Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Dec 14, 2011 at 12:00 PM Post #5,149 of 16,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmeat /img/forum/go_quote.gif

and kiteki is that the hi fi man one? would a fiio e5 provide the same benefit?

I have the Fiio E6 and Hifiman HM-101.

The HM-101 is louder than any sound-card I know of, and it sounds pretty good. The E6 is a really basic amplifier, nothing to see here.

Dec 14, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #5,150 of 16,931

Quote:
 the addiem is a excellent headphone for its price. let me know how much better (or not) you think the gr07 is compared after youve had some time with it

Will do.

Now a general question *looks at ljokerl*. I've had them for some 6 hours so far, and it while at first I promised myself to leave them burning for 48 hours or so (since I was aware of its nature), I couldn't resist and put them in =P. The first thing that I noticed was the ~5KHz peak you mentioned. The second thing I noticed was more concerning, and it was a certain lack of bass presence. Now of course I know they're not bassy in-ears, but I definitely was expecting a wee bit more bass than my ADDIEMs, which despite having a bit of a mid-bass hump (if I'm not mistaken) are still a tad bass-light. From the bass that *was* there, though, I could identify that it was more realistic in the sense that is thumps more than booms, possibly a consequence of being a fast dynamic, while the ADDIEM's bass is, well, balanced armature bass (not much impact).

So at first I thought it could be a fit issue, especially because the GR07's were WAY too comfortable, it simply didn't feel much like a seal was formed at all. But maybe that's because the ADDIEMs were less comfortable. Anyway, I switched the medium tips for the double-flanged, and then for the large ones (damn those small Chinese ears!), and then for the ADDIEMs large ones (that looked weird). I went back to the GR07's large tips, but couldn't find much difference.

I then played a song that starts with lots of deep bass. The thumping and presence were instantaneous, not too much (considering the song itself) and not a hair less than I wanted. First I was baffled, but I then noticed that there were absolutely no mid-high or high frequencies at the start of the song. My current theory is that not only the diaphragm will get a little looser and *slightly* increase presence by itself, but that the 5KHz peak is "thinning" the song as a whole. Does this look like the case?

Other than that, I did notice a certain lack of resolution/smoothness and somewhat congested sound in complex passages, considering it's supposed to be the exact opposite of that after 100 hours of use. Yet compared to the ADDIEMs, even at this stage they sound quite nice. Sometimes a little little little muddier, and sometimes, when the passage is less complex, more detailed.

Dec 14, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #5,151 of 16,931
Update: There are already *some* things definitely better in the GR07 than the ADDIEM, even at just 10 hours of burn-in. Mostly detail retrieval (I'm getting some small cues in Yes' cover of America that I simply could not have imagined that existed), in a way that I cannot explain. Overall the sound does seem a tad less peaky, but it still is somewhat congested at the busy parts.

Edit: Going back to one of the first songs I heard, I noticed an increase of bass quantity. Sweet!

Dec 14, 2011 at 8:20 PM Post #5,152 of 16,931

Quote:
Update: There are already *some* things definitely better in the GR07 than the ADDIEM, even at just 10 hours of burn-in. Mostly detail retrieval (I'm getting some small cues in Yes' cover of America that I simply could not have imagined that existed), in a way that I cannot explain. Overall the sound does seem a tad less peaky, but it still is somewhat congested at the busy parts.

Edit: Going back to one of the first songs I heard, I noticed an increase of bass quantity. Sweet!

I hated my GR07 out of the box, 150+ hours burn in (mechanical and mental) and now I LOVE it...

Dec 14, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #5,153 of 16,931
Isnt the GR07 one of those earphones that some claim takes a thousand hours to properly bed in ? No, I'm not making that up - 1,000 hours.

Dec 14, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #5,155 of 16,931
joker.. how does the Tandem compare with the RealVoice?  I get the sense they have more than a few similarities.  I've listened to a lot of IEMs since buying the RealVoice (quite some time ago) & it remains one of my favorite universal IEMs (regardless of pricepoint).  Thanks!

