Mozart Symphonies favorite recordings
Nov 23, 2006 at 5:10 PM Post #16 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Masolino,

You are so good at finding ways to separate me from my money! Next time you post, I'll look for the obligatory apology to my wallet.
tongue.gif

Oops, new cast? No Veronique Gens? Quelle tragédie! Hopefully the new one will sound as good as the older one.

Oui c'est vraiment tragique!
icon10.gif
The new (and mostly younger) cast seems to be not quite in the same league as the one on CD, according to the
one review I could find of this video recording: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0446414/usercomments.

No matter though, I am still interested in finding out how well Jacobs's hyper-theatrical approach works on stage. Will report back once I get hold of the set.

Nov 24, 2006 at 2:07 AM Post #17 of 58
I enjoy Bohm best, but there are others. Certainly Mozart is worth hearing in more than one interpetation. Walter and Beecham also do full-modern orchestral versions well worth hearing.

For the 501s, I'd investigate Emmanuel Krivine's Denon recordings, which are better mixed for headphones in my opinion. Smaller orchestra, but that means more wind-oriented chamber sound, which is a nice alternative. I don't know if Bruggen has recorded Mozart symphonies, but I've certainly enjoyed his original instruments Haydn.

Nov 24, 2006 at 4:29 PM Post #18 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Masolino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sir Gardiner's recent live recordings of 39/41, now available on his own label, are said to be even better both in sound and interpretation. I will try to get them when I get to England next year.
smily_headphones1.gif

Hi Masolino,

Any word as to whether the earlier symphonies will be released too? Also, are the newer releases the same recordings or is he re-recording the symphonies? Where did you learn this? I have the 38,39; 40,41 and 31, 34 but have been looking to find reasonably priced new editions of the others. I had been hoping they would be re-released (perhaps under the Eloquence label) for the Mozart anniversary year, but alas, this did not happen.

Btw, the two cds of the 38,39 and 40,41 are still relatively easy to come by. The rarer and more desirable 32,35,36; 29,33; and 31,34 are still a bit difficult to find, and can command very high prices.

Edit: Oops! just noticed you wrote "recent live recordings." They aren't listed at Monteverdi Productions, nor do they list the Mozart Requiem which he performed on tour (notably here in NY last year to great acclaim).

Nov 25, 2006 at 12:24 AM Post #19 of 58
Quote:

Btw, the two cds of the 38,39 and 40,41 are still relatively easy to come by. The rarer and more desirable 32,35,36; 29,33; and 31,34 are still a bit difficult to find, and can command very high prices.

Philips just reissued the integral Schubert recorded by Bruggen, so some kind of Mozart collection by either Gardiner or Bruggen may be hoped to come out soon in the same way.

Quote:

Edit: Oops! just noticed you wrote "recent live recordings." They aren't listed at Monteverdi Productions, nor do they list the Mozart Requiem which he performed on tour (notably here in NY last year to great acclaim).

But they are! Under the disguise of some awkward renaming, of course. The album is called "SDG on the night" and appears to be available ONLY through SDG's online shop. It was said to be the outcome of an experiment where the CD's were made and ready for sale on the same evening as the recorded concert itself.

http://www.monteverdiproductions.co....TOKEN=68032771

Nov 25, 2006 at 8:50 AM Post #21 of 58
Quote:

Philips just reissued the integral Schubert recorded by Bruggen, so some kind of Mozart collection by either Gardiner or Bruggen may be hoped to come out soon in the same way.

How does the Brüggen Schubert compare to the Harnoncourt? Also, do you know anything about the Immerseel Schubert?

Nov 25, 2006 at 2:50 PM Post #22 of 58
Saw that MacKerras set at Barnes & Noble yesterday. I WOULD have been lusting over it, but they REALLY try to rip you off there; $109.99 for the set, as opposed to the $57 or so I can get it for online.

Nov 25, 2006 at 2:57 PM Post #23 of 58
Quote:

Too bad they don't have the Requiem available, but hope springs eternal...

