Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Sep 8, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #4,111 of 16,931

Quote:
If you find yourself becoming a detail freak, just stay away from the FAD SS and UERM.  The ER4 is not even in the same league as those two.

Anaxilus,

Only now that I noticed that you have the IERM! Could you do a comparison with the CK10? I interested on these but nothing on the forum was helpful to me. There are differences that make them worth upgrading?

Sep 8, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #4,112 of 16,931
I don't think Anax liked the CK10 very much or had a short encounter with it... but the Westone ES5 seems like one of the logical CK10 upgrades since it's using the same drivers X2 + 1.

Unique Melody Mage is another, CK10 driver + bass, I'll get to hear it tomorrow and see how far the apple falls from the tree...

Sep 8, 2011 at 7:28 PM Post #4,113 of 16,931

Quote:
I'm confused. Wouldn't I be drawn more towards the FAD SS and UERM, if I find myself becoming a detail freak, if they're levels above the ER4S?

Your wallet might not be.... =P

Sep 8, 2011 at 7:33 PM Post #4,114 of 16,931

Quote:
Anaxilus,

Only now that I noticed that you have the IERM! Could you do a comparison with the CK10? I interested on these but nothing on the forum was helpful to me. There are differences that make them worth upgrading?

Arrigoshred and djnellie have some nice reviews.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/568229/multi-custom-flagship-iem-review-23-8-11-uerm-added

Average_joe will have his up as well soon enough.  

I liked the DBA-02 more than the CK10 but they are very similar.  Key differences?  Better imaging, better resolution, cleaner treble, better bass, more natural note thickness to name a few.

Sep 8, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #4,115 of 16,931

Quote:
I don't think Anax liked the CK10 very much or had a short encounter with it... but the Westone ES5 seems like one of the logical CK10 upgrades since it's using the same drivers X2 + 1.

Unique Melody Mage is another, CK10 driver + bass, I'll get to hear it tomorrow and see how far the apple falls from the tree...

Umm, CK10 and ES5 are not very similar at all.  I know you've been on this driver X sounds like X thing lately but there is really more to it than that.  I owned the CK10 for more than a month.  I'm just more adverse to its treble spikes and there wasn't enough mid bass presence to make it not sound like a BA for me despite it having better extension and texture than the DBA.  Plus the price diff was 2:1 and I got better isolation w/ the DBA for my ears since I wear them like Etys.

Sep 8, 2011 at 7:44 PM Post #4,116 of 16,931

Whoops..... I forgot you own the ES5 too... umm but it is the TWFK x 2 right?

Oh well
normal_smile .gif
 If I can't hear a TWFK inside the Mage and so on I'll give up my driver x thing.

Sep 8, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #4,117 of 16,931
Somehow I talked myself into maybe getting a Westone 4 in a couple of months (November-ish).

Do they need an amp or would they be happy out of a Clip+? I'm interested in knowing how they'd perform vs the TF10. Since the TF10's are more "fun", would that make the W4 "boring" by comparison? I don't need pounding bass like the TF10 and I'm pretty sensitive to overly sparkly highs but I would like something that keeps me engaged with the music. That was my problem with the UM3x: lots of bass but otherwise they sounded pretty boring especially in the higher frequencies. I've read the review quite a few times and it seems like the W4's have a "safer" signature by not being crazy explosive and engaging but not analytical either.

Is the W4 more of a "jack of all trades, master of none" kind of phone?

Sep 8, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #4,118 of 16,931
Sep 9, 2011 at 1:57 AM Post #4,119 of 16,931

Quote:
Yup.  The only issue is how much bass do you need from the drum kit for your tastes and can you get that from either of them.  I was able to on the DBA.  Others had better results on the CK10 than myself so YMMV.  Plus I was using them w/ the Arrow which could pump out 60hz and below at the flick of a switch.  Sometimes I used the BB and sometimes I didn't.  Really depended on my mood and how my ears were hearing that day.

Yup, I use them with an Arrow as well and flip on the BB to 1 every now and again when I feel like more bass. The CK10 + Arrow BB1 is a pretty potent combo in my humble stable of IEMs.