Dec 15, 2011 at 3:16 AM Post #5,156 of 16,931

Quote:
@ |joker| I was referred here from a fellow member. I'm totally a noob to these forums but I'm looking for a thunderous/punching bass pair of in ear headphones. I'm willing to splurge if they're worth it. Specifically I'm talking about JH16's. Currently, I use monster turbine pro golds because the sound was a nice step up from the beats tour. I'm looking for a custom pair because I have quite small ear canals, not incredibly tiny like the tips on the klispch x10i's, but small for the smallest tip size that monster offers. They fit me perfectly, but I'm looking to step it up from my turbine pro golds. I have tried UE TF10 to no avail because of size, Klispch x10i where I wasn't impressed, was considering Shure se535 but lack of bass (or so I've heard) is a turn off, and looking at Westone UM3/X but have heard they might be too big for me. I'm not totally into bass and hip hop/R&B I listen to other genres and songs that aren't so laden with bass and wondered if the JH16s would deliver on both of these parts. So I figured what the heck go all the way and get me a top of the line pair of custom in ear headphones. Would you anything about these???

I am not familiar with the JH16 - you probably want to ask average_joe. You probably won't like the SE535 or UM3X if you're looking for as much as or more bass than the MTPG provides but I doubt you'll have trouble fitting them - high-end armature IEMs from Shure and Westone have very thin nozzles. I would stick with something dynamic, though, like a JVC FX700. 

Quote:
joker.. how does the Tandem compare with the RealVoice?  I get the sense they have more than a few similarities.  I've listened to a lot of IEMs since buying the RealVoice (quite some time ago) & it remains one of my favorite universal IEMs (regardless of pricepoint).  Thanks!

They do but there are some differences. IMO the Tandem is a little darker, has flat mid-bass as opposed to the elevated (and boomier) bass of the Realvoice, less coloration in the midrange, less treble sparkle (and a smoother overall response), and a larger presentation, though it's also more laid-back compared to the Realvoice. Most noticeable difference is definitely the bass - it's just not attention-grabbing (at all) in the Tandem compared to the Realvoice. The Realvoice is more 'fun' but the Tandem is definitely flatter and more refined.

Dec 15, 2011 at 8:09 AM Post #5,157 of 16,931

Confused and frustrated. 
blink.gif

I wanted to purchase a JVC HA-FXT90 by Rakuten (Tenso), but I failed to finish the transaction successfully. Whenever I asked for the address, I couldn't complete the fields properly not knowing Japanese.
rolleyes.gif

I go on ebay and found two interesting offers, send an email with a request for information regarding shipping and after 2 days no answer. If you do not respond either to the email let alone how will the sale. 
mad.gif

Ok, let's try with Seyo. Do a look at the prices and their evaluations. 

JVC-Victor HA-FXT90-Rating in Japan: 4.25 out of 5-USD 179.00 

JVC-Victor HP-FX500-Rating in Japan: 4.39 out of 5-$ 159.80 

JVC-Victor-FX700-Rating in Japan:--out of 5-USD 369.80 

AKG K370-Rating in Japan: 5.00 out of 5-USD 207.60. 

Note: estimated delivery time for a month, possibility of ' Customs ' and more expenses. The AKG has a maximum raiting. Buying the AKG K370 price in Europe is about USD 60.00 and I get the 3 days. 

is too difficult to move smoothly, recommended to me a great IEM so at least it's worth it 
biggrin.gif

Dec 15, 2011 at 8:43 AM Post #5,158 of 16,931
Dec 15, 2011 at 9:41 AM Post #5,159 of 16,931
How much would the GR07 benefit from an amp? I've heard lots of good things from that funny-looking one that comes in an Altoids can (Cmoy, I think), especially from headfonia.com . I've heard about the ZO, and wonder if it would be a nice pair.

Dec 15, 2011 at 9:44 AM Post #5,160 of 16,931

Quote:
How much would the GR07 benefit from an amp? I've heard lots of good things from that funny-looking one that comes in an Altoids can (Cmoy, I think), especially from headfonia.com . I've heard about the ZO, and wonder if it would be a nice pair.

They would certainly help boost the bass response.

I personally feel they benefit more from a good DAC as apposed to an amp.(Then again, most decent IEMs/cans do.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back