MP3 vs CD Player?
Nov 1, 2009 at 9:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Katun

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm shooting for highest SQ using the CD's I have.

If I use MP3, I would use loss-less format ripped at high bitrate.

For the CD player, I would obviously just plug in the headphones

P.S. I will only be using AD700's for all listening.

Thanks for any advice!
biggrin.gif

CD Player: Amazon.com: TEAC CD-P1260 CD Player with LCD and MP3 Playback: Electronics
MP3 Player: Amazon.com: Cowon iAUDIO 7 Portable 8 GB MP3 Player (Red): Electronics

Nov 1, 2009 at 10:17 PM Post #4 of 14
I'm not sure how DAPs compare to portable CD players exactly.

But I can tell you that the i7 sounds excellent w/ 320kbps mp3's.

Nov 1, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #5 of 14
Oops, sorry. I didn't mean 320 mp3, but "320 FLAC."

If you visited the link you will know what I'm trying to decide between

I will only listen with my AD700s for home listening, so the CD player seems like a better choice if it has better SQ, right?

If I were to use my mp3, I would rip the CD's into the format stated in quotes. Either way, I am using the CD for the music.

Nov 1, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Katun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oops, sorry. I didn't mean 320 mp3, but "320 FLAC."

There is no such thing as 320 FLAC. You can have 320 MP3 or 320 AAC (both lossy). But no such thing as 320 FLAC.

FLAC typically compresses somewhere between 400 and 1000 kbps. It all depends on the music. Classical music typically compresses better. Modern rock typically compresses poorly (near 1000 kbps). So FLAC files can range from approx 2X to 4X the size of an MP3.

The CD player you link to isn't portable. So I assume you're not looking for a pure portable solution. If you go the CD player route I'd stick with regular redbook CDs and avoid the MP3 CD option. MP3 CDs can be fussy.

Nov 2, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is no such thing as 320 FLAC. You can have 320 MP3 or 320 AAC (both lossy). But no such thing as 320 FLAC.

FLAC typically compresses somewhere between 400 and 1000 kbps. It all depends on the music. Classical music typically compresses better. Modern rock typically compresses poorly (near 1000 kbps). So FLAC files can range from approx 2X to 4X the size of an MP3.

The CD player you link to isn't portable. So I assume you're not looking for a pure portable solution. If you go the CD player route I'd stick with regular redbook CDs and avoid the MP3 CD option. MP3 CDs can be fussy.

Oh sorry, FLAC vs CD player then.

No, I'm not looking for a portable solution. I would only use my AD700 in my room where either my mp3 or my CD player would be.

I wouldn't use mp3 CD's either, just the ones direct from manufacturer.

Nov 2, 2009 at 12:40 AM Post #8 of 14
In that case I'd go for the full size CD player. I've tried my Denon D2000 in some inexpensive full size CD players that have a headphone out and they can do quite well. Better than my poor little iPod Classic drives the Denon D2000.

Unfortunately I don't have a particular model CD player to suggest and I've never heard that Teac player.

A CD player is going to get you to listen to full albums. Portable players make it easier to skip around and just listen to selected tracks instead of full albums. So depends on the style of listening you like. I personally listen to full albums even on a portable so full CD album listening suits me.

Nov 2, 2009 at 2:26 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In that case I'd go for the full size CD player. I've tried my Denon D2000 in some inexpensive full size CD players that have a headphone out and they can do quite well. Better than my poor little iPod Classic drives the Denon D2000.

Thanks for the advice.
biggrin.gif

I just figured if my headphones don't leave the house, what is the point of a portable player? Unless it had better sound quality using FLAC ripped CD's, than CD's do direct from a CD player.

Nov 2, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #11 of 14
If you get the CDP, get an integrated amp or a HP amp to go with - cover your bases, have your firepower in place and avoid the situation many Head-Fiers find themselves in : big cans and nothing remotely capable of driving them. Alternatively, get a modest pair of Grados (or stick with the AD700s - good choice ) or sensitive IEMs and save yourself the pain.

Nov 2, 2009 at 4:39 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by KONAKONA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are not going portable then definitely get a dedicated CD player. I have some old DVD player and it sounds fantastic. Shame I don't use it more often.
frown.gif

So a basic budget CD player would be a better choice than a higher end mp3 such as the iAudio? (well, at least for my needs)

Nov 2, 2009 at 1:39 PM Post #13 of 14
Disregard the fact of what sounds better, at the end of the day its the test and meausring equipment that will pick up the difference in terms of SQ and not the human ears.

Nov 2, 2009 at 2:32 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Albinoni /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Disregard the fact of what sounds better, at the end of the day its the test and meausring equipment that will pick up the difference in terms of SQ and not the human ears.

In other words...
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back