Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Jan 11, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #12,616 of 16,931
  Thanks again Joker!

So it's basically narrowed down to the Shure 215 and the FXD80 (not too bothered about the mic version as I'll probably get the Bluetooth adapter)

If the FXD80 is basically just a better version of the AM800 (as in similar V shapeness), how do the Shures fit in?

(also looking at some Jaybird BlueBuds, going on ebay atm for £80, which is out of budget but then again, they do look pretty cool)

The Shures are not v-shaped. They have more bass than your AM-800 but are warmer and not as bright, with not nearly as much treble sparkle. 

Jan 12, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #12,618 of 16,931
Posted the first part of my CES impressions here: http://theheadphonelist.com/ces-2014-headphone-coverage-part-1-klipsch-phiaton-westone-and-more/ . I went through the show trying to test out IEMs and headphones that were new to me. The first set of impressions includes IEMs from Westone and Bell'O Digital, as well as headphones from Phiaton, Klipsch, and others.

Cliffnotes verson - part 1

*Bell'O Digital had several headphones available for demo but none of them impressed me
*Klipsch's new Status over-ear cans were better, but did not keep up with the similarly-priced Sennheiser, Sony, and Phiaton cans I tried. I was able to learn about the new X11 model but neither it nor the X7 were available for demo
*Wicked Audio's new Revolt headphones felt a little cheap and didn't sound good enough for $200. Built-in DSP by Bongiovi Acoustics boosted the bass and treble.
*Phiaton's MS 430 was among the best portable headphones I tried, with clear sound, nice materials, and a reasonable price tag. The pricier MS 500 was less impressive.
*Etymotic's new HD5 model is internally identical to the ETY-Kids
*Jabra's Revo headphones feature nice construction and overwhelming bass
*Westone has a full-size headphone forthcoming. Most of the new models are rehashes of previous sets with no changes to the tuning, but feature new housings (for the universal-fit sets) and MMCX coaxial connectors. The W50 and W60 were not available for demo.

For full impressions and photos, see here: http://theheadphonelist.com/ces-2014-headphone-coverage-part-1-klipsch-phiaton-westone-and-more/

Jan 12, 2014 at 11:51 PM Post #12,620 of 16,931
Nice to know that. Have always wanted to hear the great mids presentation people said of the ES5. Given up on custom as I faced fitting issues thus have to let go of my 8A. Any idea how much will the W50 retails for and any expected release date. Thanks in advance.

Edit: Ok. Did some reading and found my answer. Thanks again.

Jan 13, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #12,621 of 16,931
Nice to know that. Have always wanted to hear the great mids presentation people said of the ES5. Given up on custom as I faced fitting issues thus have to let go of my 8A. Any idea how much will the W50 retails for and any expected release date. Thanks in advance.

Edit: Ok. Did some reading and found my answer. Thanks again.

I thought that was the whole point of customs. Getting a perfect fit? What kind of issues did you have just out of curiosity? 

Jan 13, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #12,622 of 16,931
Well. Let's just say the builder deem I'm the odd one out who can't be fitted with custom. After 3 refits, guess I'll call it a day and stick with universal. Though I may have better luck with another builder but not gonna take any chances. Will put the money into gears that can be easily pass on to another with the least damage to the wallet. So, let's put this behind and move on. There's a whole lot to look forward to with uiem and joker have done a stupendous job of bringing them forward for the benefit of all. Thanks for the great thread joker.

Jan 13, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #12,623 of 16,931
  I thought that was the whole point of customs. Getting a perfect fit? What kind of issues did you have just out of curiosity? 

man , as our ear shape changes , customs can get fitting issues , and to tackle that , companies lets you get your phones remolded in a month or likes for free , i suggest silicone molds , but not every phone has that option . still you can get it remolded for something like $50-100 .

Jan 14, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #12,624 of 16,931
Reviewing the new audio tech IM series soon? the most bang of the buck earphone tis year could be the IM70. pretty impressive stuff

Jan 14, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #12,625 of 16,931

The Shures are not v-shaped. They have more bass than your AM-800 but are warmer and not as bright, with not nearly as much treble sparkle. 

One last question - how much better are the JVCs compared to the AM800?

Also just found out today that I have infact been using an EQ on my phone, and when turned off, the AM800 actually sound a tad better than I had previously thought, and bass wise they're not as lacking as I once thought. 

Thanks again

Actually, another question - a bluetooth adapter for the headphones wont affect SQ, will it?

Jan 14, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #12,626 of 16,931
O_O You heard the new Senns? 

*drool*

And yeah, the TF10 is great...I would kill to get one in a Shure or new Westone housing with MMXC connector. I've heard people say that the new W series sound different and I'm incredibly curious to see the difference, if there is one, between W3 and W30; if they've even managed to tame the midbass by a few dB, I will be waiting very patiently for the price to drop (or to see a used one in the FS section :p).

Quote:

*Klipsch's new Status over-ear cans were better, but did not keep up with the similarly-priced Sennheiser,

Jan 14, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #12,627 of 16,931
  Actually, another question - a bluetooth adapter for the headphones wont affect SQ, will it?

bluetooth adapter for headphone ? i feel im confused , but bluetooth devices just cant have that amount of clarity , they just cant at times keep up with the amount of complicate data being transmitted , and can come short when it comes to spectrum , extension and frames at times , had an small encounter with 10rbt , it lags at times and extension at treble , but its just fine . mw1 just lacks spectrum . they do bass but lacks extension at treble .

Jan 14, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #12,628 of 16,931
Yeah bluetooth is generally inferior, but Sony has a couple of cheaper transmitters that will do justice to most <$150 earphones IME.

Quote:

bluetooth adapter for headphone ? i feel im confused , but bluetooth devices just cant have that amount of clarity , they just cant at times keep up with the amount of complicate data being transmitted , and can come short when it comes to spectrum , extension and frames at times , had an small encounter with 10rbt , it lags at times and extension at treble , but its just fine . mw1 just lacks spectrum . they do bass but lacks extension at treble .

Jan 14, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #12,629 of 16,931

Yeah, something like this HTC Bluetooth one or maybe a wired one and a female-femalecoupler, although I'm not sure if it'd actually work. 
Would the difference in SQ be noticeable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back