactly to my liking, above neutral but not overbaring; although I found the delivery of bass to be a little soft (lacking that satisfying slam from a kick drum for example), How would you compare the AM-800 to the VSD1/S in this instance? I own the Vsonic R02 silver and while i like them, I find them a little bass light, do the AM-800 have more bass than these?Also, Astrotec seem to have released a number of new models in the sub $50 and sub $100 range, (AM-600, AM-900, AX30, AX35) any plans to review any of these?

Thanks,

The AM-800 will have more treble energy overall compared to the VSD1S but less bass impact. It’s a tradeoff, and on the whole it sounds like you might prefer the Astrotecs.

I have an Astrotec AX35 which so far seems pretty good. I’ll review it soon. I posted my initial thoughts on it here: http://theheadphonelist.com/brief-impressions-t-peos-accidentally-extraordinary-meze-narmoo-astrotec-olasonic-ear-earphones/

I have a question regarding sound signature, that I have already asked in a separate forum but am asking here for good measure.

When people say that the sound is neutral, what EXACTLY does this mean? I have heard the JH's are very neutral so I assume that means they hardly colour the sound, only to then hear some people don't like the JH13's because they have the JH 'house sound.' What on earth does that mean, if they're neutral then they should sound neutral. Does this mean to say all headphones that sound neutral carry the JH 'house sound.' At this point it seems like people are just inventing new words and phrases.. Confused :s

In the very basic sense it’s as Cunnifferous said – no “extra” emphasis on any part of the spectrum. However, just what that actually means in terms of the sound entering your ear will vary based on who you ask. For example, Etymotic Research advocates the diffuse-field reference standard for earphones, which their own earphones match with something like a 90% accuracy. To many people Etymotic earphones do sound neutral, but others fine them bright or lacking in bass.

Regarding the JH13, it's slightly off what I consider neutral as it has quite a bit of bass impact.

Mar 21, 2014 at 6:59 AM Post #13,264 of 16,931
Best IEM around 150$ for my preference?

I listen to alot of Christina Aguilera & Jason Mraz type of music.

I also love bass so that means im a basshead? And I also like the vocals crisp.

What IEM would you recommend? I contacted a music store here and what they recommended were Rockit R50 and RE400.

I just bought a CX 300 II yesterday and I was kind of disappointed and underwhelmed although the bass is good, I felt like the voices are muddy so please help me choose an IEM that I will not regret within that price range. Thank you.

And please tell me whether the choice will be a significant upgrade from cx300ii to the one im looking for.

Mar 21, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #13,265 of 16,931
Hi Joker ,

I have the following 3 iems , RE-262 , RE-272 , EQ-5 , and i was wondering what would you consider an upgrade over these 3

I just tried the RE600 and i liked it a lot (it sounds like a vastly improved RE-262 with much better bass and better detail retrieval , but it seems kinda 'slow' compared to the 272/eq5 plus i don't think it's price justifies the small differences i hear when compared with the 272/eq5)

what would you buy if you liked these 3 iems but wanted something EVEN better ? let's stay below 500$ for now

Thanx
biggrin.gif

Mar 21, 2014 at 8:03 AM Post #13,266 of 16,931

What IEM would you recommend? I contacted a music store here and what they recommended were Rockit R50 and RE400.

I just bought a CX 300 II yesterday and I was kind of disappointed and underwhelmed although the bass is good, I felt like the voices are muddy so please help me choose an IEM that I will not regret within that price range. Thank you.

And please tell me whether the choice will be a significant upgrade from cx300ii to the one im looking for.

cx-300 is an entry level phone , its no where close to r50 or re-400 , for you i think xba-h1 will do good , cuz r-50 and re 400 are way low on bass when compared to cx300 .
     im gona ask you same question , what is the thing you want ?
      by the way re-400 will be nice choice too .

Mar 21, 2014 at 9:38 AM Post #13,267 of 16,931

Need more input :frowning2:

Mar 21, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #13,268 of 16,931
Need more input
frown.gif

I don't think you'd like RE-400 if you like bass.  They were too bass light for me.

At $150, I'd look at Dunu DN-1000, Zero Audio Carbo Doppio, KEF M200, Fostex TE-05

Mar 21, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #13,269 of 16,931
Hi Joker ,

I have the following 3 iems , RE-262 , RE-272 , EQ-5 , and i was wondering what would you consider an upgrade over these 3

I just tried the RE600 and i liked it a lot (it sounds like a vastly improved RE-262 with much better bass and better detail retrieval , but it seems kinda 'slow' compared to the 272/eq5 plus i don't think it's price justifies the small differences i hear when compared with the 272/eq5)

what would you buy if you liked these 3 iems but wanted something EVEN better ? let's stay below 500$ for now

Thanx :D

I just reviewed the Noble 4 and it seems to fit all your requirements. You can also check joker's noble 4s review... They sound pretty similar.

Mar 22, 2014 at 12:01 AM Post #13,270 of 16,931
  No ratings for Vsonic VSD1/S?

I reviewed it here: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/more-less-vsonic-vsd1-and-vsd1s . In terms of sound quality, I rate it just a bit above the VC02 model. 

The R-50 and RE-400 probably won't have enough bass for you, especially considering your music preferences. If you want solid bass and clear vocals the Yamaha EPH-100 would be my pick, but there are lots of other good options such as the JVC FXT90 and even RBH EP1.

Hi Joker ,

Thanx
biggrin.gif

I've only tried the Noble 4S and not the 4 or 4C but it's one of the only IEMs I could call an upgrade to the RE272.

Mar 22, 2014 at 4:26 AM Post #13,271 of 16,931
Speaking of Noble, they've just announced some new reference products: http://theheadphonelist.com/noble-launches-fr-pr-variable-tuning-ear-monitors/ 

Mar 22, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #13,274 of 16,931
Hi ljockerl,

Can You compare yamaha eph-100 and nuforce ne-700x? I know that a lot of people will say something like "eph is way better" but nuforce have a lot of good reviews in my country and nobody have booth so i really want to know Your opinion. I have soundmagic e10 now and looking upgrade. I usually listen Rock music, tons of RHCP and I would be grateful if You compare eph100 and ne700x separately in bass/mids/highs and soundstage

Cheers :)

Mar 22, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #13,275 of 16,931
Any insight as to how the Sony MH1C and the Nuforce NE-700X compare to the Vsonic GR99?  I have the Vsonic, and the descriptions of the Sony and Nuforce sound similar to the Vsonic.  Would either be an upgrade over the Vsonic?  In particular, I'd be looking for something with a similar overall sound signature to the Vsonic but a bit better performance in the midrange (a bit more clear and a bit less veiled in the mids).

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back