Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Jun 1, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #3,121 of 16,931

Quote:
Wow, never thought you would recommend a monster.  But you are right to say that full and tight are antithetical.  Would you say monster is tight or full?  I will definitely have to say tight is much more favorable to me now.  If not, please do recommend one that is tight with as close to that sound as it can get.  Thanks, and may your headphone collection be more plentiful.  I'm surprised you haven't reviewed some of the best yet.  I'm sure big sponsors such as jhaudio probably should know about your gigantic thread by now.  Oh, how awesome it would be to to see a review of the jh16pro from the great joker...

Monster is full, not to be confused with 'loose'. 'Tight' is often associated with more analytical sound but a bass-heavy earphone can still sound controlled (JVC FX700 and Hippo VB are great examples). I do like the Monster Turbine earphones - unlike the Beats series they have quite a lot going for them.

JHAudio was not even interested in selling me a JH5 at a discount, which is why I ended up getting the 1964-T. And of course the community was nice enough to pitch in for a UM Miracle, which is coming up on the review queue. 

Jun 1, 2011 at 5:36 PM Post #3,122 of 16,931

Quote:
Joker, how would would you characterize the response of your HF5 to amping by something like your iBasso T4? Is there any marked improvement when the source is your Fuze?

OK, so I'm not Joker, but my portable rig for the 6 months has been Fuze + Rockbox -> T4 -> HF5.  The nice thing about the HF5 is that it can handle everything your amp can do for the source.  The T4 creates a bigger, fuller and cleaner sound from the Fuze that the HF5 can fully represent.  (My Alessandro MS-1i with the T4 just sounds louder than without the T4).  So I can't really say if the HF5 IMPROVES with amping, or if it can better handle what the source + amp give it.  Does that make sense?  I know I would much rather listen to my Fuze -> HF5 WITH the T4 than without!

Just to try something different, I've just let go of my T4 and have ordered a SoundMagic A10 amp.  The T4 is certainly a clean amp, and I'm trying the A10 to see if it has a warmer sound to give the HF5 a bit more body and warmth (even tho Joker says the T4 is warm -- maybe he means with the bass boost on...).

Jun 1, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #3,123 of 16,931

Quote:
Monster is full, not to be confused with 'loose'. 'Tight' is often associated with more analytical sound but a bass-heavy earphone can still sound controlled (JVC FX700 and Hippo VB are great examples). I do like the Monster Turbine earphones - unlike the Beats series they have quite a lot going for them.

JHAudio was not even interested in selling me a JH5 at a discount, which is why I ended up getting the 1964-T. And of course the community was nice enough to pitch in for a UM Miracle, which is coming up on the review queue. 

I guess we should already be happy that jhaudio is sponsoring this site.  UM?  I looked it up.  Hmm, seems to be on par with jhaudio, only a little bit more bold to display what they are about.  I look forward to hearing it and seeing if it tops 1964ears.  I'm a bit happy that you told me to go with monster as their availability is pretty widespread, making it convenient to pick up in the store.

Jun 1, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #3,124 of 16,931
Hi joker, can u recommend me any mid-centric earphones? i enjoy forward mids that display intimacy in vocals and strings(violin) as forte. budget is flexible.  i have 1964-Q s which is a little too bassy for me (yes i regret), and someone else's reshelled UM3x which im considering to reshell . I've had the SM3 MTPC IE7 TF10 KC3.. Do you think the Radius TWF21 is a good option or should i go ahead and reshell UM3x? I'm on the verge of purchasing the TWF21 but theres nowhere i can audition it here in singapore :frowning2:

Jun 2, 2011 at 12:58 AM Post #3,125 of 16,931
Added Xears XR120PRO II and Kozee E100.

It seems that there is now a V2 Xears TD-III with cloth cables. Pricy at 80 EUR on the website but the old coupon code from the deal thread ("KLANGFUZZIS") brings the price down to 30. May also work on other Xears models.

Quote:
Hi joker, can u recommend me any mid-centric earphones? i enjoy forward mids that display intimacy in vocals and strings(violin) as forte. budget is flexible.  i have 1964-Q s which is a little too bassy for me (yes i regret), and someone else's reshelled UM3x which im considering to reshell . I've had the SM3 MTPC IE7 TF10 KC3.. Do you think the Radius TWF21 is a good option or should i go ahead and reshell UM3x? I'm on the verge of purchasing the TWF21 but theres nowhere i can audition it here in singapore :frowning2:

I don't consider the TWF21 mid-centric. Low+mid-centric, maybe, but it definitely draws plenty of attention to the bottom end. Not sure how bassy the 1964-Q is but the TWF21 probably beats the MTPC in impact and reach. That said, if you didn't like the SM3 you may not like the UM3X either as they do share a few similarities. If I had to make a mid-centric earphone list the ATH-CK100 and both of the Ortofon models would be on it.

