**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Aug 17, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #1,396 of 3,203
I will be ordering a set... maybe today.
DYK if they will build a cable to length with 3 pin XLR?
I will need a second cable.

Oh, and, are the cables easy to change?

Thanks guys

EDIT...
I should have stopped by Mr. Speakers at the LA Meet.... duh

Aug 17, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #1,397 of 3,203
Quote:
I am considering the mojo/gun stack but then at the same time I want tubes and was looking at the 6SE. I wish my wallet supported this hobby but it doesn't in the slightest

Quote:
I am considering the mojo/gun stack but then at the same time I want tubes and was looking at the 6SE. I wish my wallet supported this hobby but it doesn't in the slightest

I had a Lyr / Bifrost (über) for quite some time and the were great.
The I went off the deep end on the 300B.

I love the Gungnir.  I didn't think it would make a difference.  It does.
I'm a valve guy, as such, I don't have a mojo opinion.
Quote:
Well, your beautiful build deserves some playmates. 
wink_face.gif

Thanks  
smile.gif

Aug 17, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #1,398 of 3,203
I had a Lyr / Bifrost (über) for quite some time and the were great.
The I went off the deep end on the 300B.

I love the Gungnir.  I didn't think it would make a difference.  It does.
I'm a valve guy, as such, I don't have a mojo opinion.
Thanks  :smile:

I started reading that link to your amp you gave me but Ive never done anything DIY and don't know how to read a schematic and I'm terrified of getting shocked

Aug 17, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #1,399 of 3,203
Quote:
I started reading that link to your amp you gave me but Ive never done anything DIY and don't know how to read a schematic and I'm terrified of getting shocked

I no how to build "stuff" but I have limited knowledge of electronics.  The BD 300B isn't exactly a "kit".  It's 6 PCB boards and a list of stuff you should buy.
I chose it for the challenge.  I have good intuition when making stuff.

I would say anyone with those abilities should try a kit sometime.   After spending a hour watching the Dave Jones EEVBLOG soldering tutorial you will be able to solder anything.   Teeny tiny components.

If you catch the bug, a Bottlehead Crack is a good place to start. .....  Change that.  There are little widget kits  (Tone generator, etc) that are $30.   Start there.   You'll be surprised what you can do.

Aug 17, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #1,400 of 3,203
I no how to build "stuff" but I have limited knowledge of electronics.  The BD 300B isn't exactly a "kit".  It's 6 PCB boards and a list of stuff you should buy.
I chose it for the challenge.  I have good intuition when making stuff.

I would say anyone with those abilities should try a kit sometime.   After spending a hour watching the Dave Jones EEVBLOG soldering tutorial you will be able to solder anything.   Teeny tiny components.

If you catch the bug, a Bottlehead Crack is a good place to start. .....  Change that.  There are little widget kits  (Tone generator, etc) that are $30.   Start there.   You'll be surprised what you can do.

thanks man I appreciate it! out of curiosity would you be willing to build that amp for people like me that aren't comfortable doing it? just a thought

Aug 17, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #1,401 of 3,203
Quote:
thanks man I appreciate it! out of curiosity would you be willing to build that amp for people like me that aren't comfortable doing it? just a thought

#1 There are many more accomplished builders than me.  I am a hobbyist.
The answer is perhaps.
Why?
Because I love this damn amp so much I'd like others to enjoy it.  Right now I'm on an island with no one to compare "notes".
Tom Christiansen is the designer and he is brilliant.  He's a Sr design engineer at TI and he took 3 year to design and build the DG 300B.  It was designed for speakers and mine is the only built to anyone's knowledge for HPs  Tom gave me all the necessary mods to support my LCD2's as well as my favorite valves.  E88CC's

I would not build one for money.  I do not like that dynamic / karma.
If someone was serious I would insist on "gulp" shipping mine out for an audition first.  That's easier said than done.

Ya, if the stars aligned right, sure, I think I could build a great one again.

Aug 17, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #1,407 of 3,203
So I usually add a qualifier to "works with iPod, iPhone, etc."  I consider it good for light listening, such as while you work or read.  It won't crank it, and it's not idea for "turn out the lights and have a critical listen" but for background to mid-level it works fine for me.   

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Aug 17, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #1,408 of 3,203
#1 There are many more accomplished builders than me.  I am a hobbyist.
The answer is perhaps.
Why?
Because I love this damn amp so much I'd like others to enjoy it.  Right now I'm on an island with no one to compare "notes".
Tom Christiansen is the designer and he is brilliant.  He's a Sr design engineer at TI and he took 3 year to design and build the DG 300B.  It was designed for speakers and mine is the only built to anyone's knowledge for HPs  Tom gave me all the necessary mods to support my LCD2's as well as my favorite valves.  E88CC's

I would not build one for money.  I do not like that dynamic / karma.
If someone was serious I would insist on "gulp" shipping mine out for an audition first.  That's easier said than done.

Ya, if the stars aligned right, sure, I think I could build a great one again.

^^And this gentleman is what headfi is really all about.

Aug 17, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #1,409 of 3,203
Quote:
So I usually add a qualifier to "works with iPod, iPhone, etc."  I consider it good for light listening, such as while you work or read.  It won't crank it, and it's not idea for "turn out the lights and have a critical listen" but for background to mid-level it works fine for me.   

That will do the trick.

I got the quote from Dan for the cables.
Hoping I can get a longer XLR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back