MP3 Player to tide me over till Chroma...
Aug 13, 2004 at 6:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

minya

Headphoneus Supremus
I think I'm going to need an MP3 player to hold me off until the Rio Chroma comes out, since I have a feeling it won't be out for a while. When does the Rio Carbon come out? I suppose that might be an option but I'm not sure it's worth spending that much money, considering I plan to buy a Chroma as soon as it's available. All I have right now is a RioVolt SP250 MP3 CD player, which has served me well for a while, but is definitely starting to show its age.

What's most important to me in an MP3 player is probably ease of transfer, i.e. I don't want to use irritating, bloated software like iTunes that tries to synchronize things for me. I can manage just well on my own, thanks much. Are there any cheaper players out there that don't need dumb proprietary software to transfer files to the player? Firewire is also a nice plus, but I can live with USB2.

Or maybe I should just wait.
plainface.gif

- Chris

Aug 13, 2004 at 6:30 PM Post #2 of 13
I've seen a staggering number of inexpensive players that let you drag and drop/manage/delete files on the Windows desktop/OS X finder... but these are usually from S. Korean startups with no track record in sound quality. Everyone quotes a 90 or 95dB S/N ratio, but like austonia or someone else said a while ago, that's not exactly an useful figure for comaprison.

I'm in love with those small button/coin/one-half-of-oreo-shaped MP3 players at the moment, and I've seen them for cheap (am not in the US), but sound quality is still a big question mark, but I'm just no longer the type that gets uptight upon hearing hiss in my headphone out, and I've no qualms with hooking that output to my amp.

There's the iAudios (both the 4 and the M3): I quite like the 4 for sound, but they're probably too expensive as a stopgap gadget-lust solution
smily_headphones1.gif
If you can afford the price though, and think in terms of your total cost of ownership (purchase price minus what you get from selling on eBay), that's one way to go.

(Edited to Americanize my English :p)

Aug 13, 2004 at 7:43 PM Post #3 of 13
Carbon is supposed to come out on 9/14. It has drag n' drop capability, so you can use it as a removable storage device for tunes and data. But, the Rio software isn't that bad...

But then you gotta factor in the Karma or Carbon issue, since they are the same price. Features and hd size or portablility and newer features. Unless you don't care for the Karma at all. Then you have an easy decision
wink.gif

Aug 13, 2004 at 7:47 PM Post #4 of 13
I would imagine the release of the carbon and chroma are also going to be the release of update firmware for the nitrus/karma to provide msc support etc. As far as the chroma, it is unlikely IMHO that it will not be out until spring. There are a few sites up right now advertising it with 'possible' features, I am still betting that it will be out for the holidays. Check out forums-riovolution.com for more info.

Aug 13, 2004 at 7:54 PM Post #5 of 13
Thanks for the suggestions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by leon
I've seen a staggering number of inexpensive players that let you drag and drop/manage/delete files on the Windows desktop/OS X finder... but these are usually from S. Korean startups with no track record in sound quality.

Yeah... I'm gonna avoid those. They seem rather flimsy. I briefly looked at the iAudio players, and I think they're too pricy for a stopgap solution (and possibly difficult to obtain in the USA).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Achtunghoy
Carbon is supposed to come out on 9/14. It has drag n' drop capability, so you can use it as a removable storage device for tunes and data. But, the Rio software isn't that bad...

But then you gotta factor in the Karma or Carbon issue, since they are the same price. Features and hd size or portablility and newer features. Unless you don't care for the Karma at all. Then you have an easy decision

Hmm, 9/14 isn't too far away. I can wait that long. Where can you get the Karma for $215? I'm a little wary of the Karma due to hard drive issues and the fact that it's rather thick. And I'd feel kind of silly getting a Karma only to know I'd be upgrading to a Chroma in several months. But I guess I could sell it. What's the best price on a Karma?
wink.gif
BTW - do you, or anyone, know what features the Carbon will have that the Karma/Nitrus doesn't?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edvard_Grieg
As far as the chroma, it is unlikely IMHO that it will not be out until spring. There are a few sites up right now advertising it with 'possible' features, I am still betting that it will be out for the holidays.

