Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Dec 9, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #8,986 of 16,931
I used an M9P cable for recabling some DBA-02's. I was surprised how quickly the MEElec cable stiffened (over ear) compared to the stock Fischer cable.

Interesting, I've had a pair of M9P for a couple of years and the cable's still fine... Was it sweat that did yours in or maybe constant sun exposure? I could see a mix of both having such an effect on the rubber sleeve they seem to use.

I never used my M9P for exercise and I actually just gave them away, I got a pair of M6P for running tho so I guess I'll find out how they hold up...

FWIW, the slightly thicker cable on my old JVC Marshmellows has held up well after using them for running in the sun over a few years, probably gonna keep them for biking now, not sure what isolates less so I'll test it out (foamy JVC tips or M6 triple flanges).

Dec 9, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #8,987 of 16,931
Quote:
Thanks for the response.
Well, the point is, I'm looking for a tad bassy IEM's, normally I'm more of a flat response-curve lover but a bit of extra bass tends to give you a bit more energy to do that last rep :)
But what other IEM would you recommend over the Xears then, in the price range of <$50 for gym use?

In terms of Xears, there is just SO much to choose from here, all for the same price, (some even with replacable calbes) and no information at all found about most of the models, even on this forum :S

It's difficult to say how an earphone will perform during gym use if it's not designed to handle sweat, etc, but in terms of overall build quality I would probably trust something from Brainwavz or VSonic more. If heavy bass is okay you can land a VSonic GR02 BE or Brainwavz M5 under $50. For something with milder bass there's the Soundmagic E30 and Philips SHE3580. At $10 the Philips are pretty much disposable but you'd have to combat the cable noise somehow. 

Quote:

Bringing up ECCI allows me to mention that I bought a PR200 MKII. They are on special from Light In The Box for $24.99 shipped. Seems a steady price since I first saw it on Halloween. A really nice deal other than the fact that super saver free shipping is fairly slow.

The PR200-II is pretty much a return to the PR1 Pro. 85% accurate to your review of the PR1 pro. They differ, IME, in that the PR200-II is not quite as wide or airy but resolves a bit better and has a bit better extension on the ends. Going back to the lively, well balanced, clear and natural sound of the older model and away from the polite, smoothed over, rather unremarkable sound of the original PR100/200 puts the new model back into the well recommended category esp. at the $25 price.   

I am glad ECCI is going back to the PR1 sound signature - it was pretty unique. I still have my PR1 Pro all these years later. Can't agree with you more - the old PR100/PR200 sounded pretty bland and the PR300 got lost among similar-sounding competition. 

Dec 9, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #8,988 of 16,931
Quote:
joker, does K3003's treble sound more "brassy" (not thin) than FX700?
similar to MTPC or MTPG?
I liked the brassy treble the MTPC and MTPG when I had them.
Thanks

I'm not Joker, but here are my 2 cents:
AKG K3003 has a notable 4.5k ring due to the darned TWFK. This makes it go beyond brassy and into painfully metallic and flat. The 3k dip makes it even more audible.
MTPG are quite flat in the treble. However, they're not nearly as fast.
MTPC have very similar treble, slightly less bass, giving better detailing in my opinion, but still too bassy and slow.
There's no real competition in bass boosted IEMs vs MTPG, not considering CIEMs perhaps. (Such as Futuresonics Ear Monitors or certain BA ones.)

Until Hifiman releases the next version of RE IEMs, you're quite out of luck trying to match BA IEMs in speed and treble quality while not sacrificing bass slam.
RE-ZERO were as good there as they come, if a bit uneven. RE272 is far too smooth and recessed in upper mids (due to filter; filterless it rings) and overdampened in bass.
The only reasonable competition in dynamic drivers, VSonic GR07 and Sony MDR-EX1000, have much hotter treble prone to sibilance due to 6k ringing.

Dec 9, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #8,990 of 16,931
Yes, but those two are ever so slightly inferior to MTPG/MTPC in the treble in my opinion. Even IE8, which is reasonably close.
(Guess why I mentioned Ear Monitors - they're like new Atrio, but far more refined.)

