MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Oct 13, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #2,821 of 9,071
Matt is the only one from memory that I've seen say the AD has more than the MD. Though comparisons are thin as is.

I probably should not have mentioned my preference for the D5000.  I wanted to provide a reference that made it clear that me and Jude do not share the same idea of what constitutes our ideal sonic qualities.  Without a doubt, my Mad Dogs are the best reference headphones I own, from a technical perspective.  They provide the most natural reproduction of the music than anything else I have ever heard with my equipment.  Everyone seems to agree that the Alpha Dogs go even further in this direction of "naturalness".   That is good enough to convince me to upgrade.

Oct 13, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #2,822 of 9,071

Thanks again for another brief description of the AD's bass. You, also, have contributed to my purchases in the past... particularly when I bought the Westone 4R looking for an IEM with a similar tone to that of the MD.

You were fairly accurate in that suggestion so I am appreciative in how you are helping me, yet again.

No problem. I'm still working on my comparisons, but I believe I have a firm grasp on th AD now that I've had some time with it. 

Oct 13, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #2,823 of 9,071
From what I've garnered it seems as though the Alpha Dog helped clean up some of the Mad Dog bass.  I really can't agree with people saying that the LCD2 and Mad Dog have similar bass.  The Mad Dog bass is noticeably resonant with a bit of bloom.  I'm assuming the Alpha Dog corrected that making the bass dryer-- based off comments.  The Denons are the epitome of bloom.

Oct 13, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #2,824 of 9,071
Yes, thanks a bunch Greed, and to everyone else that has chimed in on these issues.  It sounds like overall the bass is improved, with a bit of push and pull with regards to the details on where this improvement is found.

Oct 13, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #2,825 of 9,071
I finally hit the 1000+ post mark.

Is it too late to sign up for the tour???
tongue.gif

Oct 13, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #2,827 of 9,071
From what I've garnered it seems as though the Alpha Dog helped clean up some of the Mad Dog bass.  I really can't agree with people saying that the LCD2 and Mad Dog have similar bass.  The Mad Dog bass is noticeably resonant with a bit of bloom.  I'm assuming the Alpha Dog corrected that making the bass dryer-- based off comments.  The Denons are the epitome of bloom.

I do agree with you, the MD's bass is more resonant and bloomy than the LCD2, but it has a similar weight and warmth. It's basically how the LCD2's bass would sound like if it was closed off, resonance and all. To that extent, I can say the MD is like a closed LCD2.

Oct 13, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #2,829 of 9,071
The LCD2 wasn't heavy enough to give me any neck or back problems, but the headband did tend to dig into my head and create pressure points over time. That's something I think I could get used to over time though, as when I first started the hobby, the Beyerdynamic headbands were digging into my skull and giving me press points.

The LCD for me isn't so much heavy as it is something that you'll always realize is there on your head.  The ear-pads fit real well, very spacious and comfy. When you first put them on they might not seem so heavy, but if you take them off and put something else on you'll feel like you didn't put anything on.

Oct 13, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #2,830 of 9,071
The LCD2 wasn't heavy enough to give me any neck or back problems, but the headband did tend to dig into my head and create pressure points over time. That's something I think I could get used to over time though, as when I first started the hobby, the Beyerdynamic headbands were digging into my skull and giving me press points.

The LCD for me isn't so much heavy as it is something that you'll always realize is there on your head.  The ear-pads fit real well, very spacious and comfy. When you first put them on they might not seem so heavy, but if you take them off and put something else on you'll feel like you didn't put anything on.

I can only imagine going from the LCD2 to the MA900... The LCD2 is like wearing 3 MA900s... lol.

Oct 13, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #2,831 of 9,071
They do push the limit of what is comfortable with regards to weight. I'm 5'10" and 160. I couldn't adjust to the weight. Granted I do spend a lot of time listening to hp's. Usually about 5 hours a day during the week and I can have marathon sessions on the weekend if the schedule permits. I'm at a point in my life and hp journey that I'll take extremely comfortable over better sound. 

Oct 13, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #2,832 of 9,071
Weight has not been an issue for me yet, but I haven't found any headphone that heavy. The Audezes do get uncomfortable after an hour or so though do to the awkward weight distribution. 

Oct 13, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #2,833 of 9,071
Then do yourself a favor and never put on the MA900. You'll become aware of other headphone's heftiness and start craving for that MA900-type weight.

It spoiled me. It basically ruined the X1 to the point where I didn't wanna put it on my head anymore... and the X1 is quite comfortable.

Oct 13, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #2,834 of 9,071
   I'm at a point in my life and hp journey that I'll take extremely comfortable over better sound. 

That is certainly something to ponder.  I basically have no neck, so I've never even considered weight to be a factor in my decision. 
biggrin.gif

I don't feel that the Mad Dogs I own have any significant weaknesses. Seems like the Alphas have even fewer areas that anyone could consider a potential weakness.  So, an affordable, supremely comfortable headphone with no problem areas in sound reproduction is ideal.  I sometimes take comfort for granted, because of the headphones I currently use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back