Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Mar 13, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #13,216 of 16,931

The author should've asked joker to be part of the IEM testing 
biggrin.gif
 but if I were there, my vote's on Philips SHE3590 hands down.

Mar 13, 2014 at 1:14 AM Post #13,217 of 16,931
Posted a short introduction to Bluetooth audio technology here: http://theheadphonelist.com/wireless-fidelity-making-sense-bluetooth-headphone-technology/

I tried doing a bit of research on Bluetooth headphones last week and couldn't find what I needed in one place. I spent a few days piecing it all together from various sources and eventually decided to pool all the info in what I hope is a digestible format. Perhaps it will help those who are as clueless as I was get up to speed on the technologies, challenges, and limitations of Bluetooth audio 
redface.gif

Mar 13, 2014 at 2:42 AM Post #13,218 of 16,931
Hey Joker,

I had been using a pair of VSonic GR02 Bass Edition IEMs for near about 2 years, and I loved them. Then the biflange tips fell off somewhere and they weren't the same again, and then they gave up on me completely, and I got a set of HiSound Wooduo 2 as a replacement/apparent upgrade. They are good, but I really did not like them that much. The bass is good, but covers a lot of the other frequencies. So now I was in the process of researching and procuring another set of IEMs, and I had kind of shortlisted Sony MH1C and VSonic VSD1. If there are any other options you would recommend, I would be glad to hear about it. My budget is not much, max to max around 50-70$ range. My concerns/thoughts about the other 2 are:

Sony MH1C - Not Officially available in India, but getting it on ebay India for INR 1200 (thats roughly 20$, so that brings a doubt to my mind, are they fake? they are probably imported/grey market items).
VSonic VSD1 - Available for about INR 3500 (60$)

Now I have learnt that the MH1C cable is Bad (if not fake that is), and that the VSD1 though good overall, the bass isn't That much.

Can you give me a comparison of these 2 with GR02s and Wooduos? Will they really be an upgrade or just a replacement? Do you think the MH1C can be available for 20$?

Mar 13, 2014 at 3:35 AM Post #13,219 of 16,931
A revolution may be on its way to change the audio scene:
http://www.technologyreview.com/view/512496/first-graphene-audio-speaker-easily-outperforms-traditional-designs/
http://www.extremetech.com/electronics/150646-berkeley-creates-the-first-graphene-earphones-and-unsurprisingly-theyre-awesome

Mar 13, 2014 at 4:19 AM Post #13,220 of 16,931
Yes it's truly a revolution but unfortunately they're only comparing it to an old Sennheiser MX400 which is a dynamic driver earbud. They should at least compare it with the current BA IEMs. I think it's still a long way to go before they truly refine it and be ready for the commercial market.

Mar 13, 2014 at 4:35 AM Post #13,221 of 16,931
  Hey Joker,

I had been using a pair of VSonic GR02 Bass Edition IEMs for near about 2 years, and I loved them. Then the biflange tips fell off somewhere and they weren't the same again, and then they gave up on me completely, and I got a set of HiSound Wooduo 2 as a replacement/apparent upgrade. They are good, but I really did not like them that much. The bass is good, but covers a lot of the other frequencies. So now I was in the process of researching and procuring another set of IEMs, and I had kind of shortlisted Sony MH1C and VSonic VSD1. If there are any other options you would recommend, I would be glad to hear about it. My budget is not much, max to max around 50-70$ range. My concerns/thoughts about the other 2 are:

Sony MH1C - Not Officially available in India, but getting it on ebay India for INR 1200 (thats roughly 20$, so that brings a doubt to my mind, are they fake? they are probably imported/grey market items).
VSonic VSD1 - Available for about INR 3500 (60$)

Now I have learnt that the MH1C cable is Bad (if not fake that is), and that the VSD1 though good overall, the bass isn't That much.

Can you give me a comparison of these 2 with GR02s and Wooduos? Will they really be an upgrade or just a replacement? Do you think the MH1C can be available for 20$?

The Wooduo2 is something that's really only suitable for bassheads. The GR02 is bassier than the VSD1 by a margin, but the VSD1 is not lacking in bass compared to a flat/neutral sound. I quite like it.

Is that $20 for a bulk-package MH1C? If so that's not too far off what the US prices were before they got very popular. It's a darker, warmer sound compared to the VSD1, for example, but hard not to recommend at this price even with the crap cable.

