Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Apr 19, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #15,796 of 16,931

IM50 and Tenore 
wink.gif

+1 this though I prefer the Carbo Basso versus Tenore....but you can't go wrong with all these.

Apr 19, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #15,797 of 16,931

+1 this though I prefer the Carbo Basso versus Tenore....but you can't go wrong with all these.

Why do you prefer the Basso? What is the difference between them?

Apr 19, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #15,798 of 16,931
Why do you prefer the Basso? What is the difference between them?

A tad more bass than the tenore while sacrificing only a bit of detail does it for me....

They are very similar but I like that bit more impactful lower end on this earphone.

Cheers,
K

Apr 19, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #15,799 of 16,931
I know reviews cover exterior build quality, cable durability, etc.

Is there any info on longevity of IEMs? I have heard of cheap IEMs (for example, sennheiser cx300s II) lasting for up to 4 years, and expensive IEMs (sennheiser ie80, dje1500s for example) failing quickly. Surely there must be info on this, because this would be the quality control aspect of the company, but can't really be observed by the consumer.

I am just curious, I am fairly sure that most last a long time.

My two cents on this -

This would be great into to have but there's so many variables that it would be a massive effort to keep everything straight. Two users can have vastly different experiences with the same IEM based on their use pattern, environment, etc., not to mention potential production and QC differences between different batches of the same earphone. Other considerations would include things like counterfeits - for instance, chances are fake Senn IE8s don't last as long as real ones.

In order to have truly meaningful stats you would need to have a huge pool of independent users who take similar care of their gear. In the real world we can expect that the average $20 Skullcandy earbuds get treated worse than a $500 Westone W40, and $40 Sony buds are, on average, purchased by less knowledgeable users than $40 VSonics.

This would be very hard to achieve with the sheer number of different earphones out there - especially getting data for more niche sets, as well as for the latest and greatest (and untested), that tends to be the most popular on Head-Fi. 

For now the best we have for this sort of thing - and this is only useful months or years after release - is consumer review trends on websites like Amazon. Yes, these can be manipulated and yes, a lot of those reviewers lack the kind of knowledge of headphone products most Head-Fiers have (which results in some reviews being user error or easily fixed problems), but average trends for simple things like "earpiece failed after 3 months" can probably be trusted. 

I typically adjust my build quality ratings if I keep getting consistent reports of similar failures, but this is quite rare. I think the last set this happened with was the SteelSeries Flux, which turned out to have a somewhat weak cable (my own two units still work fine, though). This info didn't surface until 6+ months after I reviewed it (and 1 1/2 years after it was originally released) and even then I wouldn't have got wind of it if it hadn't been one of my recommended sets in the price range. 

Apr 20, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #15,801 of 16,931
Ah, that makes sense. Looks like that would be much more difficult than I previously thought, since all of the owners would have to be consciously aware of their IEMs throughout their duration. Thank you for the detailed response!

I usually look up info that could hint towards early failure (for example, the Hifiman re300h looked quite impressive on paper, but in the thread it was reported to have strain reliefs glued on, which came off easily). I ended up buying the most durable IEMs I could find, assum8ng they were built equally well on the inside lol

PS: The amount of times I have referenced your multi IEM review is unreal, excellent work!

Apr 21, 2015 at 3:07 AM Post #15,802 of 16,931
Ah, that makes sense. Looks like that would be much more difficult than I previously thought, since all of the owners would have to be consciously aware of their IEMs throughout their duration. Thank you for the detailed response!

I usually look up info that could hint towards early failure (for example, the Hifiman re300h looked quite impressive on paper, but in the thread it was reported to have strain reliefs glued on, which came off easily). I ended up buying the most durable IEMs I could find, assum8ng they were built equally well on the inside lol

PS: The amount of times I have referenced your multi IEM review is unreal, excellent work!

Thanks!

I wish there was a little warning chime I'd get when there's consistent reports of a large proportion of a particular earphone model failing with no fix from the manufacturer, but unfortunately that's not the case. 

