Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Mar 3, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #2,296 of 16,931

Quote:
It's funny how preferences differ between people. I much preferred listening to Daft Punk with the RE-ZERO's than I did with the Monster Turbines (in response to the bass). The highs were just so much more pleasing with the RE-ZERO's and they coped well with the speed.

What would be the logical, direct upgrade after the RE-ZERO? A similar sound signature with maybe a little more in the bass end, better speed/soundstage.

I do like daft punk (and all other music) better with my primary earphones, which lean towards the analytical, but there are times when I'm tired or whatnot and I just don't care about anything but the beats. Doesn't happen too often.

I think to upgrade from the RE-ZERO you'd have to stray a bit from that signature. The RE262 uses a highly capable driver that generally sounds cleaner than the RE-ZERO and delivers more bass and a wider stage. However, it also moves away from the analytical tendencies of the ZERO towards a warmer, more fluid signature. 

Mar 3, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #2,297 of 16,931
Since we are on the topic, which BAs had great timbre in your experience? I would give it to the SM3 and runner-up HF5 in my limited BA experience. 
Quote: Joker
Thanks. And yes, timbre issues are more noticeable next to the FX700 but then I knew which earphones are slightly off beforehand thanks to knowing how most of my tracks sound with the K601.

Mar 3, 2011 at 11:01 PM Post #2,298 of 16,931

Quote:
Since we are on the topic, which BAs had great timbre in your experience? I would give it to the SM3 and runner-up HF5 in my limited BA experience. 

IMO the SM3 doesn't have the treble energy to properly render the timbre of cymbals, electric guitars, horns, brass, etc.  Apart from the 30hz roll-off on the DBA it portrays timbre in the rest of the spectrum more accurately and naturally to my ears.  My ES5 just arrived today as well...

Mar 3, 2011 at 11:38 PM Post #2,299 of 16,931
yeah, i'll agree with the above, instruments that need that decay past 3k aren't what the SM3 does great . Timbre is really instrument specific and the SM3 doesn't do well on those. I personally think it does well on pianos, cello, bass, bass drums, toms, etc. I wouldn't say the timbre is overall great compared to dynamics, but it's good considering the BAs I've heard. I have two twfk based BAs on the way and will be interested in how those hold-up. 

Mar 5, 2011 at 2:25 AM Post #2,303 of 16,931
After trying AT CK10s and deciding I did not want IEMs I am still tempted to try them some more. I changed my objectives in this case completely though. I have a pair of Beyerdynamic T5ps and Sennheiser MX980s and now am looking to buy some IEMs that would be completely different from the two I already have.

I had AT ESW9s some time ago and I loved the warmness, lushness they gave. The tubey sound that made you forget about everything and just listen to music for indefinite amounts of time with no fatigue would be what I am looking for. A bit more detail and transparency that ESW9s lacked would be very welcome too.

I will be using them mainly on planes and not on the move. They do not have to be top tier or anything, I just need something relaxing and helping me fall asleep :wink: but since I like premium built quality a higher price tag will not be an issue if it also brings accessories or built quality in.

I live in Europe and thus it would be good if I did not have to import them from the US, but if it is needed I will do it.

I currently use Sony X Series with mp3s of high bitrate and also have a Meier Stepdance portable amp and have an iBasso D6 on order so driving the IEMs will not be a problem.

Does what I am looking for even exist? 

I read a few threads as well as the reviews in this thread and thought about:
Monster MDs;
Panasonic RP-HJE900;
Brainwavz M3,
Thinksound TS02

Some also suggested Denon C751, but I have not been able to confirm if these would fit the requirements.

What woud you recommend? My budget is totally open and if I find the right phones I can pay for them.

Mar 5, 2011 at 2:50 AM Post #2,304 of 16,931
^ For tubey sound, relaxing and non-fatiguing listening, yet at the same time great detail and transparency, look no further than the Ortofon e-Q7. You can get them in Europe from iheadphones.uk.

Mar 5, 2011 at 2:52 AM Post #2,305 of 16,931
^ Warm, non fatiguing and isolation are not strengths of the HJE900.  I have used MDs on airplanes a lot so far.  Isolate pretty well and provide alot of what you want.  Your needs are some of the reasons I've kept my MDs.  They should mate well w/ the Stepdance too.  I've fallen asleep w/ them a few times as I have my DBAs and ES5s.  Obviously you've read a lot about them in their thread already so you know the up and downsides.  Haven't heard the ESW9 so can't comment on that.  If you want a similar sound sig but w/ a more technically proficient type of BA version the SM3 is that to the MD IMO.  The MDs Achilles heel is speedy and complex passages and timbre accuracy in the upper treble but that's the warmth and smoothness.  The SM3 has its own properties you may or may not like as well. 

Mar 5, 2011 at 4:43 AM Post #2,307 of 16,931

Quote:
^ For tubey sound, relaxing and non-fatiguing listening, yet at the same time great detail and transparency, look no further than the Ortofon e-Q7. You can get them in Europe from iheadphones.uk.