PS you might also want to try a Philips SHE3580 or SHE3590 - they're very inexpensive and close to the GR02BE in sound quality. 

Mar 13, 2014 at 5:19 AM Post #13,222 of 16,931

PS you might also want to try a Philips SHE3580 or SHE3590 - they're very inexpensive and close to the GR02BE in sound quality. 

+1000. For people who want cheap earphones with fun sound and still new to IEM stuff, SHE3590 is all they need. But, placing Sony's hybrid tips is a must because the stock's tips are as hard as bullets. The hybrid tips make it the most comfy IEM one ever have, although the isolation doesn't improve much IMO.

Also note that it can be worn over the ear
biggrin.gif
 it takes a practice.

Mar 13, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #13,223 of 16,931
A revolution may be on its way to change the audio scene:
http://www.technologyreview.com/view/512496/first-graphene-audio-speaker-easily-outperforms-traditional-designs/
http://www.extremetech.com/electronics/150646-berkeley-creates-the-first-graphene-earphones-and-unsurprisingly-theyre-awesome

yep! you're right, i remember , few decades ago when kevlar appears there was  some articles, how to make speaker diaphragms from it....    ( video: OLED no more just one decade... )

Mar 13, 2014 at 6:22 PM Post #13,225 of 16,931
i have a question regarding audio cabling in earphones.
so the question is :
i know that connecting a speaker/receiver setup with digital connection is better than analog.
for example, hdmi is much better than the analog red/white connection.
so, what about earphones?
how does the 3.5mm connection fare with all this?
why don't they make a digital standard for earphone connection?
thank you

Mar 13, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #13,226 of 16,931
  i have a question regarding audio cabling in earphones.
so the question is :
i know that connecting a speaker/receiver setup with digital connection is better than analog.
for example, hdmi is much better than the analog red/white connection.
so, what about earphones?
how does the 3.5mm connection fare with all this?
why don't they make a digital standard for earphone connection?
thank you

Drivers only accept analog input, so somewhere along the chain, you need to convert it back to analog.

If the earphones accepted a digital input, they'd require a Digital to Analog Converter (DAC) plus an amplifier built into the earphones. They would require a power input (to power the DAC and amp). That would add a lot to the bulk and expense of earphones.

An earphone cable is not very long as cables go. So the potential for signal degradation is very low.

Mar 14, 2014 at 12:30 AM Post #13,227 of 16,931

+1000. For people who want cheap earphones with fun sound and still new to IEM stuff, SHE3590 is all they need. But, placing Sony's hybrid tips is a must because the stock's tips are as hard as bullets. The hybrid tips make it the most comfy IEM one ever have, although the isolation doesn't improve much IMO.

Also note that it can be worn over the ear
biggrin.gif
 it takes a practice.

The Meelec M6 double-flanges can improve isolation on those a little and don't sound half bad. I use them over-the-ear as well. 

Mar 14, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #13,230 of 16,931

I haven't tried the IM02 so I'm not sure what it sounds like. What are you looking for in comparison to the BA200?

From reading your description it sounds like a Sony EX1000 but the fit on those doesn't work for everyone and they might be hard to find these days.

Either I guess. The SD-2 is definitely a little warm of neutral but I like it quite a bit. 

Dunu earphones tend to be pretty tough and the DN1000 sounds very good. It's at the upper end of your price range though. 

The JVC FXT90 was pretty well-made and reminds me of the Silver Bullet in some ways, but sounds better overall. It's $100-ish. 

The Shure SE215 is not really an upgrade in sound quality compared to the Silver Bullet but it's well-made and has detachable cables so if something goes wrong with the cord (as it often does) you just replace the cord. Lastly, the ATH-CKM500 is comparable in sound (albeit quite a bit bassier than the Silver Bullet), cheaper, and should be pretty durable as well. 

P.S. keep in mind that it might be more cost effective to replace a $60 IEM every year than to buy a $200 one and replace it after two years. 

Thanks so much for the help. After looking around a bit I decided to order the Dunu dn1000 from mp4nation. I read there were reviews going both ways about them (mp4nation) but I took the chance (I live in Sweden and it's difficult to find any site that ship them here). I hope they dn1000's will be more resilient and durable and also looking forward to an upgrade in sound quality as well! Thanks, Peace

Users who are viewing this thread

Back