Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Jan 19, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #12,661 of 16,931
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I'm in the UK, so the prices are slightly different. 

The only reason I'm slightly reluctant to get the FDX80 are because they look pretty heavy, but if there arent many v shaped alternatives, then I'll go and take the plunge. 

Also, I know that I've been told that simply increasing the bass with an EQ with balanced headphones could cause distortion, but would reducing the mids work? (so that I'd still get a v shape, but maybe less distortion?

http://lifehacker.com/should-i-use-an-equalizer-when-i-listen-to-music-1488713937

Jan 19, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #12,662 of 16,931
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I'm in the UK, so the prices are slightly different. 

The only reason I'm slightly reluctant to get the FDX80 are because they look pretty heavy, but if there arent many v shaped alternatives, then I'll go and take the plunge. 

Also, I know that I've been told that simply increasing the bass with an EQ with balanced headphones could cause distortion, but would reducing the mids work? (so that I'd still get a v shape, but maybe less distortion?

http://lifehacker.com/should-i-use-an-equalizer-when-i-listen-to-music-1488713937

You can avoid digital clipping and minimize loss of details by lowering levels knstead of raising. But your iems will still see an increased level of bass the same way because you're going to raise the volume instead. So it depends. Some EQ well, others don't

Jan 20, 2014 at 1:10 AM Post #12,663 of 16,931
Posted part 3 of my CES 2014 impressions: http://theheadphonelist.com/ces-2014-headphone-coverage-part-3-audiofly-marshall-headphones-sennheiser-and-more/

TL;DR version:

* AudioFly had a new earphone line including two hybrid and two multi-BA models
* The AudioFly AF140 triple-driver hybrid and AF180 quad-armature monitor both stood out in sound
* WeSC and Kicker both had some new headphones but none caught my ear
* iLuv, on the other hand, had some pretty decent-sounding cheap headphones
* Zound Industries’ fashion-oriented Molami brand has a rather decent new headphone – the Plica
* On the other hand the Marshall Monitor sounded a little too heavy on bass and light on treble
* Sennheiser’s Momentum was the best portable headphone I tried at the show. The Momentum On-Ear impressed me less
* The new Sennheiser HD8 DJ is pricy at $389 but is built like a tank and extremely versatile, with a punchy and dynamic sound signature
* Sony’s new Walkman NWZ-ZX1 audiophile DAP was, unfortunately, locked under glass

Full version, as usual, can be found here.

Jan 20, 2014 at 3:06 AM Post #12,665 of 16,931
  Yeah, something like this HTC Bluetooth one or maybe a wired one and a female-femalecoupler, although I'm not sure if it'd actually work. 
Would the difference in SQ be noticeable?

This one had caught my eyes because of its big, apparently easy-to-feel buttons.

From the Sony MW1 thread:

Just a heads-up for those who're wondering about the HTC BH S600, I received it two days ago and it's going back where it came from. Tried it with several earpieces, and paired with my SGS3 the sound quality is a clear step down from the MW1 / HS3000 and significantly worse than a wired connection. Apparently ClieOS is right when he says that aptX alone doesn't guarantee great sound quality. Too bad, cause I actually liked its form factor and minimalist design very much.

Jan 20, 2014 at 3:22 AM Post #12,666 of 16,931
  What was wrong with the AF160's bass? The AF180 is kind of interesting, considering how tiny it looks for a four-driver (is it any larger than the AF140/160?)

It just didn't sound as effortless as the AF180. Looking back it may have just been missing that last bit of depth that gives the bass thump that solid "footing". 

I think all four of the new models use the same housings (minus the detachable cable connectors on the AF160/180). In any case they are very close to each other in size.

Jan 20, 2014 at 4:06 AM Post #12,667 of 16,931
  It just didn't sound as effortless as the AF180. Looking back it may have just been missing that last bit of depth that gives the bass thump that solid "footing". I think all four of the new models use the same housings (minus the detachable cable connectors on the AF160/180). In any case they are very close to each other in size.

I see. They seem to have elected to go for very small-sized drivers, in order to fit inside what looks to be pretty small housings (they appear to be no bigger than the TDK BA200?).

Jan 20, 2014 at 4:50 AM Post #12,668 of 16,931

I see. They seem to have elected to go for very small-sized drivers, in order to fit inside what looks to be pretty small housings (they appear to be no bigger than the TDK BA200?).

A little bigger but still very small by quad driver standards. Here's a closeup from the show and an excerpt from the spec sheet showing the armatures:

Jan 20, 2014 at 4:58 AM Post #12,669 of 16,931
Feels like they really need some kind of USP or very good performance to sell something that looks way less sexy than the black/red W4 or the kind of tacky UE900 or any of the other quad/tri BA's. But interesting. I'm very interested in the top model from Audio Techn. Since the CK100Pro was very interesting and quite unique compared to a lot of the other in ears I've heard.

Jan 20, 2014 at 5:09 AM Post #12,670 of 16,931
  A little bigger but still very small by quad driver standards. Here's a closeup from the show and an excerpt from the spec sheet showing the armatures:

Yeah, I've seen the tech sheet; looks a little better in real-world lighting, very low-key and not flashy.

It'll certainly be interesting to compare it against the W40. The W40 has noticeably better ergonomic feel over the old 4/4R, so if the AF180 isn't any better in that category, then it'll lose out automatically due to its lesser reputation. AFAIK, the accessories aren't as well-appointed either. Westone now gives people both the non-mic and mic cables, right? Along with an improved Monitor Vault that seems to be less prone to breaking (the hinges on mine broke after two months). How do these Audiofly cables feel against the new EPIC cables (and UE's and Shure's, for that matter)?

There's now a "glut" of four-driver universals on the marketplace. High-end models like the 846 and 334 aside, the Nuforce Primo 8 and Audiofly AF180 are both set to release soon, alongside the Westone W40 and Audio-Technica ATH-IM04 (which is strangely getting some hate, for whatever reason), not to mention the Noble 4.

Jan 20, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #12,672 of 16,931
Hey Joker

First of all, let me say thank you again! A year ago, following your advice i bought a MeElectronics Cw31 as substitute for my cx300, since i wanted something more "clean". I loved the CW31's. Great sound, good bass extent, good mids etc etc (comparing agains't my cx300 and agains't the Galaxy S4 headphones)the best i ever heard. unfortunatly i broke this, snaped the cord in half.

Now i'm wondering about a replacement, since  you had recommended the Cw31, E30 and the M3, and considerig the same price range, i was now debating on whether i should get the M3 (still available for 60€ [80$]) or the Aurvana Live!.

I loved the CW's, and i gues the only thing i would change a bit, would just have a tiny bit more bass...hum...impact? How can i say this, deep bloomy voices sounded good, but i wish they could have a bit more warminess to it. Not much more, just a tad.

Do you have different sugestions than those 2? You're always testing new products, and maybe some new contender pops out thats really worth it. I know the Aurvana are no IEM, but since i know you tried them both and since i really come to respect all your hard work (btw still waiting for the Aurvana 2 review :p) i trust your opinion greatly.

Thanks again man. cheers

Jan 20, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #12,674 of 16,931
I've really enjoyed the CES coverage; it's definitely given me some new products to think about.

Regarding Audiofly: I hope they've got their act together quality wise.  My girlfriend's AF56 had the housing split twice, the second time even glue couldn't save it.  Now they're marketing much more expensive IEMs so the quality control had better be leagues better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back