MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread
Nov 4, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #151 of 2,891
  Just a note to encourage owners to try the tuning dots.  It's a very easy way to "roll" your headphone to get the best synergy with your gear and ear, and it's easy to try.

My experience is there's a clear difference created by the interaction between DACs, amps, cables and headphones and the dots can really make a material change by optimizing synergy with your system. Too bright, add 1 or 2 dots, too dark, take them out.  

As a sonic benchmark, I am tuning Alpha Primes using a Cavalli Liquid Crimson with a Schitt Gungnir DAC.  It's not a bright setup, very neutral to possibly a little dark, and most headphones are coming out with 0 or 1 dot per side. 

While a number of our customers have summit-gear many others have portable systems or simply brighter gear, so spending a little time to optimize may really pay off in optimizing your system.  

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact me.  

Ah.  Now I know my endgame set-up.  And I'm not kidding- I've had both of these on my radar.  Well, maybe the Schiit Yggy instead of the Gungnir.

Nov 5, 2014 at 4:51 AM Post #157 of 2,891
I'm not aware of a UK distributor or retailer for these...?  I'd love to see highendheadphones.co.uk as stockists as they seem to offer excellent demo facilities. Although, perhaps for a low volume headphone like the AP, having demo units isn't feasible.  Still, it's good to see that the EU price from MrSpeakers-Europe is comparable to the US price..good stuff.  This is not always the case (particularly, in my experience, for the UK).

Nov 5, 2014 at 5:11 AM Post #158 of 2,891
I'm not aware of a UK distributor or retailer for these...?  I'd love to see highendheadphones.co.uk as stockists as they seem to offer excellent demo facilities. Although, perhaps for a low volume headphone like the AP, having demo units isn't feasible.  Still, it's good to see that the EU price from MrSpeakers-Europe is comparable to the US price..good stuff.  This is not always the case (particularly, in my experience, for the UK).

The UK dealer is Electromod. He doesn't update his site that often so I was just wondering if Dan knew whether he had any stock. I know the standard Alphas cost £520 which is rather a lot given the exchange rate, so I'm wondering if buying from the mainland would be a more cost-effective option.

Nov 5, 2014 at 6:34 AM Post #159 of 2,891
The UK dealer is Electromod. He doesn't update his site that often so I was just wondering if Dan knew whether he had any stock. I know the standard Alphas cost £520 which is rather a lot given the exchange rate, so I'm wondering if buying from the mainland would be a more cost-effective option.

Thanks Tony.  If the Alphas are £520 then I fear the Primes could be in the region of £700 - £800. At least we have the EU option...well, until our esteemed leader decides to leave the EU of course 
rolleyes.gif

Nov 5, 2014 at 6:54 AM Post #160 of 2,891
Thanks Tony.  If the Alphas are £520 then I fear the Primes could be in the region of £700 - £800. At least we have the EU option...well, until our esteemed leader decides to leave the EU of course :rolleyes: .

I ordered my Alphas from Dan and they came to £480 after import fees. I fear the Primes, when they finally make it over here, will cost even more than your estimate. I'm thinking somewhere in the region of £850 - though I hope I'm wrong.

Nov 6, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #161 of 2,891
The eagle has landed!  Time to get some listening in while I work today.

Nov 7, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #162 of 2,891

can't find mr speakers product on their website anymore. 

but typical UK business model... 599 USD turns in 520GBP....  even import duty and VAT is around 20 odd %, then shipping cant possibly cost that much....  

then they will go on about all these warranty, local shop bah bah bah...

my guess is alpha prime probably 950....

at some point, it will be cheaper to fly to US, buy it there then fly back... abit like those onkyo AV amp.... in UK is £2000, but in far east, they are throwing them out around 1k.... 

Nov 7, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #163 of 2,891
can't find mr speakers product on their website anymore. 

but typical UK business model... 599 USD turns in 520GBP....  even import duty and VAT is around 20 odd %, then shipping cant possibly cost that much....  

then they will go on about all these warranty, local shop bah bah bah...

my guess is alpha prime probably 950....

at some point, it will be cheaper to fly to US, buy it there then fly back... abit like those onkyo AV amp.... in UK is £2000, but in far east, they are throwing them out around 1k.... 

You're right. They seem to have stopped selling them.

I don't think they'll ever get as high as £950 because no one in their right mind would pay it. Importing them from the States would come to approximately £750.

Nov 7, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #164 of 2,891
guys....

http://www.mrspeakers-europe.com/index.php/producten/headphones.html

850€/667GBP already in europe

Nov 7, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #165 of 2,891
Dan sent out a e-mail, I can now send in my Alpha Dogs to be modified/ upgraded. Looks like my Beyerdynamic Dt 880, 600 ohm headphones will have to keep me company, till my prime's come back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back