Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Mar 29, 2013 at 4:50 AM Post #9,856 of 16,931
Quote:

Hmm.. all black in color?

The Philips "The Tread" is probably as good as it gets - it was designed from the ground up to be indestructible. Sound is okay - you can get better for less money but not with the same level of construction quality. If you're going to prioritize sound over build, I'd go for the RHA MA-350 or Dunu Trident. Both sound better than the Philips and are almost as well-made. 

ya, all r black color.

Mar 29, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #9,857 of 16,931
I would be interested to know more about Samsung's two BA headset:

- Samsung EHS71 (probably with Knowles TWFK)
- Samsung EHS70 (single BA)

blink.gif

Mar 29, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #9,858 of 16,931
Quote:

blink.gif

Both are single armature. PCmag has an EHS71 review. Sounds like they were overpriced at $129 and phone compatibility could be an issue as well.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2403703,00.asp

Mar 29, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #9,859 of 16,931
MEE A161p vs Shure SE215 vs B2 anyone? Woot has 161p for $65.i have the Shures but I find them to be a little muddy and not too comfortable (yes, joker, you told me to beware!). Now I'm thinking about adding the A161's to my little collection. Now that i have more experience with IEMs i think i want a more analytic sound.

Advice?

JJ

Mar 29, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #9,860 of 16,931
Quote:
Hmm, think they've had like four different build revisions then (including this year's, or did only the M9 get a refresh announcement at CES? I forget).

According to this: http://www.meelec.com/Articles.asp?ID=325 (all the way at the bottom) there is a new M9PG2 this year and an M6P with a volume control.

Quote:
ya, all r black color.

Ok, thanks. I'll see if I can find out whether they are all like that now.

Quote:

blink.gif

Sorry, never heard them.

Quote:
MEE A161p vs Shure SE215 vs B2 anyone? Woot has 161p for $65.i have the Shures but I find them to be a little muddy and not too comfortable (yes, joker, you told me to beware!). Now I'm thinking about adding the A161's to my little collection. Now that i have more experience with IEMs i think i want a more analytic sound.

Advice?

JJ

Well, if you found the SE215 muddy then armature-based sets like the A161P and B2 should be right up your alley. Signature-wise the A161P is going to be a little bassier while the B2 will be brighter and cooler-sounding. $65 should be a great price for the A161s if they are new w/warranty, etc. 

Mar 29, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #9,861 of 16,931
Quote:

Advice?

JJ

Well, the A161P is a great iem and quite a bargain at this price (actually meelec themselves had that price few times for the past 3 months). What the A161P isn't though is analytical. It has a great bass for a BA iem fast, punchy and relatively flat though a bit boosted. And while the mids are only a bit forward and have good clarity and detail you can't call it analytical because the treble rolls off a bit early like the SE215 though a bit better than it in that regard. IMO the A161P is a good upgrade of the SE215 with better sound and better comfort although it can be microphonic if worn straight down without the included shirt clip or if you have a beard. The B2 on the other hand might be up to your requirements for analytical sound but its treble can be pretty aggressive and revealing sibilance - also tiring. As far as comfort - it does the job although its nozzle is a bit too angled and you do need a deep seal which can be uncomfortable depending on the person because of that nozzle. Also the bass might be too weak for you. Honestly, I'll highly recommend the etymotic HF5 for someone looking for analytical sound because the B2 can be picky at times and can be a love it or hate it iem but you can always risk it and get one and see if it's something you'll enjoy. Or go safe and jump on the A161P at that price with a take on a signature you're more familiar with.

Mar 30, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #9,862 of 16,931
Quote:

According to this: http://www.meelec.com/Articles.asp?ID=325 (all the way at the bottom) there is a new M9PG2 this year and an M6P with a volume control.

Ok, thanks. I'll see if I can find out whether they are all like that now.

Sorry, never heard them.

Well, if you found the SE215 muddy then armature-based sets like the A161P and B2 should be right up your alley. Signature-wise the A161P is going to be a little bassier while the B2 will be brighter and cooler-sounding. $65 should be a great price for the A161s if they are new w/warranty, etc. 

Thanks man.

Mar 30, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #9,863 of 16,931
Quote:
Well, the A161P is a great iem and quite a bargain at this price (actually meelec themselves had that price few times for the past 3 months). What the A161P isn't though is analytical. It has a great bass for a BA iem fast, punchy and relatively flat though a bit boosted. And while the mids are only a bit forward and have good clarity and detail you can't call it analytical because the treble rolls off a bit early like the SE215 though a bit better than it in that regard. IMO the A161P is a good upgrade of the SE215 with better sound and better comfort..

