Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Apr 20, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #2,671 of 16,931
I was suspecting that the Hippo VB's was the set I was looking for. I'll have this along with my SP51 and I need to return my SP51 because it's a defective pair. I'll have the new SP51 by Saturday or Monday or Tuesday. I'll tell you guys how the SP51 ports will affect the Hippo VB's sound signature. 

Apr 20, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #2,672 of 16,931

Quote:
Hey guys, was wondering if you could give me a bit of advice. I'm really stumped as to what I should do. See my post here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/548861/upgrades-from-ue-sf5pros-250-300-recommendations#post_7417444

Basically, my UE SF5pros just failed, and so i'm looking at upgrading. Something in the area of ~$200-400. Like I said in my post, I don't know if I should get a UM reshell of the UEs (~$450), go for the UM Aero (~$500) or just get a universal kit, somewhere in the area of ~$200-400 and try and sell my semi broken UEs to someone or maybe eventually down the road getting them reshelled. I think i'm leaning towards the universal route just because its quicker and easier and cheaper.... but I will look at going customs at some point (maybe a good reason to keep my UEs).

So, in the case of going universals, what should I look at? I'm really confused.... reading through this thread, kinda makes me want to go for the Westone 4, but I know people have issues with comfort/fit so I dunno.. What else should I be looking at? Or are there any cheaper ones that will give me similar sorts of results?

Really what i'm looking for is: excellend sound quality, good build quality, good isolation, good bass, low microphonics, good fit and a good level of comfort.

Mainly for listening to music, mostly trance/house but also a little bit of pop/rock, and maybe even for a bit of movies/tv shows/gaming. For use at home/travelling/out and about at uni and what not.

If anyone could help me wade it all out, that would be amazing. I'm so confused, especially reading this thread, reading the other threads in this forum, looking at earphonesolutions recommendations etc etc. Thanks guys :)

The cheapest option would probably be a non-UM re-shell. Don't expect throwing extra drivers at the SF5Pro to make it better - while I'm sure the techs at UM know what they're doing, the SF5 has a couple of weaknesses that prevent it from being a true top-tier earphone in my book and I don't know if that'll be fixed by the re-shell. I have no idea what the UM Aero sounds like but the W4 should be a good fit for you. It has maybe a touch less bass than the SuperFi5 but it is much cleaner and more detailed. Westone pays a lot of attention to ergonomics and I expect most people will be happy with the W4's fit. If you find the bass of the SF5Pro lacking quantity, the W3 might be a good fit as well.

Quote:

Good deal. Surprised they're so cheap so soon.

Apr 21, 2011 at 1:57 AM Post #2,673 of 16,931

Quote:

The cheapest option would probably be a non-UM re-shell. Don't expect throwing extra drivers at the SF5Pro to make it better - while I'm sure the techs at UM know what they're doing, the SF5 has a couple of weaknesses that prevent it from being a true top-tier earphone in my book and I don't know if that'll be fixed by the re-shell. I have no idea what the UM Aero sounds like but the W4 should be a good fit for you. It has maybe a touch less bass than the SuperFi5 but it is much cleaner and more detailed. Westone pays a lot of attention to ergonomics and I expect most people will be happy with the W4's fit. If you find the bass of the SF5Pro lacking quantity, the W3 might be a good fit as well.

Thanks for the advice. I've actually decided the W4 is out of my price range... including shipping it brings it up to ~$460usd and yea, its just getting all too much. So now I'm thinking around the ~$300-350 mark... maybe the W3? How does it compare? Or should I be looking at something else?

Still undecided as to what to do with the superfis... maybe i'll get a new pair of universals and see how it goes and then think about reshelling them.... as for the extra driver, yea I dunno, they said its 'highly recommended'... makes it a 2-way dual low and single mid/high setup. Hrm.

Apr 21, 2011 at 4:35 AM Post #2,674 of 16,931
@ Joker 
The UM3X now comes with all the accessories that the W3 and W4 come with.  (about 10-12 pairs of tips / case / wax loop and brush combo)
Thought it might help to update the review section. :)

Apr 21, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #2,675 of 16,931

Quote:
@ Joker 
The UM3X now comes with all the accessories that the W3 and W4 come with.  (about 10-12 pairs of tips / case / wax loop and brush combo)
Thought it might help to update the review section. :)

Is that true for all UM3Xs or just the RC version?

Apr 21, 2011 at 8:53 PM Post #2,676 of 16,931
Hey joker, i already buy the ECCI PR401, just waiting for it. I will say what i think of them when they arrive.

But, from what i've read, they're very great IEMs and the value is very good. I hope that they have a great instrument separation because my CKM55 lacks in this.

Thanks for your help!

Apr 22, 2011 at 3:05 PM Post #2,678 of 16,931
I can't thank Joker enough for this awesome comprehensive review.  Helped me decide to cancel my order for klipsch s4 in favor of the MEElectronics a151 ($50 at amazon :)

Now I need another suggestion.  I have an fleabay "groupon" that I'd like to use to get a pair of budget IEMs since the senn 300's i was using died.  I'm a headphone noob and those sounded good enough for me while they lasted.

