MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Jul 14, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #17 of 5,796
  Brilliant! Is the light weight still the same when more material was used?

The waveguides are part of the magnet structure and therefore don't effect the mass of the diaphragm. As to the headphones themselves, they don't feel noticeably heavier though they must be, I would guess they add less than an ounce.

Jul 14, 2016 at 3:33 PM Post #18 of 5,796

The waveguides are part of the magnet structure and therefore don't effect the mass of the diaphragm. As to the headphones themselves, they don't feel noticeably heavier though they must be, I would guess they add less than an ounce.

There is an incremental increase in weight, on the order of 15grams. 

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jul 14, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #20 of 5,796
Mmm...as an existing Ether and Ether C owner, I await more details re:upgrade path to the Flow! Excited. Very very excited.

Upgrade details will follow.  I do want to set the table that this is not a trivial upgrade.  It's a complete driver unit replacement and new ear cups for C or grills for ETHER.  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Jul 14, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #22 of 5,796
  Spoiler alert:  they're not muddy.  

LOL!  
biggrin.gif

There is an incremental increase in weight, on the order of 15grams. 

...which is still less than the weight of a human hand.  
wink.gif

Jul 14, 2016 at 3:42 PM Post #23 of 5,796
  Both the Ether Flow and Ether C Flow are big steps up from the previous iterations.  The performance for the price is unprecedented.  Dan could have charged much more for these headphones but he's actively trying to buck the trend of charging more just because he can.  All of his headphones are priced as a function of cost, not performance.  Kudos to Dan for taking a stand on that! 

This is great news! I'm looking forward to hearing these. Big thanks to the MrSpeakers team for keeping up the good work and keeping the prices within reason. (The current Ether is not cheap, but it's really good.)

Jul 14, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #24 of 5,796
Especially interested in the Ether C Flow, so everything is the same like Ether C, design, cable connections etc. apart from the added 15 gr and a different  magnet structure?
Anyway I trust Dan's ears and they sound like a real winner for closed headphones. I am not sure if the soundstage got wider, as was already quite wide for a full closed headphones, but I am sure they will have a much faster transient sound.
Planar magnetic headphones watch your backs
wink.gif

Jul 14, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #25 of 5,796
  Especially interested in the Ether C Flow, so everything is the same like Ether C, design, cable connections etc. apart from the added 15 gr and a different  magnet structure?
Anyway I trust Dan's ears and they sound like a real winner for closed headphones. I am not sure if the soundstage got wider, as was already quite wide for a full closed headphones, but I am sure they will have a much faster transient sound.
Planar magnetic headphones watch your backs
wink.gif

I believe he's changing the pattern of the carbon fiber on the Flow version so it looks different from the 1.1.

Jul 14, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #26 of 5,796
Mmm......estimated upgrade build time???? Do I send back through dealer or direct to you? Or is it a DIY kit? Will await more details. Tia.

Details will be forthcoming.  I'll guesstimate the program will be announced within two weeks.  

Jul 14, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #29 of 5,796
wink.gif

Probably not the best comparator, unless members here have experience of lifting disconnected hands.....in which case.....I'm off......

This was a reference to his review of the original Ether over on guru.

"...So in this example, a hand weighs about 498.04 grams. At 370 grams, the ETHER is only 3/4 of the weight of that hand. This means that if we got into an argument about whether the HD 650 is veiled or not, and I were to cut off your hand in anger, and throw it at you with the same amount of force that I throw an ETHER at you, your hand would (theoretically) hurt more. That’s how light the ETHER is!"

EDIT - 
ph34r.gif

Jul 14, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #30 of 5,796
wink.gif

Probably not the best comparator, unless members here have experience of lifting disconnected hands.....in which case.....I'm off......

Lol, that's a reference to something I wrote when I reviewed the original ETHER:

"The ETHER is ridiculously comfortable due to its absurdly low weight and nearly non-existent clamping force. In fact, it’s just about the most comfortable circumaural headphone I’ve ever worn… with the possible exceptions of a Sennheiser HD 800 or a Denon AH-D7000.

At only 370 grams, the ETHER weighs in as one of the lightest top-of-the-line headphones I’ve ever used – and it’s definitely the lightest full-sized planar magnetic headphone I’ve ever used. Let’s take a moment to reflect on its weight (or lack thereof). 370 grams. What is that in practical terms?

The mean weight for a 40-year old white male is approximately 180 pounds, or 81,646.56 grams. The average human hand, for males, is about 0.61% of that man’s total weight. So in this example, a hand weighs about 498.04 grams. At 370 grams, the ETHER is only 3/4 of the weight of that hand. This means that if we got into an argument about whether the HD 650 is veiled or not, and I were to cut off your hand in anger, and throw it at you with the same amount of force that I throw an ETHER at you, your hand would (theoretically) hurt more. That’s how light the ETHER is!"

Original ETHER review at:  http://headphone.guru/mrspeakerss-ether-part-ii-of-ii/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back