Apr 22, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #15,803 of 16,931
I am using a pair of etymotic research hf5 iems and love the sound but want more detail and sound stage without them being big, I like to sleep with headphones in and lay on my side which I do fine with these but I want more detail and soundstage. I use an iPhone 6+ with a fiio e07k amp. Any suggestions the cheaper the better

Apr 23, 2015 at 3:40 AM Post #15,804 of 16,931
I am using a pair of etymotic research hf5 iems and love the sound but want more detail and sound stage without them being big, I like to sleep with headphones in and lay on my side which I do fine with these but I want more detail and soundstage. I use an iPhone 6+ with a fiio e07k amp. Any suggestions the cheaper the better

Zero Audio Tenore.

Apr 23, 2015 at 4:06 AM Post #15,805 of 16,931

i think you can sleep with VSD5 and are detailed enough with better sound stage too.

Apr 23, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #15,806 of 16,931
Joker!! GOAT!

Is there a moderately priced CIEM that has a similar signature to the Dunu DN2000's?

I love everything about the DN2k's.. just hate the comfort and heft. Maybe a little more extension in the treble as well. 

$350-$500 range. 1964 Ears? Noble? I'm not sure--this is my first attempt looking into CIEMs. <3

Apr 24, 2015 at 2:35 AM Post #15,808 of 16,931
  Quote:

Hard to beat the HF5 for detail in that price range. Soundstage is easier. If you're looking to maximize value your best bet IMO would be a nice dual-BA (TWFK) based set. If you're aiming for HF5 price range (<$120) it would probably be a lightly used VSonic VC1000 or UE700. For sleeping the tiny UE700 is better, but not sure if the cable will hold up to sleeping duty. 

Joker!! GOAT!

Is there a moderately priced CIEM that has a similar signature to the Dunu DN2000's?

I love everything about the DN2k's.. just hate the comfort and heft. Maybe a little more extension in the treble as well. 

$350-$500 range. 1964 Ears? Noble? I'm not sure--this is my first attempt looking into CIEMs. <3

Nothing that I'm familiar with is a perfect match. The 1964-V3 is closest - it's one of the very few CIEMs in my collection with bass that is enhanced enough to match the Dunu (in fact, I think it's a touch more mid-bassy, and warmer as well) and has slightly V/U-shaped overall signature. Not sure how it compares to the Nobles in that price range - I only have the Noble 4S.

How bad is the GR07 BE sibilance? Anything near that of a VSD3S? Gr07 BE looks like a good step up from my vsd3s, but not for a while, cuz I only got the vsd3s pretty recently.

Yes, similar to the VSD3S.

Apr 27, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #15,809 of 16,931
Hey guys, I'm a long-time lurker and I'd like to say that you guys are great for helping with headphone research. Right now I'm looking to upgrade from my Klipsch Image S4s to a better pair of IEMs. I tested the RHA T10is, which had great build quality, but just seemed to be missing something as far as sound went. I'm looking for a pair of warm, bassy IEMs less than $250. Any ideas? I've heard great things about the SE215s, but I'm not sure if they're enough of a step-up from the S4s to be worth it.

Apr 27, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #15,810 of 16,931
Hehe, I have used all three of those (S4, T10, and se215)

S4: Amazing when I had it, but build quality and microphonics were horrible
T10: Currently my absolute favorite IEMs at the moment. Amazing build quality, and paired with the samsung S5 eartips they really shine
Se215: Excellent build quality, isolation, fit, and comfort. Sadly, the sound isn't all that it's hyped to be. The sound lacks in sub-bass impact and highs, which REALLY take down its clarity. They are very warm however, but unfortunately the sound was way too muddy for my tastes. Their limited editions take care of the sub bass I believe, but not the muddiness.

Based off of my research, here are my suggestions:
Audio Technica ATH-IM70 & IM50
Fidue A71
Pioneer DJE-1500s
Hisoundaudo wooduo 2 (for basshead)
RHA MA750s (not particularly for modern pop style music)

I know you said you didn't like the T10 sound, but would you be able to explain? I am using them with the samsung S5 large eartips, and they are absolutely beautiful sounding. I have also listened to the Westone W3s, and comparatively, those were not exciting. Very excellent in their own right, but lacked impact and energy.

Good luck in your search! I am sure ljokerl's headphone list would help you immensely as well, on his site!

One last thing....Wecome to Head-Fi! And sorry about your wallet :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back