Indeed...I once thought that there would be no more Gardiner recordings after he got fired by DG. (I am still waiting for the day when he and Robert Levin would go ahead and give us the first ever Brahms concerti recorded on period instruments. )
tongue.gif

Nov 25, 2006 at 3:26 PM Post #24 of 58
Quote:

How does the Brüggen Schubert compare to the Harnoncourt? Also, do you know anything about the Immerseel Schubert?

I can't answer this question since I own neither the Bruggen nor the Harnoncourt.
Part of the reason for that is because I think I already have enough Schubert
symphony recordings on original instruments between Immerseel's complete
set and the couple of discs from Bruno Weil, both on Sony and both excellent.
There are at least two versions of the Immerseel. I have the Sony Columbia
Lengend (cheaper) edition and find Immerseel's performing notes mercilessly cut.
From what's left, though, I figure it is probably worth the extra dollar or two to
get the imported French version (with a different album cover) which I heard
provides much more documentation on the performance practice used for the
recordings. Interpretatively the Bruno Weil recordings are lean and mean
while the Immerseel seems a bit mellower but still packs a lot of raw energies
where it is required. Both are, in any case, bolder performances than the (relatively)
lukewarm ones from MacKerras and Norrington, which I don't listen to much anymore.

Nov 25, 2006 at 5:03 PM Post #25 of 58
Quote:

Both are, in any case, bolder performances than the (relatively) lukewarm ones from MacKerras and Norrington, which I don't listen to much anymore.

Thoughts on Norrington? Depending on who you ask, he appears to be really good (Beethoven), really bad (Beethoven, London Classical players), or out of his mind (Mahler 5 with no vibrato)

What do our friends have to say? Is he worth listening to?

Dec 10, 2006 at 2:54 AM Post #27 of 58
Quote:

No matter though, I am still interested in finding out how well Jacobs's hyper-theatrical approach works on stage. Will report back once I get hold of the set.

I just got the new-ish Figaro DVD with Rene Jacobs conducting. It's a different cast from the one on the CDs, but who's complaining when
most of it is excellent in acting and more than adequate in singing.
Will only comment on two things now: first the production is a visual delight from beginning to end with giant production of classical stilllife paintings as backdrop which help to create, alternatively, a very baroque (this is Seville we are talking about) or pastel-colored, 18th-century feel (think Watteau or Tiepolo). Second, it is truly nice to have many members of the cast singing Italian natively - even the secco recitatives sound extremely musical. Jacobs's handling of Mozart's music as drama is breathtaking as usual - those extended finales sizzle with tension building.

Dec 10, 2006 at 10:52 AM Post #28 of 58
Quote:

I'm perhaps not qualified to address the Harnoncourt recordings because I've not heard them. But, I can say the Brüggen Schubert is so enjoyable in both performance and recording that I'm in less of a hurry to hear other original instrument alternatives.

Dec 11, 2006 at 3:46 AM Post #29 of 58
Quote:

I just got the new-ish Figaro DVD with Rene Jacobs conducting. It's a different cast from the one on the CDs, but who's complaining when
most of it is excellent in acting and more than adequate in singing.
Will only comment on two things now: first the production is a visual delight from beginning to end with giant production of classical stilllife paintings as backdrop which help to create, alternatively, a very baroque (this is Seville we are talking about) or pastel-colored, 18th-century feel (think Watteau or Tiepolo). Second, it is truly nice to have many members of the cast singing Italian natively - even the secco recitatives sound extremely musical. Jacobs's handling of Mozart's music as drama is breathtaking as usual - those extended finales sizzle with tension building.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinsinnott /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm perhaps not qualified to address the Harnoncourt recordings because I've not heard them. But, I can say the Brüggen Schubert is so enjoyable in both performance and recording that I'm in less of a hurry to hear other original instrument alternatives.

Looks like I've got another shopping list!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back