Jun 2, 2011 at 1:32 AM Post #3,126 of 16,931
Damn, the Kozee E100 is so good it almost rivals the top tier customs in both comfort and sound.  Definitely next on my "must have" list
bigsmile_face.gif

Jun 2, 2011 at 10:42 AM Post #3,128 of 16,931

Quote:
Damn, the Kozee E100 is so good it almost rivals the top tier customs in both comfort and sound.  Definitely next on my "must have" list
bigsmile_face.gif

It would have become the new thread benchmark but I seem to have accidentally dropped it in an outgoing package headed for a foreign country.

Quote:
poor Joker, don't worry the CKM99s would prove better with a similar design (not fair I know). 

I would trust Audio-Technica not to put functional grilles on the wrong end of their IEMs 
rolleyes.gif

Jun 2, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #3,129 of 16,931
I've been out of the IEM loop for quite a while, and although I prefer full sized cans I'm leaning towards getting IEMs again just for convenience. What would you recommend for a basshead (must be good controlled bass, not just quantity) that has clear mids and isn't too bright, but still has good extension in the highs? For reference, I have the Ultrasone HFI-580 and I think it's perfect besides being a little bit too bright.

EDIT: I forgot, price range is $150 or less, and that's for the used price.

Jun 2, 2011 at 12:47 PM Post #3,130 of 16,931

Quote:
I don't consider the TWF21 mid-centric. Low+mid-centric, maybe, but it definitely draws plenty of attention to the bottom end. Not sure how bassy the 1964-Q is but the TWF21 probably beats the MTPC in impact and reach. That said, if you didn't like the SM3 you may not like the UM3X either as they do share a few similarities. If I had to make a mid-centric earphone list the ATH-CK100 and both of the Ortofon models would be on it.

Oh, i thought the TWF11 was mid-centric when i briefly auditioned it and was really enchanted when i heard a violin song on it, i thought the TWF21 would be the same. Btw i loved the SM3, when i got it i never wore my UM2 ever again, and it was long before i wore the MTPCs again, must've been the magic of the soundstage. But anyway, how would you compare the highs of the SM3 vs TWF21? I found the SM3's to have extremely distant highs, which i wouldnt even notice of unless i tried. Thank you for the help!

Jun 2, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #3,131 of 16,931

Quote:
I've been out of the IEM loop for quite a while, and although I prefer full sized cans I'm leaning towards getting IEMs again just for convenience. What would you recommend for a basshead (must be good controlled bass, not just quantity) that has clear mids and isn't too bright, but still has good extension in the highs? For reference, I have the Ultrasone HFI-580 and I think it's perfect besides being a little bit too bright.

EDIT: I forgot, price range is $150 or less, and that's for the used price.

I'm not sure what the HFI-580 sounds like. Good bass IEMs in that price range - Radius DDM, used MTPG, Senn IE6. Going down into the <$100 range there's the Beyer DTX101, Eterna, Xears TD-III, refurb Turbine, and NE-700X. All of these are neutral/leaning towards dark and have good clarity and decent treble presence in addition to heavy bass. 

Quote:
Oh, i thought the TWF11 was mid-centric when i briefly auditioned it and was really enchanted when i heard a violin song on it, i thought the TWF21 would be the same. Btw i loved the SM3, when i got it i never wore my UM2 ever again, and it was long before i wore the MTPCs again, must've been the magic of the soundstage. But anyway, how would you compare the highs of the SM3 vs TWF21? I found the SM3's to have extremely distant highs, which i wouldnt even notice of unless i tried. Thank you for the help!

The distant highs of the SM3 are relative and IMO seem that way mostly because of the forward and somewhat stuffy midrange. The TWF21 doesn't have that much midrange forwardness and the treble sounds more balanced. Doesn't quite have the extension of an SM3, though, and certainly not the detail.

Jun 2, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #3,132 of 16,931
Hey Joker, I hate to ask a question like this, but is there any ETA on the Shure reviews? I just got a pair of SE530s and while I like them, they're quite uncomfortable. I'd love to know how you describe the sound so I can reference your other reviews in order to see where to move next. I've been staying away from Westone and Earsonics multi-driver IEMs mostly due to their description of mid-centricness but I (mostly) like what I hear on the SE530, so if this is what midcentricity sounds like I can probably deal. Also, how large are the Westone and Earsonics multi-driver IEMs (UM3x, Westone 3, SM2/SM3) compared to the SE530? The Shures are very large and don't quite sit nicely in my ear. I'm also not sure if I'm using the smallest tips since I got mine secondhand and the smallest soft flex tips are irritating my canals (they look like they're small but they're probably mediums). Thanks!

Jun 2, 2011 at 8:19 PM Post #3,134 of 16,931

Quote:

I'm not sure what the HFI-580 sounds like. Good bass IEMs in that price range - Radius DDM, used MTPG, Senn IE6. Going down into the <$100 range there's the Beyer DTX101, Eterna, Xears TD-III, refurb Turbine, and NE-700X. All of these are neutral/leaning towards dark and have good clarity and decent treble presence in addition to heavy bass. 

The IE6 looks really nice. How good is the isolation on the 1-5 scale?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back