Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Aug 14, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #7,906 of 16,931
Quote:
The Meelec balanced sound bi flanges didn't change the sound much for me, just gave me a great seal and made them super comfy. I consider the 02 to be way too bass heavy for me. The 04s have phenomenal mids.

Actually, they do sound different. Apparently, there are two different versions of the meelec gray balanced bi-flange tips. I asked joker before and he said he was sure they're all the same but they are not. I ordered the so called "balanced tips for m9" right before they ran out of stock and I guess they didn't have 3 pairs, so 1 of the pairs was what meelec has now on the site as gray balanced double flange trips. The one "for m9" are harder and with overall darker one shade of gray while the other are in brighter gray, softer and the opening of the tips is slightly smaller and in a darker shade of gray. They sound different and the "for m9" version has a lot better seal and thus better bass and netter everything - the softer ones are just sub-par compared to the other ones and useless for - it's really a good thing I didn't receive 3 pairs of them.

Here is a pic I just snapped for comparison (the quality isn't very good)
GR02 BE stock bi-flanges (left), meelec balanced tips for m9 (middle), meelec balanced double-flange tips (right)

Of course, I'm not 100% sure if itt in't the other way around and the softer version on the right is the "m9" version and the other one the "balanced sound". I just go with what I ordered - the "balanced tips for m9". 

Aug 14, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #7,907 of 16,931
Quote:
Actually, they do sound different. Apparently, there are two different versions of the meelec gray balanced bi-flange tips. I asked joker before and he said he was sure they're all the same but they are not. I ordered the so called "balanced tips for m9" right before they ran out of stock and I guess they didn't have 3 pairs, so 1 of the pairs was what meelec has now on the site as gray balanced double flange trips. The one "for m9" are harder and with overall darker one shade of gray while the other are in brighter gray, softer and the opening of the tips is slightly smaller and in a darker shade of gray. They sound different and the "for m9" version has a lot better seal and thus better bass and netter everything - the softer ones are just sub-par compared to the other ones and useless for - it's really a good thing I didn't receive 3 pairs of them.

GR02 BE stock bi-flanges (left), meelec balanced tips for m9 (middle), meelec balanced double-flange tips (right)

Of course, I'm not 100% sure if itt in't the other way around and the softer version on the right is the "m9" version and the other one the "balanced sound". I just go with what I ordered - the "balanced tips for m9". 

I asked the guy at meelec if there was a difference between the for M9 and the other set, he said no. I wonder if maybe they just sent you a regular old black normal bi-flange.

Aug 14, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #7,908 of 16,931
No, it's not a regular black. The regular black ones are harder like the stock vsonic ones. All the three meelec pairs are gray and you can see through them. Just one of them is slightly brighter and is softer the the other two. The two darker pairs are softer than the stock vsonic and meelec bi-flanges. I like them more than the Gr02 stock ones as I get a better seal, more balanced sound (as they are softer they have slightly less bass and thus the slithly laid back mids aren't so apparent) and I feel them less in my ears. The brighter ones are very slightly smaller and are too soft and that amount to bad seal and bass. I haven't seen so soft tips in a while. So they are deffinitely different - aside from the softer silicone their cores are thicker.

Aug 14, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #7,909 of 16,931
Quote:

The middle tip looks like the "old" balanced bi-flange that came with my M9s back in 2009. My newer M9 came with the tip on the right.

Aug 15, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #7,912 of 16,931
So I'll be getting the SM3v2's in a couple days!!!!!
biggrin.gif

I'll probably be selling my Aurisonics ASG-1.2's simply because I feel the signature too similar. What would everyone recommend under $150 that would complement the SM3?

Thanks!

Aug 15, 2012 at 5:13 AM Post #7,913 of 16,931
Joker, an IEM with a a v shaped sound with flat cables? I see the Ultimate Ears 500 (500vi), as one, but is there any better with better strain relief? Must be comfortable, have sparkly treble, and good bass... not overpowering.

Aug 15, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #7,915 of 16,931
Quote:
Joker, an IEM with a a v shaped sound with flat cables? I see the Ultimate Ears 500 (500vi), as one, but is there any better with better strain relief? Must be comfortable, have sparkly treble, and good bass... not overpowering.

if you would consider xb41ex , but the ue 400/500 is not bad at all . and may be the velodyne v pulse . it also lacks strain reliever at the earphone end , try a xb41ex at a sony store , they are a bit light in sig but not bad . nicely v shaped but dont have the treble spark of ue 400/500 , still is not bad at highs .

Aug 15, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #7,917 of 16,931
Quote:
I really wish the balanced biflanges fit on the GR04. Joker, any other tips fit on your GR06? I mean, I know they come with ~15, but I love those balanced sound tips, they're so comfy!

Lots do, but none with great results. Have you thought of trying to make a set of adapters to use the balanced bi-flanges? 

Quote:
So I'll be getting the SM3v2's in a couple days!!!!!
biggrin.gif

I'll probably be selling my Aurisonics ASG-1.2's simply because I feel the signature too similar. What would everyone recommend under $150 that would complement the SM3?

Thanks!

Sony EX600 is about as different from the SM3 as you can get in that price range 
wink.gif

Quote:

I would say ECCI PR401 if it's still in production. Haven't seen it mentioned in a while. 

Quote:
Hey Joker!! Have you heard Rockit sounds R50??? Dual BA, costs 120$.. they are giant killers.. I shall be eagerly waiting your review.

I have an R-50 but unfortunately it has a channel imbalance so the review is on hold for the time being. They perform very well for the price, somewhere between the q-JAYS/Phiaton PS200 and VSonic GR01/Brainwavz B2.

Aug 16, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #7,918 of 16,931
Quote:

I have an R-50 but unfortunately it has a channel imbalance so the review is on hold for the time being. They perform very well for the price, somewhere between the q-JAYS/Phiaton PS200 and VSonic GR01/Brainwavz B2.

i might get a pair soon. how do i check that channel imbalance?

Aug 16, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #7,919 of 16,931
Thanks Joker. The UE 500 will be here on Friday, but if doesn't work out, I'll look into the Ecci PR401 next.

Aug 16, 2012 at 9:55 AM Post #7,920 of 16,931
I am impressed by the massive amount of reviews. Some of the reviews are very well writen and good references.

However, I am REALLY skeptical about the value for horizontal comparisons among the IEMs based on the scoring. Take IE8 as an exmple which scored 9.0 for sound quality. And a bunch of those that are etiher in the same price range or below are scored equal or higher than IE8 including those that are clearly not in the same league in terms of sound quality, eg. XBA4, RE262/272, GR07, EX600, etc. Some of the phones are also clearly not even comparable to some scored lower, such as Turbine pros, Miles Davis and MG7.

Thus looking at the appendixed scoring charts can be quite confusing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back