MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Jan 23, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #5,281 of 9,071
  ^^ +1 I didn't take the comment as derogatory. 

I didn't take it as derogatory, it took it as confused and inarticulate.

Here is the whole quote:

As much as I liked the Mad Dog, they look and feel like a modified headphone. The Alpha dog, on the other hand, does not, but the big question is: Does the sound quality stand up to it's looks.

The blog, on the whole, has the sort of styling that makes you think that there is something significant going on.  Whereas, the Head-Fi member reviews on the bar to the right ---> (Recent Reviews) are people's opinions written with whatever skills they happen to possess, and everyone is welcome to do so.

But in the quote above, not only is the comment pointless, but it is not proofread at all (Dog capitalized first time and not second time, and the classic " it's " where he means " its " which occurs several times).  "Stand up to" is the wrong phrase, he means "match".  Basically, the whole paragraph is clumsy.  What he meant to say was:

" As much as I like the Mad Dog, they don't look like anything special.  The Alpha Dog, on the other had, has a unique custom look with more style.  So the question is - does the sound quality match its good looks ? "

Also he may not be aware of this, but he compared the Alpha Dog to the Mad Dog 3.0, not the corrected version 3.2... so I don't think there is anything more significant to the blog post than any other impressions in this thread or in the Head-Fi members reviews.

Jan 24, 2014 at 5:37 AM Post #5,282 of 9,071

I think you posted this to a wrong thread. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/666284/mrspeakers-mad-dog-impressions-and-discussion-thread

Sorry it was an error, I would like to write : "Maybe it's a stupid question but i have an akg k545. Do you think guys that the Aplha dog should be an upgrade ? ..."

Do you have any opinion about it?

Jan 24, 2014 at 6:10 AM Post #5,283 of 9,071
Bahaha, I thought the modded MD/AD statement in that review was pretty funny. I get what the guy is going for, but that was a poor way to word it (but the review itself is pretty poorly written at times, so I guess it fits?). At least it's better than 6 Moons in that, you know, you can actually make sense of it.

Settle down, I can assure you this did NOT in any way affect the sound of your headphones or associated equipment, nor should your writing ability affect your hearing ability.

Jan 24, 2014 at 7:35 AM Post #5,284 of 9,071
  The blog, on the whole, has the sort of styling that makes you think that there is something significant going on.  

A little HTML and CSS makes it looks significant?

Also, you own the headphones, and have read half a dozen reviews. We know what it sounds like. What new do you hope to gain by reading it?

Jan 24, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #5,285 of 9,071
sometimes reading too much into a product just deters you from buying it, now I am under the impression that the bass is not there, as for me I need at least a bas as in the audio technica m50, but with better sound stage and better mids and high, but not highs and mids that hurt the ear. I love to find a headphone that gives a mellow effect when listening as if in a 3d environment

Jan 24, 2014 at 9:57 AM Post #5,286 of 9,071
  sometimes reading too much into a product just deters you from buying it, now I am under the impression that the bass is not there, as for me I need at least a bas as in the audio technica m50, but with better sound stage and better mids and high, but not highs and mids that hurt the ear. I love to find a headphone that gives a mellow effect when listening as if in a 3d environment

The AD definitely doesn't have the same level of bass impact as the M50; in fact, nor does the MD. I think you're looking in the wrong places.

Jan 24, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #5,287 of 9,071

The AD definitely doesn't have the same level of bass impact as the M50; in fact, nor does the MD. I think you're looking in the wrong places.

Great thing it does not have the same level of bass as the M50!

In my opinion, I consider the M50 a basshead can. I can only enjoy them for 10-20 minutes before getting irritated/tired with all that bass.

The Alphas seem to fit my sound signature preferences much better in that matter.

Jan 24, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #5,288 of 9,071

In my opinion, I consider the M50 a basshead can. I can only enjoy them for 10-20 minutes before getting irritated/tired with all that bass.

The Alphas seem to fit my sound signature preferences much better in that matter.

I agree with this. While I would hate to deter people away from a can if they like bass, I much prefer the cleanness of bass of the MD and I am pretty sure the AD (just hate to comment on something I have not tried yet). While the ATH M50s were awesome when I could not afford the better gear. I really find the bass overpowering now, and a little sickening. There are so many other options if you want a bassy can though. 