Dec 10, 2012 at 4:44 AM Post #8,991 of 16,931
Thanks Joker,

What are my choices for a headphone thats good with rock/metal. I like vocal centric headphones but the instruments also have to be engaging and does not get congested in complex passages. Budget around $500.

Thanks.

Dec 10, 2012 at 6:55 AM Post #8,992 of 16,931
Does anyone know how the DBA-02 MKII and GR01 compare in terms of build quality?

Dec 10, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #8,993 of 16,931
All we need are the Philips SHE3580 and the Sony MH1Cs to be reviewed, and we can then see the ultimate showdown between the four hype monsters (being the JVC HA-FX40 w/ 500 hours of burn-in, Philip SHE3580, Monoprice 8320 and Sony MH1C). The R1s need to be rated as well, some people even claim for them to be better than the M5s. I personally can't stand their terrible sound.

Dec 10, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #8,994 of 16,931
Quote:
All we need are the Philips SHE3580 and the Sony MH1Cs to be reviewed, and we can then see the ultimate showdown between the four hype monsters (being the JVC HA-FX40 w/ 500 hours of burn-in, Philip SHE3580, Monoprice 8320 and Sony MH1C). The R1s need to be rated as well, some people even claim for them to be better than the M5s. I personally can't stand their terrible sound.

Well, I think the mh1c is hyped enough and even if joker doesn't review it people will still buy it. Do we seriously need joker to buy every iem out there and review it so we get an approval that what we bought and like is actually good? The R1 is pretty hard to rate for me. I've been burning it in for more than 150 hours and it's still changing - kinda weird and that continues to make it hard for me to rate it let alone judje after a short listen like joker did, which doesn't mean that joker should buy it. The R1 is still pretty good and fun sounding iem for the money but its comparison to the other similarly priced hyped iems will be down to personal preference. 

Dec 10, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #8,995 of 16,931
Quote:
Thanks Joker,

What are my choices for a headphone thats good with rock/metal. I like vocal centric headphones but the instruments also have to be engaging and does not get congested in complex passages. Budget around $500.

Thanks.

Not Joker, but that's pretty much my desired sound signature too. Try the SM3 or UM3X, they're both well-regarded for mids. If you're on more of a budget, the RE262.

Dec 10, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #8,996 of 16,931
Let me recommend headphones between these 5 (no matter the price)

1. - Sony EX1000
2. - Audio-Technica ATH-CKM99
2. - Vsonic GR07
4. - Hifiman RE272
5. - JVC FX700

I got to have MTPC and IE8. Overall I really like the IE8, but I want to try others with a similar scenario to IE8, many

Thank you very much for these amazing reviews

Dec 10, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #8,997 of 16,931

1. - Sony EX1000
2. - Vsonic GR07
4. - Hifiman RE272
5. - JVC FX700

I got to have MTPC and IE8. Overall I really like the IE8, but I want to try others with a similar scenario to IE8, many

Dec 10, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #8,999 of 16,931
Quote:
re272 is a lot different than the others, treble oriented, sounding like armatures.
I would say either jvc or ex1000 depending on your choice. Jvc is more like ie8 imo.

I wouldn't say so. The FX700 is V shaped, with aggressive bass and treble, and comparatively recessed mids. The only one that's somewhat close on that list to the IE8, is the GR07.

Dec 10, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #9,000 of 16,931
Quote:
Thanks Joker,

Thanks.

I guess the CK100 could be a contender if you like vocal-centric. Other options - UM3X, SM2/SM3, Shure SE530/535. These tend to have more bass than the CK100 and less bright treble. 

Quote:
Does anyone know how the DBA-02 MKII and GR01 compare in terms of build quality?

I would definitely go for the DBA-02 mkII if that's what you're after. 

Quote:

1. - Sony EX1000
2. - Vsonic GR07
4. - Hifiman RE272
5. - JVC FX700

Those don't sound much alike so it would really depend on what you'd like to see improved over the IE8 and what you're willing to give up. FX700 would probably be the safest choice that doesn't give up the IE8's bass quantity. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back