MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Feb 21, 2014 at 2:47 AM Post #5,896 of 9,071
Count me in for sure!!!

Feb 21, 2014 at 2:57 AM Post #5,897 of 9,071
I took some photos of the modifications in case anyone would be interested in them in the future.

The overall package:

The felt discs are installed in the earpad:

The adhesive side of the "dot":
* you can see some of the 3D-printed parts in white; pretty neat I think

The "dot" installed on the Alpha Dog:

Feb 21, 2014 at 3:29 AM Post #5,898 of 9,071
Ah, very nice. I'll be sure to give them a good listen!

Feb 21, 2014 at 3:40 AM Post #5,899 of 9,071
Wow. AD's are now an upgradable headphone. Incredible
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 21, 2014 at 3:50 AM Post #5,900 of 9,071
  A little fine-tuning has been done on the Alphas.  

A few owners found the treble to be a little peaky.  While most owners and reviewers seemed very happy, I always listen to positive and negative feedback to try to do better.  I started working on an ear-side adjustment to tame the treble, but I thought it might be both fun and productive to bring someone from the community to work on this as well.  

With his deep roots in the T50 tuning, BlueMonkeyFlyer seemed a good fellow to contact, and he kindly agreed to take a look.  Fortunately, he had done tests earlier on something directly related to our needs and had an insight to create a tuning square, which we'll call the BMD (BlueMonkeyDot).  The BMD started shipping on Alphas shipped starting Feb 10.  A big thanks to BMF for his support on this!

Many people like their Alpha Dogs as is, so it's important to remember that due to ear shape, hearing, music choice and equipment not everyone will feel the treble needs adjustment at all.  But if you do own a set and want to smooth or step down the treble, we will have an "Alpha Dog Obedience Kit" up on our website for $14.99 plus shipping (this just covers our cost).  

The kit will include 4 dots, allowing 1 or 2 to be applied to each side of the headphone.  It will also include two felt tuning discs to insert under the Alpha Pads for those who prefer a slightly darker sound.  The Obedience Kit will be available on our website at the end of next week.  Sonically, you should expect:

1) Smoother treble

2) Somewhat larger soundstage

3) A bit more bass punch

4) Improved "black space"

It's a no-tools, 3 minute upgrade, and it's fully reversible if you don't prefer the sound.  We'll post a YoutTube video to show how easy the tuning is early next week.  

A big thanks to BMF!  

P.S. MiceBlue got a preview set of the adjustments, and perhaps can share his experience.  

how do i order this from the website? am going to purchase the alpha dog today.. 

thanks!

Feb 21, 2014 at 5:25 AM Post #5,903 of 9,071
I remember waiting on purpose before putting myself into the upgrade list. Now I think that might have been a mistake. Underestimated the huge demand. 

Feb 21, 2014 at 6:57 AM Post #5,904 of 9,071
Interesting upgrade.  I tend to cut the treble a bit in JRiver, so this might be an even better solution!

Feb 21, 2014 at 8:50 AM Post #5,905 of 9,071
Hey guys, don't forget to vote for Mr. Speakers for the fedex grant. It's linked on the front page of headfi. Just 150 more to get 1000!!

Feb 21, 2014 at 9:01 AM Post #5,907 of 9,071
"Alpha Dog Obedience Kit" seems a bit of a mouthful to me though. I was thinking it would be something along the lines of a "Dog Biscuit" since the felt discs reminded me of biscuits for some reason, hahaha.

Nice mod, and why not just call the series "Dog Treats" to include any mods or accessories related to both the Mad Dog and Alpha Dog?

Feb 21, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #5,908 of 9,071
how do i order this from the website? am going to purchase the alpha dog today.. 

thanks!

All phones now have one or two. We tune to a specific sound, some phones like a little more dot than others.

The kit will be available to order in a week, so it's less likely to be needed on a new phone. I would order the phone and then the kit if you feel any adjustment is desirable. Wouldn't want you to waste your $.

Dan

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 21, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #5,909 of 9,071
I wish I had an AD to test out the Obedience kit. I love the AD as is, but I do like some extra bass and warmth from time to time...

Feb 21, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #5,910 of 9,071
I'm not touching mine.  I like them just the way they are.  I'm not sure how you could shelve the treble and increase the sound stage at the same time.

However, I really trust BMF - he's been at this a long time. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back