Here's what I'm looking for:

A better build quality.  The stress reliefs ripped off of my old senns and soon enough one side went out.  Also the microphonics were awful (never wore over the ear tho).
Comfort.  I wanna sleep with them in and I tend to sleep with my ear down on the pillow.  The 300 was fine for that puropse, but I'm not sure if bulky or over the ear headphones would be very comfortable. But I also wanna use them for running and working out so they gotta stay put in my.

Looking through the lineup I'd consider MEE m6, NuForce ne-6, soundmagic PL30, brainwavz m1, h2o audio flex, senn cx250, maximo im390, vsonic r02, ECCI PR100, etc.
If anybody would weigh in on the best option to get on ebay or if there are any suggestions, I'd really appreciate it.

Apr 22, 2011 at 10:55 PM Post #2,679 of 16,931

Quote:
I recently got the RC version but people have been saying the fixed cable UM3X comes with all the accessories too.
also Earphone Solutions updated their "this item comes with" section on the fixed cable UM3X to include all the tips and wax loop etc.

Ok, thanks - I'll make a note of it.

Quote:
I can't thank Joker enough for this awesome comprehensive review.  Helped me decide to cancel my order for klipsch s4 in favor of the MEElectronics a151 ($50 at amazon :)

Now I need another suggestion.  I have an fleabay "groupon" that I'd like to use to get a pair of budget IEMs since the senn 300's i was using died.  I'm a headphone noob and those sounded good enough for me while they lasted.

Here's what I'm looking for:

A better build quality.  The stress reliefs ripped off of my old senns and soon enough one side went out.  Also the microphonics were awful (never wore over the ear tho).
Comfort.  I wanna sleep with them in and I tend to sleep with my ear down on the pillow.  The 300 was fine for that puropse, but I'm not sure if bulky or over the ear headphones would be very comfortable. But I also wanna use them for running and working out so they gotta stay put in my.

Looking through the lineup I'd consider MEE m6, NuForce ne-6, soundmagic PL30, brainwavz m1, h2o audio flex, senn cx250, maximo im390, vsonic r02, ECCI PR100, etc.
If anybody would weigh in on the best option to get on ebay or if there are any suggestions, I'd really appreciate it.

You want a number of very different things there. For a balance of durability and SQ the ViSang R02 would be near the top of that heap but I don't know if you'll be able to sleep in it. For sleeping it'll have to be the M6, PL30, CX250, or Flex. I happen to like the PL30 and Flex but coming from the CX300 they will seem extremely bass-light to you. The CX250 is a good option but you have to be careful of fake Sennheiser products on ebay - there are many. The M6 is a good deal at current prices but not everyone finds it as comfortable as I do.

Apr 23, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #2,681 of 16,931

Quote:
You want a number of very different things there. For a balance of durability and SQ the ViSang R02 would be near the top of that heap but I don't know if you'll be able to sleep in it. For sleeping it'll have to be the M6, PL30, CX250, or Flex. I happen to like the PL30 and Flex but coming from the CX300 they will seem extremely bass-light to you. The CX250 is a good option but you have to be careful of fake Sennheiser products on ebay - there are many. The M6 is a good deal at current prices but not everyone finds it as comfortable as I do.

Dude, you are the best! and thanks for the advice.  Once I get my MEE a151s, if I like em, I may decide that I want something with more bass just for fun. thanks for bringing up that point

Apr 23, 2011 at 12:35 PM Post #2,682 of 16,931
Joker,

I think it would be great if there was a list of top picks for each tier.  Excellent work by the way.  Although I have different ears and tastes than you do, its a great guide for the noobs.  It should be stickied, but the forum setup doesn't seem to allow that.  Oh well...

Apr 23, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #2,683 of 16,931

Dude, you are the best! and thanks for the advice.  Once I get my MEE a151s, if I like em, I may decide that I want something with more bass just for fun. thanks for bringing up that point

Good plan :wink:

Joker,

I think it would be great if there was a list of top picks for each tier.  Excellent work by the way.  Although I have different ears and tastes than you do, its a great guide for the noobs.  It should be stickied, but the forum setup doesn't seem to allow that.  Oh well...

I have a 'my picks' section and it's been a work in progress for a while but for the time being I've decided to focus on new reviews and let others handle recommendations and such. I think it'd be too easy to leave an earphone that's absolutely perfect for a particular listener's tastes/uses out of such a guide so it has to be fairly all-encompassing. Originally, it was going to be sorted by sound signature but I think ClieOS has covered that pretty well and certainly in much more detail than I was going to.

Apr 23, 2011 at 9:03 PM Post #2,684 of 16,931
I'm coming from the CX300 also and I'm considering between the MEElectronics A151 and M6.
Does anyone having any input that would help me swing towards one or the other?

Quote:

Apr 23, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #2,685 of 16,931

Quote:
I'm coming from the CX300 also and I'm considering between the MEElectronics A151 and M6.
Does anyone having any input that would help me swing towards one or the other?

Do you like the warmth and bass impact of your cx300? If so, go with the cc51 (if the a151 is in your price range, so are these). If you want less impact and want a more detail oriented sound choose the a151.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back