**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Mar 31, 2014 at 3:06 AM Post #2,582 of 3,203
Mad Dogs Pros arrived :)

Now to solder the cable :)

Mar 31, 2014 at 6:07 AM Post #2,583 of 3,203
Hey all, currently running the following setups (via a switch box):
Xonar DX > HP out > Vali > MD 3.2
iPod Classic LOD > Vali> MD 3.2
Would a Bifrost Uber be a good upgrade, or a waste of time? Is the MD 3.2 resolving enough to hear the difference?

Mar 31, 2014 at 7:32 AM Post #2,584 of 3,203
I probably wouldn't worry about a switch box if I were you, but I can be paranoid about extra stuff in my chain. The Bifrost Uber would be an excellent upgrade (Bifrost and Gungnir are very well-rounded products), though don't always expect huge differences. DAC differences can be subtle. The MD3.2 is good enough to detect some DAC differences. Schiit's USB implementation is very good as well, and I would definitely recommend getting that if you weren't already planning on it.

Mar 31, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #2,585 of 3,203
  I probably wouldn't worry about a switch box if I were you, but I can be paranoid about extra stuff in my chain. The Bifrost Uber would be an excellent upgrade (Bifrost and Gungnir are very well-rounded products), though don't always expect huge differences. DAC differences can be subtle. The MD3.2 is good enough to detect some DAC differences. Schiit's USB implementation is very good as well, and I would definitely recommend getting that if you weren't already planning on it.

Nah I'm not worried about the switch box. But really thinking hard about blowing $500 on "subtle differences".

Mar 31, 2014 at 10:16 PM Post #2,586 of 3,203
  Darn it, I thought the discount on the upgrade to Pro was good through the end of the month :frowning2:

Although the price now makes it even less enticing, I'm not getting a feel for just how much better the Pro sounds over the 3.2 that I've got. I know it's subjective and we're getting into diminishing returns territory, but I'm teetering on whether or not to send mine in for an upgrade. Discounting the cost of the cable and shipping, is the upgrade worth another $100 if I'm otherwise very happy with my 3.2s? The wider soundstage is what would sell me, if anything.

My impression is that the soundstage is deeper and more precise, not wider... perhaps Grizzly can comment (since he did a direct comparison) ?

Mar 31, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #2,587 of 3,203
  Mad Dogs Pros arrived :)

Now to solder the cable :)

So I failed. Had to swallow my pride and order the cable. Another 2 weeks worth of waiting before I can even listen to my new headphones lol.

#sadpanda

Mar 31, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #2,588 of 3,203
My impression is that the soundstage is deeper and more precise, not wider... perhaps Grizzly can comment (since he did a direct comparison) ?

Personally I prefer depth sometimes more than width the biggest dif I noticed was depth. I could have been so focused on it that I ignored width cause I can't rem and only have the pro now.

Mar 31, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #2,589 of 3,203
My 1 year old Mad Dogs returned from their two week California vacation today! While they were out there they got all cleaned up, got a new cable and picked up a nice new label. Most importantly, they got a sound upgrade. I've only had a chance to listen to them for about 30 minutes but so far I'm very happy!

Not having the Mad Dogs to compare them to directly I lined up a couple of songs that I know well to listen to quite frequently. One of the first songs I listened to was "Within You Without You" from Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band. There's a 4-5 second section from 3:42 to 3:46 in the song where there is a very faint sound (if you've heard it you'll know what it is) that seems to be apparent only on setups that are fairly revealing. The Mad Dog Pro's passed the test.

I have a lot of listening to do yet but in general I have noticed more (solid, not sloppy) bass with a fairly open sound-stage and good placement of the instruments. The headphones are at least as reveling as the Mad Dogs and seem to need a little power to really come alive. The Schiit Magni does a great job with them. 

Bottom line: The Mad Dog Pros are a worthy purchase/upgrade if you want a closed-back headphone with a good sound-stage and bit of a bass emphasis but still solidly in audiophile territory. I'm glad I got the update!

Here's a photo of my MDP's hanging out in their new home:

Mar 31, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #2,590 of 3,203
Personally I prefer depth sometimes more than width the biggest dif I noticed was depth. I could have been so focused on it that I ignored width cause I can't rem and only have the pro now.

I wonder what it is to upgrade from a pro to an AD. I think I would do it if the bass was as clear, I don't expect the same impact. Prob the same price as it is for the universal to Ad. Just thinking out loud cause it's prob listed.

Mar 31, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #2,592 of 3,203
The md plus he4 is a great match as well!

Apr 2, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #2,593 of 3,203
I've been considering buying the Mad Dogs for some time, and the appearance of the Mad Dog Pro seems to have convinced me. I was super impressed with the Mad Dog that I heard... real eye-opener! 

Just curious regarding the Mad Dog Pro -- does it come with the Alpha leather pads and comfort strap by default? This info probably is somewhere, but I couldn't find it. Being somewhat far from the US, shipping is killer. I have to get it right first time 
normal_smile .gif

Apr 2, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #2,594 of 3,203
  I've been considering buying the Mad Dogs for some time, and the appearance of the Mad Dog Pro seems to have convinced me. I was super impressed with the Mad Dog that I heard... real eye-opener! 

Just curious regarding the Mad Dog Pro -- does it come with the Alpha leather pads and comfort strap by default? This info probably is somewhere, but I couldn't find it. Being somewhat far from the US, shipping is killer. I have to get it right first time 
normal_smile .gif

Yes it does.  Alpha Dogs, Mad Dogs and Mad Dog Pro all have the comfort strap and alpha pads out of the box.  With the MDP and AD, you just need to select the kind of cable you want included with your order.

Apr 2, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #2,595 of 3,203
Fantastic! Thanks for the input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back