MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
Aug 30, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #346 of 4,813
this message is for dan(Mr Speakers), i most certainly will purchase your Ether C headphones in october release but would like to know if you will have them in the near future with red ear cups option as the alpha prime/alpha dogs?  i already have the alpha primes and would like to keep my mr speakers headphones collection the same color. also, does the ear pads that is being sold with the alpha prime be refitted to the Ether C?
i would certainly order a pair to refit to the Ether C(love the seal). thanks for the info dan and keep up the great headphones works. thanks dan.:punch::thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Aug 31, 2015 at 4:26 AM Post #347 of 4,813
this message is for dan(Mr Speakers), i most certainly will purchase your Ether C headphones in october release but would like to know if you will have them in the near future with red ear cups option as the alpha prime/alpha dogs?  i already have the alpha primes and would like to keep my mr speakers headphones collection the same color. also, does the ear pads that is being sold with the alpha prime be refitted to the Ether C?
i would certainly order a pair to refit to the Ether C(love the seal). thanks for the info dan and keep up the great headphones works. thanks dan.:punch::thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hi and thanks for the kind note! We tried a red weave in the carbon and it came out with an uneven finish, it has to do with the shape of the part, so there won't be red.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Aug 31, 2015 at 8:15 AM Post #348 of 4,813
Hi and thanks for the kind note! We tried a red weave in the carbon and it came out with an uneven finish, it has to do with the shape of the part, so there won't be red.

Personally I love the ETHER-C carbon fibre cups the way they are but have you considered a red tinted lacquer? This would be much easier to get an even colour on the cups and could be an interesting option at checkout.

Aug 31, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #349 of 4,813

That's too bad, but good to know.  Thanks for the info Dan.

Aug 31, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #350 of 4,813
Hi Dan, how's the leakage on these compared to the Alpha Dogs and Primes? If it's gotten better these are automatically my go-to portable cans. 

Aug 31, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #351 of 4,813
  Hi Dan, how's the leakage on these compared to the Alpha Dogs and Primes? If it's gotten better these are automatically my go-to portable cans. 

? Those two are already the best at leakage/isolation, no need to get better. I only hope the C is as good.

Aug 31, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #352 of 4,813
  ? Those two are already the best at leakage/isolation, no need to get better. I only hope the C is as good.

Wasn't saying the Alpha's had bad leakage. I heard the Ether C's at Can Jam London but didn't get a chance to check the leakage. 

Aug 31, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #353 of 4,813
We don't have a system to measure this empirically, so for now my answer is "almost as good" until Innerfidelity can measure it. I've used them on planes very successfully.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Aug 31, 2015 at 8:18 PM Post #354 of 4,813
Some knobhead over at InnerFidelity posted this about the Ether C..

"To my ears, the Ether C presented a more 'polite' and 'even' sound that could conversely be called dynamically compressed. Using a reference track, I need my musical instruments to pop dynamically and with tonal distinction. There is simply less contrast between low end and top end tone and dynamics versus both the Ether open and HD800. While some might prefer the aforementioned Ether C's even signature more, I personally do not. Live music simply has a higher contrast ratio than what the Ether C is delivering to my ears. What it delivered for me was something more akin to an audio presentation versus live music"

Well, that's what it is... an audio presentation, unless you somehow managed to get a live concert to run through the headphones.

Aug 31, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #355 of 4,813
  Some knobhead over at InnerFidelity posted this about the Ether C..

"To my ears, the Ether C presented a more 'polite' and 'even' sound that could conversely be called dynamically compressed. Using a reference track, I need my musical instruments to pop dynamically and with tonal distinction. There is simply less contrast between low end and top end tone and dynamics versus both the Ether open and HD800. While some might prefer the aforementioned Ether C's even signature more, I personally do not. Live music simply has a higher contrast ratio than what the Ether C is delivering to my ears. What it delivered for me was something more akin to an audio presentation versus live music"

Well, that's what it is... an audio presentation, unless you somehow managed to get a live concert to run through the headphones.

Aug 31, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #356 of 4,813
That person volunteered to do the post while Tyll is recovering.   It's just one persons opinion.  They're entitled to it whether we agree with it or not.  I haven't heard the ETHER C so I can't agree or disagree with his opinion.

Aug 31, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #357 of 4,813
The person filling in for Tyl was Anaxilus, the HD800 Mod Guy. He does know a thing or two about headphones, no need to disparage him for expressing his thoughts.

Aug 31, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #358 of 4,813
The person filling in for Tyl was Anaxilus, the HD800 Mod Guy. He does know a thing or two about headphones, no need to disparage him for expressing his thoughts.

Mike knows his stuff. We do not always hear things the same way but that is OK. I respect his opinions about gear.

Sep 1, 2015 at 12:47 AM Post #359 of 4,813
I've compared notes with Anax as well.  He likes the HD800 at least as much as I don't like it.  And it seems he dislikes the Ether at least as much as I like it, which I recall from our conversation at the SF Bay area mini meet at Wikia.  I also got to hear his modded HD800.  This was the first time I got past wanting to rip them off my head, and got to finally respect what that driver can do with a bit of taming of the shrew shrill.  Anax is a good guy with good ears.  He listens differently than I do, for different things.  I listen to relax and enjoy and still hear the details and depth of the music.  I think Anaxilus tends to listen to deconstruct systems and music to their component parts - at least that is the impression I got from our short meeting.  Different tastes, purposes and needs in headphones.  And different human head and ear systems.  Luckily, there are also lots of different excellent headphones out there for the bunch of us!

Sep 1, 2015 at 2:11 AM Post #360 of 4,813
There were definitely some parts of his write up that varied DRASTICALLY from what I heard.  I are confused.  
confused.gif

Guess we'll have to wait for more folks' impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back