Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Dec 14, 2010 at 3:33 AM Post #1,516 of 16,931
Quote:
 i read most your reveiws after i posted last night, i think i mislead you by saying i want something with mid forward, i just dont like it when mid is veiled.

i have no problem ordering online, i just couldnt find fish audio's website.  i dont really like the look of FA eterna and its over the ear style, 

how is Fischer Audio Silver Bullet? website shows its out of stock

i think i dont have many choices, after reading some of the reviews more than twice lol

hippo vb, visang/brainwaz r03 and silver bullet

base on your review most likely i will get the silver bullet for the look and price, i think i will be happy with it

Not many mid-range and high-end earphones have veiled mids, to be honest. Fischer audio products can be purchased from bugdenaudio or gd-audiobase. The latter now stocks rev.2 of the Silver Bullets which is supposed to have received a much-needed cable upgrade. I haven't gotten the review up yet but the Phiaton PS 20 is another strong competitor in the ~80 range with no hint of midrange veil, assuming isolation is not a priority and the half in-ear form factor is okay. The PS20, M2/M3, and Silver Bullet all have less mid-bass than the Jamz but are more balanced and less muddy across the range which is a very fair tradeoff in my book. 

Quote:
how to read this ?  is the dbr higher the better?

jamz 's bass quantity is 80%  of portapro, but the bass of jamz is more punchy and impactfull

"Better" is a relative term - depends on what you're looking for. The graph simply shows you the relative output level at different frequencies. For example for the two Jamz earphones, if you take 1kHz as the base point you can deduce that at the same output @1kHz, the Jamz will have less sub-bass and more rolled-off treble than the Lil' Jamz. In terms of perceived frequency response there are many other factors (ear resonance, hearing sensitivity, loudness response, etc) so you won't necessarily hear your headphones/earphones the way they graph. Conversely you can't graph something by ear objectively, though you can probably graph two headphones relative to each other using pink noise and frequency sweeps (with some practice).

We can graph the Jamz vs the PortaPro and see that the 25-year-old Koss set is still the more balanced headphone. Things like bass control (i.e. punchy vs boomy) and impact quantity (i.e. soft vs aggressive bass) aren't really something you can read off a graph.

Dec 14, 2010 at 5:57 AM Post #1,517 of 16,931
no wonder the more i compare the portapros and jamzs, the more i think portapros are really good for the price  i got my jamz for 42 bucks anyways , seeing how the jamz on sale all the time for like 50 -70 bucks , i knew they wouldnt sound great, i didnt expect to be this bad

thanks for taking your time pointing me to right direction

Dec 14, 2010 at 12:54 PM Post #1,518 of 16,931
I must say this is one heck of a guide, the effort you have put to make it shows the magnitude of passion you have for music.
smile.gif

Anyways, why haven't you reviewed Head-Direct RE1? Any particular reason?

Dec 14, 2010 at 1:16 PM Post #1,519 of 16,931
Hello, I just wanted to thank you for this absolutely awesome guide.  It has served me well when looking for earphones, and so far hasn't failed me.

I really appreciate the fact that despite your preferences for analytical sound, you still review "fun" earphones and try to judge them from a "fun" earphone lover's perspective.  This takes some work doing, and it's quite impressive.  It got me the TD100-II, which I would have never heard about if it had not been for this site.

Speaking of the Xears headphones, it seems like you're reviewing the Xears bullets (XB120Pro) as well.  Just curious... do you have any initial impressions of them?  I have my own, but I curious whether my ears have decent sentivity 
etysmile.gif

Anyway, thanks again for this epic review thread!

Dec 14, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #1,520 of 16,931
Quote:
I must say this is one heck of a guide, the effort you have put to make it shows the magnitude of passion you have for music.
smile.gif

Anyways, why haven't you reviewed Head-Direct RE1? Any particular reason?

No particular reason except that I've never been interested enough to go out and buy one. Back when I first reviewed the RE0, the RE1 was actually more expensive and I guess ever since it's just been the one Head-Direct set that got away.

