MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Aug 9, 2013 at 3:23 AM Post #18 of 9,071
The 3D printing is it down at home? Are the material durable? Can they last as long as the conventional material used for headphone making currently?

Aug 9, 2013 at 3:32 AM Post #20 of 9,071
Generally 3D printers print in ABS plastic, which is what most headphones are made of. I can't speak to the specific composition.

The margins of the best ABS printers right (Makerbot 2X) now are about 0.200 mm.

There is a printer, the Form 1, which prints at about 0.05 mm by using laser lithography - but the material it prints in is a resin similar to acrylic and may not be stable in sunlight.

The restrictions with 3D printing do not seem to be so much in terms of precision margins, but issues with inabilities in terms of printing objects with overhang etc.

It's quite obvious that once 3D scanners are up to a certain fidelity, people will simply start copying headphone parts and reprinting them / modifying them.

The revolution will be 3D printed.

Aug 9, 2013 at 3:33 AM Post #21 of 9,071
Quote:
The 3D printing is it down at home? Are the material durable? Can they last as long as the conventional material used for headphone making currently?

We are in offices these days, actually.  We outgrew the garage a while ago.  :)

3D printing uses ABS or PLA plastic.  There are different grades of ABS.  We're using a super-premium grade that is really durable.  We also treat it after printing to increase structural rigidity.  They're plenty tough.  In a rotation stress test the Fostex riser assembly broke before our cup.  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Aug 9, 2013 at 3:40 AM Post #22 of 9,071

3D printing uses ABS or PLA plastic.  There are different grades of ABS.  We're using a super-premium grade that is really durable.  We also treat it after printing to increase structural rigidity.  They're plenty tough.  In a rotation stress test the Fostex riser assembly broke before our cup.  

That sounds promising. I like the idea of having a reference-grade closed-back headphone at hand. Hopefully the cups will be durable enough to put in a backpack filled with books/laptop/other things of the sort.

This is probably way out of the scope of the production in the near future, but will other colours be available to purchase later on? A deep blue or purple colour would be something cool to see since I'm personally not a big fan of the dark cherry red colour.

Aug 9, 2013 at 3:44 AM Post #24 of 9,071

Congrats on the growth, I am interested for sure, I like to see how it pairs with current balanced portable amps, hopefully the future cables can have RSA connections. All the best :)

Aug 9, 2013 at 3:45 AM Post #25 of 9,071
Quote:
Generally 3D printers print in ABS plastic, which is what most headphones are made of. I can't speak to the specific composition.

The margins of the best ABS printers right (Makerbot 2X) now are about 0.200 mm.

There is a printer, the Form 1, which prints at about 0.05 mm by using laser lithography - but the material it prints in is a resin similar to acrylic and may not be stable in sunlight.

The restrictions with 3D printing do not seem to be so much in terms of precision margins, but issues with inabilities in terms of printing objects with overhang etc.

It's quite obvious that once 3D scanners are up to a certain fidelity, people will simply start copying headphone parts and reprinting them / modifying them.

The revolution will be 3D printed.

Nice breakdown there. 3D printing looks very credible for CIEMs. There's already laser scanning technology for scanning every bend and corner for the outer and inner ear. Combining that with the 3D Printer tech will very well revolutionize the way CIEMs are made. 

Aug 9, 2013 at 3:51 AM Post #26 of 9,071
I'm curious, will there be a prototype of the Alpha Dogs at the Bay Area meet this weekend?

Nvm, found my answer (yes).

Aug 9, 2013 at 4:05 AM Post #27 of 9,071
This looks really really cool - I think fans of Mr. Speakers are going to be over the moon for this. I'm really floored by how far this guy has come in such a short time - I kind of feel like he has earned a head-fi-wide standing ovation.

Aug 9, 2013 at 4:42 AM Post #28 of 9,071
I was sold once he said Mad Dog owners can send their's in for upgrades...
popcorn.gif

Aug 9, 2013 at 4:47 AM Post #29 of 9,071
I was actually just considering purchasing a Mad Dog, but they probably wouldn't compliment my speakers very well since they are both neutral sound signatures. But this news really got me interested again. Dan, if you don't mind me asking, how much less distortion does the material itself produce compared to the stock plastic cup material? I love the set screw by the way, I'm sure it'll give a lot of people the little push they need to decide on your headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back