Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Apr 29, 2011 at 5:20 AM Post #2,746 of 16,931
dunno why my reply button wont work, but thanks joker. thats very helpful way of putting it actually.
didnt expect ie7 to be in the list. will try them out again later, cant really recall how they sound like anymore, except for being very wet in the bass.. >_<

btw, can u help me out with listing the ones with most extension as well? any dynamic goes. Iater i'll also gonna read ur thoughts on the eq5 and mc5, always liked to read reviews, especially comparison reviews. cheers

Apr 29, 2011 at 6:01 AM Post #2,748 of 16,931

Quote:
Would it be better to reshell a DBA-02 or get a custom?

A reshelled DBA-02 would be, by definition, a custom.  If you really like your DBA-02, it'd probably be best to just reshell that, since a custom at around that price would never be as good.

...of course, if you don't already have the DBA-02, that's a different matter.

Apr 29, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #2,750 of 16,931
Quote:
I unfortunately haven't heard of the ER6i to make that comparison. If you got fatigued due to the treble, then it is highly likely that Etymotic in general just isn't suitable for you.

Again though, I have no idea at all to how the ER6i should or would sound.
tongue.gif

Thank you for the reply. I do like treble, but maybe the ER6i had too much of it. I guess I need to find the MC5 and HF5 in store to see how those compare. 

Apr 29, 2011 at 5:39 PM Post #2,752 of 16,931
I think the score for the MC5 is fine. Not really very Ety-like though as it is quite dark. Needs the right tips or it can be a real disappointment. Like the SM3, the MC5 was rescued(for me) by the Kanen KM-948 tips. We were all over that in the MC5 thread; they are one of the more YMMV phones out there and their level of satisfaction really varies. I sold my MC5 and kept the CLX60. A/B'd them both over a few days and decided I preferred the Pioneer.

Apr 29, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #2,753 of 16,931

Quote:
Would it be better to reshell a DBA-02 or get a custom?

IMO get something that is meant to be a custom. The DBA-02 while is good at a damn good price it can't keep up with actual customs (not reshells). That changes if you add drivers and such but I would either keep the DBA-02 and get a custom or sell the DBA-02 to help fund the custom.

Apr 29, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #2,754 of 16,931

Quote:
Let me ask you this then. I tried the ER6i and the SQ wasn't to my liking, it was kind of fatiguing the first minute of trying it. I don't think it was a problem with the one I tired, as I did try on another one with the same results. Would the HF5 or MC5 have similar signature vs the ER6i?

The signature of the Er6i is closer to that of the HF-series than the MC5 but with less presence in the lowest octave. I would not recommend the HF5 if you hated the Er6i, and it's probably not worth risking the MC5 either. Depending on your end goal, there are earphones that are just as competent (or even more so) without chancing listening fatigue, such as the RE-ZERO.

Quote:
dunno why my reply button wont work, but thanks joker. thats very helpful way of putting it actually.
didnt expect ie7 to be in the list. will try them out again later, cant really recall how they sound like anymore, except for being very wet in the bass.. >_<

btw, can u help me out with listing the ones with most extension as well? any dynamic goes. Iater i'll also gonna read ur thoughts on the eq5 and mc5, always liked to read reviews, especially comparison reviews. cheers

The IE7 is on the list only because there was no real reason to eliminate it - it is not sealed, doesn't roll off noticeably, and is generally pretty competent. That said, I think the GR07 is a better earphone.

As you saw there are very few high-end dynamics out there. I'd add the IE8 and FX700 if price is no object - certainly no extension issues on either of those.

Apr 30, 2011 at 3:30 AM Post #2,757 of 16,931
Just wanted to point out that the RE-ZERO is rather fit and seal dependant and can be a fatiguing listen if you don't get the right seal. Once that's out of the way the only thing stopping me from wearing them always is that I don't know sign language.

Quote:
The signature of the Er6i is closer to that of the HF-series than the MC5 but with less presence in the lowest octave. I would not recommend the HF5 if you hated the Er6i, and it's probably not worth risking the MC5 either. Depending on your end goal, there are earphones that are just as competent (or even more so) without chancing listening fatigue, such as the RE-ZERO.

Apr 30, 2011 at 7:37 AM Post #2,759 of 16,931
I found the MC5 quite fit-dependent as well, and I think that may help account for the wide range of opinions about them. (I use the large triflanges.) I also found them dark at first until I got the hang of inserting them properly- at least for the shape of my ear canals a really deep insertion, achieved by moistening the tips and pulling up fairly hard on my ear as I insert  the tip, seems to be vital for treble as well as bass extension. Since I got the hang of that, they seem roughly as bright as my SR80s (which I wear low and forward, so they aren't nearly as bright as when worn circumaurally), and a little less bassy, but overall similar enough that there's surprisingly little adjustment involved in going back and forth. Maybe that fit-dependence makes them too fussy to be generally recommendable, but they work nicely for me.

Apr 30, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #2,760 of 16,931
I think I might've found a breakthrough for the Meelec SP51. The Comply Foam Tips T-400+Extreme Bass Port provides the punchiest and biggest bass. It's punchy for the Enhanced Bass Port, but the presence is less. There is also the fact that the treble is much more open and it's much more airy on both ports. My SP51 is still burning in, so I'm in for a goooooooood ride. 
ksc75smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back