**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jul 26, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #902 of 3,203
Quote:
Why is the lcd3 killing you....weight, clamp or price? 
size]

All 3 LOL.

Jul 26, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #905 of 3,203
Quote:
The MDs sound nice on the soloist. I've only heard the LCD3 briefly. I don't think a comparison to a $2000 headphone is fair. Then again, I'm not lusting after the LCD3... The HE6, "there is lust in my heart".

I was torn between the two and made my decision that the LCD-3 is next for me.  I have never heard either
frown.gif

Jul 26, 2013 at 7:58 PM Post #906 of 3,203
Mine arrived last week. 3.0 versions, lightly used.

Fcuk me sideways. These really are rather good. I'm not even going to go much further than that.

Jul 26, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #908 of 3,203
Yup, that's how intense these are :')

Jul 26, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #910 of 3,203
Its either a new amp/DAC or these..

Jul 26, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #911 of 3,203
Having inherited ASR's mad dogs, I kinda feel obliged to post in here. I've been using the akg k240s for almost a year and a half now and when I got these in the mail today, I immediately opened up the box and gave em a run (I mean, who wouldn't 
tongue_smile.gif
) Needless to say, it was everything I had hoped it would be - no regrets for getting a pair. Nothing bad to say about these except the fact that it makes me want to fork out some more money and buy a vintage amp..

An amazing pair of headphones!
for the price it is, it's most definitely worth it.

Jul 26, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #913 of 3,203
is there any impression on the "balanced" maddog? vs the standard...

Jul 27, 2013 at 1:51 AM Post #915 of 3,203
After chasing the perfect hp amp for two years, I went to the meet in Atlanta where I got to sample lots of gear in the course of an afternoon. I heard lot's of amps that easily bested the lyr, which at the time was end game for me (don't get me wrong, I love the lyr still). But while those amps had all the power and refinement that I'd always looked for, bottom line they weren't in my budget. Not even close to what I was able to afford.

Then I noticed that several guys were huddled around a vintage receiver/amp someone had brought. I was curious and went over and talked with Michael about his vintage amp. He talked to me about the specs and features and I was even more curious about what the "old steel beauty" was capable of. I asked if I could try my Maddog with the Sansui receiver. He obliged. I couldn't believe the sound that came out of the maddogs. How was it possible that this 35 year old receiver could make the maddogs sound better than my prized lyr with cherry picked tubes. But yet, it did. I ran back to my bag to grab my hd650's. I asked Michael if the Sansui would be too much power for my 650's. "Oh not all, just hit the -20db button and you'll be all set," he says. I got the same improvement with the 650. 

I knew then that I must have myself one of these aged beast. I found the very same Sansui 9090 I listened to at the meet just 3.5 hours from my home in Atlanta. So I drove 7+ hours in the pouring rain to some dudes double wide in Sevierville TN. After I offered to fix his ailing PC as part of a barter, I walked out of there with one of the best hp amps I'd ever heard for $150. 
size]

I felt like I'd just won the lottery. 

(Sansui top)

This prompted me to do some research into vintage receivers. I now have a Sansui 5000A on the way (looked to be in great condition). lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back