I'm willing to hedge my bets it won't be out till next year... but we'll see, maybe you're right.

- Chris

Aug 13, 2004 at 9:20 PM Post #6 of 13
Regarding the Carbon and Karma being the same price, I was talking about Carbon's retail and Karma's current price.

The Carbon has voice recording, 3.5gb more space than the Nitrus, carry case, ums, 23 hour battery life, and it's smaller.

Aug 14, 2004 at 2:49 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Achtunghoy
Regarding the Carbon and Karma being the same price, I was talking about Carbon's retail and Karma's current price.

The Carbon has voice recording, 3.5gb more space, carry case, ums, 23 hour battery life, and it's smaller.

The Carbon has a 5GB HD vs the Karma's 20GB. The Carbon has a 3.5GB advantage over the Nitrous. Know that's what you meant but it may have looked confusing to some.
biggrin.gif

Aug 14, 2004 at 8:56 PM Post #9 of 13
with the Chroma be smaller than the Carbon? I have read that the Chroma may have 40Gb space...that is tempting, with FLAC capability too...and uploading? If that is true...I doubt I will go Hi-Md.

Aug 15, 2004 at 8:16 AM Post #11 of 13
Chris,

I was almost in the same position as you a few weeks back. I was originally holding out for the Chroma to debut, but after some consideration, I instead decided to buy a near-new Karma off a Head-fier instead. Just got it two days ago; mine cost me $225 shipped, and it's been solid so far, ever since the original owner has had it. No HD issues, and working flawlessly. If you do consider the Karma, I recommend buying it off newegg (which has it for $245) with an extended warranty. The Rio Music Manager is decent for doing the job as far as transfers. I haven't tried the RioRad software yet.

It is thicker than the ipod, but it has a nice form-factor that fits to your palm. I also like the joystick/scroll wheel for ease of navigation. Sound quality is very nice when using FLAC, and gapless playback is a big plus in my book. I don't know whether I'd want to pay over $300 for the Chroma with a color screen and prettier looks. The features that the Karma has are all I need, really.

Aug 15, 2004 at 9:34 PM Post #12 of 13
Unfortunately while I believe iPods took a step forward in their refinements, the latest rumours on the Chroma with its 16-bit display, 20G, and a battery life that only matches the latest iPod does dissapoint me, especially considering the expected price (a 16-bit color LCD is a *BIG* overhead in cost with *zero* benefit to me in terms of actual portable listening usage), is going to be significantly higher than the iPod counterpart if you factor in educational discount.

As a Karma owner I am feeling a little dissapointed and may just get an iPod to complement the Karma. Really I would have just wanted a smaller, sleeker, more reliable Karma with even better battery life.

A more expensive color display Karma does not impress me when it comes at a cost of both $$ and battery life for a feature that may impress at first, but goes literally unused in day to day real usage.

This is still in the rumour mill, but am worried that Rio would try to make a brash move with its color display for a bit of marketing flair that will end up being detrimental to what Karma owners really want...*useful* features, reliability, battery life, better controls, and price. Seeing as the name of it is "Chroma", I am almost sure this may be the case. If I wanted an awesome color display I would have bought a larger portable DVD/Divx Player...or just a nice laptop.

If these details are true...I am almost certain to round out my portable and just get a 4G iPod instead. Perhaps stick all the albums that need gapless on the Karma, and the others on the iPod lol.

Aug 16, 2004 at 2:03 AM Post #13 of 13
Ozric, thanks for your suggestion. I think I'm going to follow your lead and just buy a Karma now. I'll sell it later if I want to get a Chroma. I'd rather not buy from Newegg, though, because I'd have to pay tax.
plainface.gif
I'm still searching for the best place to buy it.

- Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back