Quote:
Hello, I just wanted to thank you for this absolutely awesome guide.  It has served me well when looking for earphones, and so far hasn't failed me.

I really appreciate the fact that despite your preferences for analytical sound, you still review "fun" earphones and try to judge them from a "fun" earphone lover's perspective.  This takes some work doing, and it's quite impressive.  It got me the TD100-II, which I would have never heard about if it had not been for this site.

Speaking of the Xears headphones, it seems like you're reviewing the Xears bullets (XB120Pro) as well.  Just curious... do you have any initial impressions of them?  I have my own, but I curious whether my ears have decent sentivity 
etysmile.gif

Anyway, thanks again for this epic review thread!

Thanks. Interestingly, based on others' impressions, it seems that there's more of a difference between the TD100-II and the (old) TD100 that I reviewed than Xears will admit to. I've spent a little bit of time with XB120Pro and I think it's a very good earphone for the money but it's not a TD100 replacement. It has a good sense of space and is generally warm and smooth but the notes are a little too soft as it presents them and the sound is almost too 'syrupy'. I don't know what the MSRP is on the XB120 but street price is <$25 which is a truly excellent deal for those who prefer 'smooth and spacious' to 'crisp and tight'.

Dec 14, 2010 at 3:29 PM Post #1,521 of 16,931
When I had the loaner of the XB120Pro I saw on some ebay listing that the MSRP came out to around $10 with shipping about the same  so it was around $20-$25 shipped.

I thought it was a good deal but I hated the J cord and the driver flex.

Dec 14, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #1,522 of 16,931
MSRP is a concept unknown to the Xears people... the prices vary widely.  I mean, the TD100-II is at 20 EUR right now, but it was a 90 EUR for a while before that, and 30 EUR a bit before that.  30 EUR is probably an OK deal, but 90 EUR is too expensive considering better headphones have a 80 USD MSRP  (RE-0, Sunrise X-cape).

It's hard to tell what the XB120Pro MSRP is; I think the highest it went on the xears.com site was 25 EUR.  Probably an OK deal at that price but not earth-shattering.

ljokerl, as far as I know, I'm the only one who had both the TD100-II and the XB120Pro on hand at the same time who posted impressions.  So maybe the TD100-II is similar to the TD100 and my ears are just not sensitive enough 
etysmile.gif
  I'm just a newbie after all and don't have that much experience with IEMs...  And I never heard the original TD100 because its price never went down enough to make it enticing (it was nearly out of stock when I got the TD100-II anyhow) and as a principle I dislike J-cords.  But I'll make an exception when it means paying just 10 EUR + shipping for decent earphones...

Dec 15, 2010 at 11:58 AM Post #1,523 of 16,931

Quote:
MSRP is a concept unknown to the Xears people... the prices vary widely.  I mean, the TD100-II is at 20 EUR right now, but it was a 90 EUR for a while before that, and 30 EUR a bit before that.  30 EUR is probably an OK deal, but 90 EUR is too expensive considering better headphones have a 80 USD MSRP  (RE-0, Sunrise X-cape).

It's hard to tell what the XB120Pro MSRP is; I think the highest it went on the xears.com site was 25 EUR.  Probably an OK deal at that price but not earth-shattering.

ljokerl, as far as I know, I'm the only one who had both the TD100-II and the XB120Pro on hand at the same time who posted impressions.  So maybe the TD100-II is similar to the TD100 and my ears are just not sensitive enough 
etysmile.gif
  I'm just a newbie after all and don't have that much experience with IEMs...  And I never heard the original TD100 because its price never went down enough to make it enticing (it was nearly out of stock when I got the TD100-II anyhow) and as a principle I dislike J-cords.  But I'll make an exception when it means paying just 10 EUR + shipping for decent earphones...

I just take their web price (non-ebay) as the MSRP. I think the XB120Pro was 20EUR a few weeks ago on the site but now I can't see a price.

And no, you aren't the only one with the Xears collection 
tongue.gif
. A member here has the TD100, TD100-II, and XB120Pro. 