Sep 9, 2011 at 2:20 AM Post #4,120 of 16,931

Quote:
@|joker|: quick question for you my dear friend. Of the customs you've heard, would you say the detail retrieval of the ER4S rivals that of customs? Or are customs yet again a 'step up', if you will. I just received my first every Ety's (ER4S), and I'm simply blown away at the level of detail. Quite a few tracks now have literally sent goosebumps down my skin. With the Zo thrown into the mix, well... where words fail... 

The ER-4S is ridiculously detailed as far as universals go and can easily compete with the 1964-T. Compared to the Miracle it doesn't quite have the same detail resolution and the way notes are fleshed out on the Miracle is much more realistic, if you consider that to be part of 'detail retrieval'. 

I have a sneaking suspicion that the Miracle gives up a bit of microdetail compared to some other high-end customs because of its note thickness, though. 

Quote:
Somehow I talked myself into maybe getting a Westone 4 in a couple of months (November-ish).

Do they need an amp or would they be happy out of a Clip+? I'm interested in knowing how they'd perform vs the TF10. Since the TF10's are more "fun", would that make the W4 "boring" by comparison? I don't need pounding bass like the TF10 and I'm pretty sensitive to overly sparkly highs but I would like something that keeps me engaged with the music. That was my problem with the UM3x: lots of bass but otherwise they sounded pretty boring especially in the higher frequencies. I've read the review quite a few times and it seems like the W4's have a "safer" signature by not being crazy explosive and engaging but not analytical either.

Is the W4 more of a "jack of all trades, master of none" kind of phone?

Don't know about a clip+ but the W4 is reasonably happy driven by a Cowon J3 or Cube C30 (rebadged Nationite something or another). I wouldn't say the W4 sounds purposely dull the way some other earphones do (Shure E4, Ety MC5, etc.) but it's a very level earphone and quite neutral in tone. I think your take on it from reading reviews is about as good as it will get without actually listening to it. Yes there is less bass than with the UM3X and it doesn't have the same dissecting sort of presentation but it's hardly a consumer sound. The W4 really doesn't have a 'wow' factor except for the fact that it has no glaring faults that I could hear (which is pretty noteworthy to me but maybe not so impressive in general).

Sep 9, 2011 at 2:30 AM Post #4,121 of 16,931
Quote:

The ER-4S is ridiculously detailed as far as universals go and can easily compete with the 1964-T. Compared to the Miracle it doesn't quite have the same detail resolution and the way notes are fleshed out on the Miracle is much more realistic, if you consider that to be part of 'detail retrieval'. 

I have a sneaking suspicion that the Miracle gives up a bit of microdetail compared to some other high-end customs because of its note thickness, though. 

No better time to use the Ety smile: 
etysmile.gif

Sep 9, 2011 at 3:55 AM Post #4,122 of 16,931

Quote:
Quote:

No better time to use the Ety smile: 
etysmile.gif

I am glad you finally got a hand on the ER4!

In my opinion, the ER4 is one of the most underrated IEM due to its age, but despite of having quite a few top-tier contenders, the ER4 never fails to impress me on its accuracy and details.

Sep 9, 2011 at 4:04 AM Post #4,123 of 16,931
And these hands don't intent to let go of the ER4's either! They've got me wanting to revisit my entire EDM collection (among other genres), and I can't stress the improvements the Zo brings forth. However, I still can't decide between the RE252 and ER4s; then again, I'm no longer pressed to. The two sound distinct enough to coexist, as far as I'm concerned. 
biggrin.gif

Sep 9, 2011 at 4:07 AM Post #4,124 of 16,931

Quote:

I didn't had too many IEMs, but when I had both the CK10 and CK100, I thought that the CK100 were better than CK10. And both CK10 and CK100 were WAY better than SE530. Unfortunately I haven't heard neither of the other models cited.

What I can say is that I find the CK100 to be excellent with vocals, perfect with trance and other electronic music and outstanding with most genres, maybe not so great with some pop.
I found to be also very revealing, needing 256 kbps MP3 or better files to get most of its potential. Using a Samsung Galaxy S with Voodoo Control.

Thanks. What is the difference between the two and what are there sound signature?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back