MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
Jul 20, 2016 at 9:19 PM Post #4,442 of 4,813
  Yeah as soon as I feel like wasting another 200 bucks on these.... let's assume I get there - what cable brands do you recommend? 

There's no cable in the world that will increase bass by audible levels... Pads alter the sound WAY more drastically and also are cheaper.

Jul 20, 2016 at 9:26 PM Post #4,446 of 4,813
I don't think your going to get the bass you want from these cans. You have a preference for more bass than I think they can provide. Pads could help a bit and not sure about cables. You don't hear the sub bass on these?

Jul 20, 2016 at 9:34 PM Post #4,448 of 4,813
I don't think your going to get the bass you want from these cans. You have a preference for more bass than I think they can provide. Pads could help a bit and not sure about cables. You don't hear the sub bass on these?

I am kinda in agreement with buke9 here.. These are more neutral leaning headphones and a little light on the low end from neutral IMHO (not HD800 light though).. If you are using the DX80 you also have no option for a parametric EQ to even help.. Even after that bump they are no bass monsters.. You might want to check out something like the th-900’s which are in the same price range as the Ethers. 

Jul 20, 2016 at 9:37 PM Post #4,449 of 4,813

I am kinda in agreement with buke9 here.. These are more neutral leaning headphones and a little light on the low end from neutral IMHO (not HD800 light though).. If you are using the DX80 you also have no option for a parametric EQ to even help.. Even after that bump they are no bass monsters.. You might want to check out something like the th-900’s which are in the same price range as the Ethers. 

Oh wow. the Pads off the Mad Dogs helps! -significantly . checking out a few tracks now but initial response is... = much better!   I'm using the a JDS C5D into an ALO Audio Continental at the moment. Lows are indeed weak for the price but the pads helped. - I hope some one else benefits from these posts. Thanks.. I will likely sell these...they just aren't not right for me. way too upfront and missing critical lows in my opinion. Understand I'm just jumping in after buying them and not going through the hype so it's just my raw opinion/feedback after they sat and burned in. 

Jul 20, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #4,452 of 4,813
No headphone is for everyone. I think he needs to look elsewhere for something else . You are not going to get more bass out of them even with tunning pads that he said he tried. Just move along then they aren't for you.

Jul 20, 2016 at 9:47 PM Post #4,454 of 4,813
I know that everyone hears things differently and has different tastes, but I really personally can't imagine how much bass one would need to have if the C's are thought by some to have "no bass"? So count me in to find out what headphones would provide the desired levels of lows. Not being critical, just highly curious. I own both the C's and also the LCD-3's (can't say the big Audeze's are often called bass-light IME) and love the lows on both. The C's are not overpowering, but to my ear are highly resolving and musical, especially for a closed HP. 

Maybe it's sub-bass people are talking about?

Thinking back on it one of the only HP's I've ever had really "rattle my head" so to speak due to the levels of bass (outside of the Audeze LCD-X's) were the FAD Sonorous X's. That was some impressive bass IMHO, but also come with a ~$5K price-tag.

Cheers and happy listening to all 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back