Dec 15, 2010 at 1:56 PM Post #1,524 of 16,931
While other IEM prices are stationary, Xears prices are like quotes in the stock market. You buy when the price is low. Then there are always PE investments by E-mailing Thomas
wink.gif

TD100-II does sound different compared to TD100-I to my ears.

TD100-II has relatively lesser bass quantity and begins to dip a bit earlier than the TD100-I. The mids are not as warm as the 100-I. The notes are much thinner and it feels a lot faster. In treble too, while the first version sounds thicker, the newer one sounds thinner and has some sparkle.In general, TD100-II feels much clearer especially in vocals (which are a bit more forward) compared to TD100-I.

The common thing between them is of course the sound stage.

And thankfully, it also loses the J-Cord and that annoying driver flex I get with TD100-I. Overall, I prefer the TD100-II over the TD100-I slightly because it sounds more balanced.

Is this change achievable by tuning the same driver? I don't know.

Dec 15, 2010 at 2:42 PM Post #1,525 of 16,931

Quote:
While other IEM prices are stationary, Xears prices are like quotes in the stock market. You buy when the price is low. Then there are always PE investments by E-mailing Thomas
wink.gif

TD100-II does sound different compared to TD100-I to my ears.

[snip]

And thankfully, it also loses the J-Cord and that annoying driver flex I get with TD100-I. Overall, I prefer the TD100-II over the TD100-I slightly because it sounds more balanced.

Is this change achievable by tuning the same driver? I don't know.

Yeah, I thought I was the only one with all those Xears things, given that the Playaz N1 thread is pretty much dead now.  And be careful with MSRP; prices vary on site as well as ebay, quite drastically so.  Prices are quoted were all from the official site...

OK, so possibly my ears aren't very sensitive.  Case closed 
etysmile.gif

Re: driver flex... I get quite a bit with the TD100-II in the right earphone.  Then again, I get none with the XB120Pro and others report mad driver flex.  And my PB120 (Xears PowerBall) has very pronounced flex.  Go figure.

Dec 16, 2010 at 12:23 AM Post #1,526 of 16,931
I noticed that zero Shure headphones made the review list. While I truly appreciate the effort that has gone into this incredible review, in a few months I figure you will be looking for more to add. So, I just snagged a pair of Shure SE115's off overstock.com for 10.99 (nice huh?) and if you want to borrow them to add to this list, I would be glad to send them out.

Dec 16, 2010 at 12:34 AM Post #1,527 of 16,931
After going through the review of my previous IEM, I cant help thinking why you had so similar opinion as mine?

Like Denon 710, I has certainly no idea why the hype is coming from .............

Good work !!!!

Give me some guidance since I haven't visited here for a pretty long time

Dec 16, 2010 at 2:36 AM Post #1,528 of 16,931
Quote:
I noticed that zero Shure headphones made the review list. While I truly appreciate the effort that has gone into this incredible review, in a few months I figure you will be looking for more to add. So, I just snagged a pair of Shure SE115's off overstock.com for 10.99 (nice huh?) and if you want to borrow them to add to this list, I would be glad to send them out.

That's a pretty amazing price. I've actually heard the SE115 briefly in the past but it didn't really deliver for a $90 earphone. I have little personal interest in reviewing it but I'll be glad to do so for those trying to relate to this thread
redface.gif

Quote:
After going through the review of my previous IEM, I cant help thinking why you had so similar opinion as mine?

Like Denon 710, I has certainly no idea why the hype is coming from .............

Good work !!!!

Give me some guidance since I haven't visited here for a pretty long time

If I remember correctly the C710 was actually cheaper upon release than it is now - it could easily be found in the $80-90 range which is a much better deal than the $130-150 it costs now. That could explain some of the hype. Either way I'm glad you can relate to this thread. 

Dec 17, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #1,530 of 16,931
Added dB Logic EP-100 and Skullcandy FMJ.

wQuote:
I want to thank you for your amazing review.  I recently purchased some Thinksound Rains and your review of them is definitely spot-on!  They're awesome for your orchestral music aficionado.

Thanks and glad you like the Rain 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back