I read up on them and they seem to have a bit dry midrange and some other things that are not to my liking. 

Quote:
^ Warm, non fatiguing and isolation are not strengths of the HJE900.  I have used MDs on airplanes a lot so far.  Isolate pretty well and provide alot of what you want.  Your needs are some of the reasons I've kept my MDs.  They should mate well w/ the Stepdance too.  I've fallen asleep w/ them a few times as I have my DBAs and ES5s.  Obviously you've read a lot about them in their thread already so you know the up and downsides.  Haven't heard the ESW9 so can't comment on that.  If you want a similar sound sig but w/ a more technically proficient type of BA version the SM3 is that to the MD IMO.  The MDs Achilles heel is speedy and complex passages and timbre accuracy in the upper treble but that's the warmth and smoothness.  The SM3 has its own properties you may or may not like as well. 

Deleted HJE900 from my list and moved Monster MD up.

Here is what I have:

Monster MD
Brainwavz M3 - cheap and no loss if I do not like them.
Thinksound TS02 - the same as with BM3.
C751 - I have to read a bit more about them.
PL50?

I am leaning towards BM3s because on one side they are cheap and give good value for money. They do not have the overpowerig bass quality that MDM have.

Looking at my choices from the perspective of how little use they will be getting, I carry y T5ps everywhere with me and will only use IEMs at times when I do not want to take T5ps out, I think it would be more reasonable to buy something less expensive.

Can anyone tell me their opinions about the Brainwavz M3s?

Mar 5, 2011 at 5:13 AM Post #2,309 of 16,931
I will buy Brainwavz M3s today and see how I like them. I will see how this level of equipment compares to my current rig and if I like them or not. If I do not I will simply give them as a present to someone and buy something else, or keep them and just use them for benchmarking other stuff.

Now I just have to find a source to buy these as they seem to not be readily available everywhere, or buy them used from this forum.

Mar 5, 2011 at 3:44 PM Post #2,310 of 16,931

Quote:
yeah, i'll agree with the above, instruments that need that decay past 3k aren't what the SM3 does great . Timbre is really instrument specific and the SM3 doesn't do well on those. I personally think it does well on pianos, cello, bass, bass drums, toms, etc. I wouldn't say the timbre is overall great compared to dynamics, but it's good considering the BAs I've heard. I have two twfk based BAs on the way and will be interested in how those hold-up. 

I'll agree with that. The SM3 does't have enough treble energy for me but it does have good timbre with instruments that don't require it, at least for a BA. 

Two twfks? q-JAYS and what else?

Quote:
Have you guys ever thought of using the Meelectronics M6 Triple Flange Eartips for the Sennheiser IE8? They both have the same nozzle tip size (5.5mm).  

Using the IE8 with long and highly flexible tips doesn't seem like it would yield great results but you're welcome to try it. You would have to have fairly narrow ear canals to get a consistent seal.

Quote:
Can anyone recommend me anything similar to the Eterna's v1?
I like the sound signature but the large housing is an annoyance to my ear.

If you can find Futuresonics Atrios in your price range, they may suit your ears better - the fitting system is more similar to Phonak's in that the housing is not really meant to touch your ears. Bonus points for sticking Shure Olives on them if you don't like multi-flange silicone tips.

Quote:
I was thinking about spending about $120 on an IEM, but it seems that a cheaper one like the SW-Xcape or the RE0 are better options... Am i right?

Assuming that the signatures of the RE0 and Xcape are to your liking - yes - but taste can swing the scale both ways. 

Quote:
Joker, any thoughts on the A151 vs. the RE0/Xcape? Just wondering, since they seem to be in the same price range and all score pretty highly...

Not sure what I can add to the reviews - the A151 generally wins out in usability (though less  so over the Xcape)  but doesn't really
 have the crispness or treble energy to compete with either of the dynamics. It's a good earphone for an inoffensive sound but it's not quite 'hi-fi' in my book, much like the PL50 or Westone 1.

Quote:
Here is what I have:

Monster MD
Brainwavz M3 - cheap and no loss if I do not like them.
Thinksound TS02 - the same as with BM3.
C751 - I have to read a bit more about them.
PL50?

I am leaning towards BM3s because on one side they are cheap and give good value for money. They do not have the overpowerig bass quality that MDM have.

Looking at my choices from the perspective of how little use they will be getting, I carry y T5ps everywhere with me and will only use IEMs at times when I do not want to take T5ps out, I think it would be more reasonable to buy something less expensive.

Can anyone tell me their opinions about the Brainwavz M3s?

Any reason you excluded the RE262? On the higher end of things they are probably the first earphone I think of when 'warm and relaxing' comes up. On the budget end of things, I can make things harder for you by adding the Xears TD-III. Not the greatest build quality but then they are cheaper than everything else you're considering except maybe the PL50s. No review of them in this thread yet but I did write something up here

And of course from your list I'd pick the MDs assuming you don't find copious bass antithetical to your relaxation needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back