What about sound stage for the A161p?

JJ

Mar 30, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #9,864 of 16,931
Quote:
What about sound stage for the A161p?

JJ

Well, just like joker says it's about average. Instrument separation and positioning is good but because of the treble roll off it isn't particularly airy. It's more of an intimate sounding iem, which I like but if you want a very airy and grand sounding presentation you might be disappointed. It boils down to personal preference but the A161P is still a very competent iem soundstage-wise

Mar 30, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #9,865 of 16,931
Quote:
The M9 can be worn over the ear but it's not nearly as secure when worn that way as the M6. For sports use there's really no competition - I still use my M6 sometimes when I need the secure fit. 

Thanks for the answer!

I think I'll be buying the M6 from Amazon... I was looking for a more cheaper headphone, but it looks like these will be perfect for my needs.

Mar 30, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #9,866 of 16,931
Hey Joker, trying to decide between the GR07 mk2, RE-400 & the R-50s. I am coming from the eph-100 which was nice but comfort was a pain and they just would not sit. Which out of the above did you find the most comfortable in order? I have a preference for over the ear, also which out of the 3 is most closest to the eph-100 sound? Thanks.

Mar 31, 2013 at 4:31 AM Post #9,867 of 16,931
Quote:
Well, just like joker says it's about average. Instrument separation and positioning is good but because of the treble roll off it isn't particularly airy. It's more of an intimate sounding iem, which I like but if you want a very airy and grand sounding presentation you might be disappointed. It boils down to personal preference but the A161P is still a very competent iem soundstage-wise

+1. I don't find it lacking when I'm listening to it or A:Bing with most similarly-priced sets, but it isn't great compared to many higher-end IEMs. 

Quote:
Thanks for the answer!

I think I'll be buying the M6 from Amazon... I was looking for a more cheaper headphone, but it looks like these will be perfect for my needs.

It used to be a good value at $40-50 back in 2009
redface.gif

Quote:
Hey Joker, trying to decide between the GR07 mk2, RE-400 & the R-50s. I am coming from the eph-100 which was nice but comfort was a pain and they just would not sit. Which out of the above did you find the most comfortable in order? I have a preference for over the ear, also which out of the 3 is most closest to the eph-100 sound? Thanks.

I find the RE-400 the most comfortable, personally. It's very small and I like the flexibility of being able to wear it both cord-up and cord down. The next would be the GR07. The GR07 is also closest to the EPH-100 sound. 

Mar 31, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #9,868 of 16,931
Joker, amazing work with this compilation. I had a question though. I currently have a TF10 and am looking to upgrade to customs. I have had the TF10's for a while and found them satisfactory but just bought a Sennheiser Momentum which just blows them out of the water with their crisp yet non-sibilant highs. In comparison the TF10 now just sounds muddy and vocals just don't shine. I listen to a variety of alternative, pop, vocal, and instrumental music, so it's important to have some bass presence yet really allow vocals to be sweet.

My budget is around $500 and based on your review some potential choices include the V3, CTM200, and alclair reference. Would any of these be a noticeable upgrade over the TF10's for the sound signature I'm looking for (Momentums)? FYI I don't actually like completely neutral headphones like the Sennheiser HD380's which just sound too dull and muted.

Thanks in advance!

Mar 31, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #9,869 of 16,931
Quote:
Joker, amazing work with this compilation. I had a question though. I currently have a TF10 and am looking to upgrade to customs. I have had the TF10's for a while and found them satisfactory but just bought a Sennheiser Momentum which just blows them out of the water with their crisp yet non-sibilant highs. In comparison the TF10 now just sounds muddy and vocals just don't shine. I listen to a variety of alternative, pop, vocal, and instrumental music, so it's important to have some bass presence yet really allow vocals to be sweet.

My budget is around $500 and based on your review some potential choices include the V3, CTM200, and alclair reference. Would any of these be a noticeable upgrade over the TF10's for the sound signature I'm looking for (Momentums)? FYI I don't actually like completely neutral headphones like the Sennheiser HD380's which just sound too dull and muted.

Thanks in advance!

I've never heard the Momentum but I think the 1964-V3 is a good spiritual successor for the TF10. It's more fun-sounding than neutral, with plenty of bass. The mids are not recessed as they are with the TF10 and everything is clearer and more well-separated overall. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back