MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Oct 10, 2018 at 3:27 PM Post #5,221 of 5,796
Untitled.jpg

Located this attached frequency response curve from the RMAF video posted by Jude. 1.1 represents a nice improvement for the ECF, notably cleaning up the drop around 180 Hz.

I'm still rolling with the white pad post 1.1 update. As someone previously mentioned, it restores the warmth of the classic Flow sound signature post update, but still preserves the newly implemented transparency. It really does feel like a veil was lifted from the sound.

Oct 10, 2018 at 8:33 PM Post #5,222 of 5,796

Located this attached frequency response curve from the RMAF video posted by Jude. 1.1 represents a nice improvement for the ECF, notably cleaning up the drop around 180 Hz.

I'm still rolling with the white pad post 1.1 update. As someone previously mentioned, it restores the warmth of the classic Flow sound signature post update, but still preserves the newly implemented transparency. It really does feel like a veil was lifted from the sound.

So is there less bass in the 1.1? Feel like I should buy the cx if I want the most or look for a post 1,1 flow

Oct 10, 2018 at 8:47 PM Post #5,223 of 5,796
The dip in the ETHER C traded more bass for a bit of a hole in the upper bass. This reduces the harmonics to the bass, which IMHO gives a lot of life to the bass, plus it's more coherent sounding so the bass sounds more convincing.

Happily, if you want the increased soundstage but prefer the original bass you can remove the bass vent patch and just use the new driver damping to increase soundstage and clarity. The upgrade is reversible and for the closed there are two parts to it; you can use either or both.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Oct 11, 2018 at 2:44 PM Post #5,226 of 5,796
Sure.

Black foam = lightest damping, smooths any standing waves that may develop for some users in the 4.5-6K range and/or 9-12K. Whether or not you get this is ofter ear-shape dependent. Gives a nice smooth tone to highs.
Black felt = medium damping, 1-2 dB above 3 KHz.
White felt = more damping, 2-3 dB above 800 Hz.

These are rough descriptions. On bright systems I use white felt, such as a lot of portable gear, on my tube gear black foam.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Oct 11, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #5,229 of 5,796
Sure.

Black foam = lightest damping, smooths any standing waves that may develop for some users in the 4.5-6K range and/or 9-12K. Whether or not you get this is ofter ear-shape dependent. Gives a nice smooth tone to highs.
Black felt = medium damping, 1-2 dB above 3 KHz.
White felt = more damping, 2-3 dB above 800 Hz.

These are rough descriptions. On bright systems I use white felt, such as a lot of portable gear, on my tube gear black foam.
So... it's a little different to the Voce damper's.
What is the new stock efo 1.1?, that new black felt+black foam ?

---

Someone has listened the dragon inspire IHA-1 with ether flow?

Ty

Oct 12, 2018 at 2:04 AM Post #5,230 of 5,796
Yes, the VOCE pads are firmer. Some of the original pads were variable in firmness. If they're not holding up well email a photo to info@mrspeakers.com and we'll treat that as a warranty replacement.

Is that for Voce only or for Flows as well?

Oct 12, 2018 at 11:19 AM Post #5,231 of 5,796
A few questions for MrSpeakers if that's okay - I've just ordered the Ether C Flow upgrade from the UK using the cheapest mail option - any idea how long that will take? Also I'm a bit scared about removing/replacing the pads - is it straightforward as the instructions seem quite basic. It's the replacing that I'm more concerned with as it looks a tight fit. Finally I'm using an AK portable with a Hugo2 - I will experiment, but am I right in saying the white felt is a good way to go with this combo?

Oct 12, 2018 at 11:32 AM Post #5,232 of 5,796
Having installed the upgrade yesterday, I'm impressed so far. It seems to achieve every claim advertised. The new tuning pad options are excellent. The black foam really dials in my system. For $30, it's a no brainer.

If Mr. Speakers wants to improve brand loyalty, this is a superb way. I first bought the Ether Cs in 2016. Given the dramatically improved frequency response, the upgrade to Flow was money well spent. It fixed my biggest issue with the original Cs. And now, two and a half years after buying the Ether Cs, another substantive upgrade is offered for just $30.

This level of long term support takes a lot of the gamble out of an expensive head phone purchase. It has me seriously considering the Ether 2s, which I anticipate also receiving upgrades over the next few years.

Oct 12, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #5,233 of 5,796
QP1R white felt ?

This is personal. I do find the DAC in the QP1 to have a bit of upper mid sharpness the WF smooths over.

Is that for Voce only or for Flows as well?

It was corrected before VOCEs shipped but that said if anyone ever has a pad issue contact us for support!

A few questions for MrSpeakers if that's okay - I've just ordered the Ether C Flow upgrade from the UK using the cheapest mail option - any idea how long that will take? Also I'm a bit scared about removing/replacing the pads - is it straightforward as the instructions seem quite basic. It's the replacing that I'm more concerned with as it looks a tight fit. Finally I'm using an AK portable with a Hugo2 - I will experiment, but am I right in saying the white felt is a good way to go with this combo?

Snail mail takes 2-3 weeks. Removing the pads is pretty simple, to my knowledge nobody has damaged a pad in the process. It's a bit harder to put them back on the first time you try, the "secret" is simply to use one hand to hold the headphone by holding the pad in place as you attach it to the headphone by pinching it. I posted a video on putting pads on the Alpha pads on youtube, the process is exactly the same to remove and install on any of our ETHER headphones...

Oct 12, 2018 at 1:29 PM Post #5,234 of 5,796
I just got the Ether Flow 1.1 upgrade. So far Im liking the paper decal on its own without any damping. Personal preference of having more clarity and little bit more bass.

Just perfect. Perfect!

Thanks @mrspeakers !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back