Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Sep 6, 2012 at 10:04 AM Post #8,071 of 16,931
So there you are.... not a suprise at all for those of us that bought the FX40,  for under 20 bucks they are very good iems at that price range, not suprised at all with that score.

Yes, they are on the "trebele happy" side, but if you got tracks with good quality its not an issue at all, beacuse the highs are not harsh and not silibant once they are properly burned, unless you are a bass head then you should look to other options.

My FXD80 should be arriving very soon, so i am expecting a very good sound from those, just as the JVC S500 is a very good sounding portable headphone with the same technology.

Thanks for the review Joker!

Sep 6, 2012 at 10:37 AM Post #8,072 of 16,931
Really glad that you have finally posted up the review for the fx40, joker, it describes exactly how I feel about them.
I just realised that I havent thank you for all your hard work even after I have settled down on the ety hf5, thank you very much for the reviews!
biggrin.gif

Sep 6, 2012 at 10:45 AM Post #8,073 of 16,931
The thing I liked most about the FXD80 review was the little mention of the R-50 which means will be getting a review of them and I hope you found some good tips to use (Ety grey triple flange work great).

Sep 6, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #8,075 of 16,931
@ljokerl

I've been reading a lot about the Brainwavz B2, and I  was thinking in purchasing them.
 Would they be a good complement to my other iems?(HF5, PFE112 & W4r)

I love detailing, and also I was looking for something brighter than the W4, and maybe not so foward as the HF5. I don't feel the need for more bass than it offers, and most of the time I don't mind the (lack of) bass quantity of the HF5, though I would like something with a bit more in this case.

I listen to a bit of everything, ranging from classical, barroque, jazz, classical rock, (progessive) metal, j-music....

As budget,  I wanted to keep it below the US$ 200 mark if possible.

Thanks in advance

Sep 6, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #8,076 of 16,931
Quote:
where did you get em from?

I bought them off eBay, via the seller 'lendmeurears'. They're still listed: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vsonic-GR06-/320964209663?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item4abaf52bff

When I bought them they were out of stock in the US warehouse, so they shipped direct from Singapore. They still arrived here in Australia in around a week.

Sep 7, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #8,077 of 16,931
Quote:
 I've been reading a lot about the Brainwavz B2, and I  was thinking in purchasing them.

I love detailing, and also I was looking for something brighter than the W4, and maybe not so foward as the HF5. I don't feel the need for more bass than it offers, and most of the time I don't mind the (lack of) bass quantity of the HF5, though I would like something with a bit more in this case.

I'm not joker, but let's answer.

B2 might be what you're looking for if W4 is not bright enough (in the 3-6k range at least). General signature, aside from quite a bit more 6k-12k brightness, is similar to W4 but less sculpted. (which is not good in my case) Unlike W4, B2 actually gets more sparkle with foam tips.

Personally, I'd go for W4 with somewhat brighter extreme highs (>=12k) and less of a midrange dip/low midrange boost (same thing, depends on whether I take 1 kHz or 500 Hz as center), but I don't know if it exists.

Sep 7, 2012 at 2:41 AM Post #8,078 of 16,931
Quote:
nice review of fxd80 , was looking for this . nice upgrade from micro hd .

Thanks! And to think it all started for the JVC with the FXC50.

Quote:
Thanks for the review on the JVC's. Been wanting to hear your take on them since they've been such a hot topic on Dsnut's thread.

beerchug.gif

Quote:
I enjoyed the FXD-80 while I had it; now maintaining an A161P and RE-272 in the stable. FX-40 I am keeping for it's simplicity and ease of carry; kind of an on-the-go shopping and errand IEM.

I have to say I preferred the A161P/SBA-03 to the FXD80s in A:B listening just because the bass on the A161s is flatter and cleaner.The mids, treble, and soundstaging are difficult to call between the two for me.

Quote:
So there you are.... not a suprise at all for those of us that bought the FX40,  for under 20 bucks they are very good iems at that price range, not suprised at all with that score.

Yes, they are on the "trebele happy" side, but if you got tracks with good quality its not an issue at all, beacuse the highs are not harsh and not silibant once they are properly burned, unless you are a bass head then you should look to other options.

My FXD80 should be arriving very soon, so i am expecting a very good sound from those, just as the JVC S500 is a very good sounding portable headphone with the same technology.

Thanks for the review Joker!

They are one of the higher-scoring budget IEMs that I personally don't like
tongue.gif
. The treble is interesting in not being overly harsh or sibilant as you've noted.. it's more the overall tone and balance that bothers me but at that point I'm being too critical of a $22 set. 

Quote:
Really glad that you have finally posted up the review for the fx40, joker, it describes exactly how I feel about them.
I just realised that I havent thank you for all your hard work even after I have settled down on the ety hf5, thank you very much for the reviews!
biggrin.gif

Glad you like the HF5s! There was an HF3 deal yesterday and I had to stop myself from picking up a set (would have been my 3rd, I've owned HF3s and HF2s already). The ER4S is nice but the HF3 has always appealed to me more as a daily carry.

Quote:
The thing I liked most about the FXD80 review was the little mention of the R-50 which means will be getting a review of them and I hope you found some good tips to use (Ety grey triple flange work great).

Working on that. I believe someone asked about my tip selection a page or two ago. I'm using the gray Ety triples on them right now.

Quote:
@ljokerl

I listen to a bit of everything, ranging from classical, barroque, jazz, classical rock, (progessive) metal, j-music....

As budget,  I wanted to keep it below the US$ 200 mark if possible.

Thanks in advance

Difficult to say - I really don't think the B2 is less forward than the HF5 on the whole. Is the PFE112 not a brighter and more laid-back earphone than the HF5? I would think that's a better match for what you want than the Etys when used with the gray or even black filters. On that note I think you might like the Ortofon e-Q5 - I saw a couple on ebay for <$230 the other day.

Sep 7, 2012 at 2:48 AM Post #8,079 of 16,931
Oh no, the PFE112s are not more laid back than the HF5s unfortunately due to the midhighs, unless you use black filters in which they become a slightly warmer but less coherent version of the HFs. I agree EQ5s will be a nice pick. 

Thanks for the FXD80 vs A161P comparison, it astounds me how the A161P got so overlooked when it's at least on par, but seems better based on what you said. 

Sep 7, 2012 at 2:53 AM Post #8,080 of 16,931
Sir |joker|, question! 

From your memory of your experiences with the Tier 1C IEMs, which of those did you feel had the best synergy when paired with your J3? I may be stretching your memory a bit. I ask because at times I feel my MTPC sound better on the Clip+ vs J3. It could be all in my head though. I'm very curious as to which ones you will mention. Thanks :D 

Sep 7, 2012 at 10:02 AM Post #8,081 of 16,931
Quote:

They are one of the higher-scoring budget IEMs that I personally don't like
tongue.gif
. The treble is interesting in not being overly harsh or sibilant as you've noted.. it's more the overall tone and balance that bothers me but at that point I'm being too critical of a $22 set. 

wink_face.gif

Yea... i know what you mean, it can be a "love/hate" situation.  I dont listen  music over 60% of the volume, maybe thats the reason i like them, at this low volumes i can enjoy them more than my other cheap iems, once i crank the volume up those highs get a bit wild and thats the reason i only use them on very quiet places. 

In any case , i was expecting a even lower score.
bigsmile_face.gif

Dont have to answer this, but how many hous of burn in they had?

Thanks again for the review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back