Jan 24, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #5,289 of 9,071

I can't comment here from experience - haven't heard the M50 - gotta do that, it is sort of a roadmap can - one that frequently comes up when describing other headphones.  Kinda as Grado and Sennheiser do.

I find the Alpha's the least fatiguing of any closed can.  That is hard to do - a closed headphone just has so much opportunity for resonance, peaks, etc. that they can easily be fatiguing.

I agree with this. While I would hate to deter people away from a can if they like bass, I much prefer the cleanness of bass of the MD and I am pretty sure the AD (just hate to comment on something I have not tried yet). While the ATH M50s were awesome when I could not afford the better gear. I really find the bass overpowering now, and a little sickening. There are so many other options if you want a bassy can though. 

Alpha is clean, slightly dark of dead neutral.  MD is a bit darker, with a bit more low/mid bass presence.  Neither is really a bass-head can to my ears.

Basshead - ??? (elsewhere)
Fun, along the lines of the Denon (AHD 2k, 5k, 7k) triplets - MD
Clean, neutral, touch dark - AD

Jan 24, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #5,290 of 9,071
  I can't comment here from experience - haven't heard the M50 - gotta do that, it is sort of a roadmap can - one that frequently comes up when describing other headphones.  Kinda as Grado and Sennheiser do.

I find the Alpha's the least fatiguing of any closed can.  That is hard to do - a closed headphone just has so much opportunity for resonance, peaks, etc. that they can easily be fatiguing.

Alpha is clean, slightly dark of dead neutral.  MD is a bit darker, with a bit more low/mid bass presence.  Neither is really a bass-head can to my ears.

Basshead - ??? (elsewhere)
Fun, along the lines of the Denon (AHD 2k, 5k, 7k) triplets - MD
Clean, neutral, touch dark - AD

Well thats what I figured about the ADs and is actually exactly what I want. All my complaints about the MD seemed to have been changed about the AD.

Jan 24, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #5,291 of 9,071
A bit off topic, but just to throw an opposing opinion in. I haven't listened to my M50's in a little while but I don't consider the bass to be too overpowering. If this is what you guys are calling a basshead can, I still have much to learn. The ultrasones Pro 900 is what I would call a basshead can and I had to get rid of those, mainly for the mids/highs being very overpowered by the bass. 

Jan 24, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #5,292 of 9,071
  A bit off topic, but just to throw an opposing opinion in. I haven't listened to my M50's in a little while but I don't consider the bass to be too overpowering. If this is what you guys are calling a basshead can, I still have much to learn. The ultrasones Pro 900 is what I would call a basshead can and I had to get rid of those, mainly for the mids/highs being very overpowered by the bass. 

I commented out of turn in a way - I have not heard the M50.  Also haven't heard the Pro 900.  Owned the Pro 750 and the HFI 780 though.  Those two Ultrasones - the bass was kind of overpowering, but at least the treble was like being attacked by tiny, sharp knives....

Jan 24, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #5,293 of 9,071
For me, the M50 has more of a mid-bass emphasis that is a bit like the sound profile of the Beats lineup.  It is decidedly V-shaped to my ears.  I think these are nice for very low volume listening, but they tend to become a bit too harsh/bright when playing louder music.  They sound good with electronic music with lots of bass, so they probably get a reputation as being basshead cans, while technically they probably are not well suited to sub-bass.  There are so many opposing opinions on the M50 that you could find just about anything written/reviewed about it.

Sorry if off topic, but it seemed relative to the direction of the discussion.

Jan 24, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #5,294 of 9,071
Have any more upgrade notices gone out? There was mention of the first 10 last week. I am wondering if this same pace (10 notices per week) will continue....not taking into account Mr. Speaker's move at the end of the month.

Jan 24, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #5,295 of 9,071
  Have any more upgrade notices gone out? There was mention of the first 10 last week. I am wondering if this same pace (10 notices per week) will continue....not taking into account Mr. Speaker's move at the end of the month.

I do not know if he is doing 10 notices per week as the upgrade program says it takes 2 weeks to process the upgrades. Though I have no idea what his processing procedure is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back