Mozart String Quartets
Jan 22, 2008 at 7:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

wower

1000+ Head-Fier
I've been paralyized over which version of Shostakovich's 5th to get and decided to swing the other direction and look at Mozart's String Quartets, probably the Haydn String Quartets, no. 14-19. However, after searching head-fi, I was surprised to find there was scant infomation on these pieces (even searching head-fi through google). I'm pretty open to any Mozart String quartets and have confidence in head-fi recommendations. Would anyone like to share their experience about versions/performance/recordings to get? I have lots of Alban Berg Quartet and would rather go elsewhere, unless it really is the best! I'm also very sensitive to recording quality. I hope to put the order through next week for sure. No more delays.

Jan 22, 2008 at 8:23 AM Post #3 of 27
heheh. So they aren't the best?

I looked up that CD on Amazon.jp because I love the sound of my Philips label CD - very transparent - but its not in stock (plus I don't need the complete works).

Jan 22, 2008 at 9:15 AM Post #4 of 27
Quatuor Mosaiques gets my vote for best Mozart in a very long time. The Itialiano's are also pretty good, very elegant and rich.

Jan 22, 2008 at 2:12 PM Post #5 of 27
Well.. Hmmm.. I'm just leery about getting the full box set that's available on amazon.jp. I'm sure it's top notch but there are so many CDs to buy in the world. I'll do some more research in the morning - it's late here. I have to admit to not being too familiar with Quatuor Mosaiques or Quartetto Italiano. Thanks for the suggestions. It's nice to get away from the couple of big quartet groups (though I quite like their recorded material).

Jan 24, 2008 at 2:00 AM Post #6 of 27
My opinion...

Mozart:
The Mosaiques are world class..and the sound is outstanding.

Great performance: The Chilingirian Quartet. Ok sound quality.

Plug for my fav string quartets.....*Beethoven* string quartets:
Hardcore purists will say The Busch Quartet from WAY back...horrible recordings, but the performances...WOW.

My favorite performances would be by the Vegh Quartet. Sound quality is good. These, I'm confident you will find to be the most recommended in classical circles.

Tokyo quartet is excellent for the "Early" quartets only.

Jan 24, 2008 at 2:09 AM Post #7 of 27
Lindsay SQ have really redefined the late Beethoven quartets....

For Mozart I like the Tokyo and Italianos...but I really don't keep up with the latest recordings. Definitely stay away from Alban Bergs...

Jan 24, 2008 at 2:55 AM Post #8 of 27
There is actually more than one set of Alban Bergs. There's (at least) one on EMI, and an earlier one on Teldec. I think it is the EMI one that is so widely disliked, whereas the Teldec, in my limited experience(they're the only Mozart quartet recordings I have) is quite nice. Furthermore, Gramophone's recommended recording for quartets 17 & 19, the 'Hunt' and 'Dissonance' quartets, is from the Teldec ABQ set.

I know this topic asked about the string quartets, but if you haven't already you should definitely look into the string quintets. IMO they are superior, with richer arrangements and a broader range of expression. The philips duo sets of the complete quintets are great in my experience, and give you a number of significant pieces together with the string quintets. There is also a very well reviewed set of all 6 fully digitally recorded from the Talich quartet available for $15 here. I haven't heard it, but based on my previous experience with the Talich I can easily believe all the praise. If I had known this recording existed before I got the complete quintets on Philips I would have bought this one instead.

Regarding the Vegh beethoven set, it seems to be of extremely variable availability. Sometimes it is available on Amazon and sometimes it is not. It was by far the most recommended recording of the Beethoven cycle when I was shopping for one, but seemed to be out of print at the time so I bought the Talich set instead. Then it reappeared a month later. Right now Amazon isn't selling it new and the cheapest used copy available on Amazon is $300. However, the Vegh Beethoven set is available here right now for only $58, whereas it wasn't listed a week ago. So anyone should strike while the iron is hot, if they want to get a copy.

Indeed, I should probably too. The Talich has not disappointed me at all but this set seems to be truly special.

Jan 24, 2008 at 3:24 AM Post #9 of 27
can anyone recommend a classical album thats basically like a greatest hits of the best symphonies and what not on it. I dont listen to classical really at all, but I do like to listen to some every once in awhile.

Jan 24, 2008 at 5:05 AM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZepFloyd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can anyone recommend a classical album thats basically like a greatest hits of the best symphonies and what not on it. I dont listen to classical really at all, but I do like to listen to some every once in awhile.

i would look at one or more of the emi best 100 sets. real bargins here. tons of great music.

Amazon.com: Classical - best 100 emi: Music

Amazon.com: "EMI's Best Classics Series"

Jan 24, 2008 at 11:24 PM Post #12 of 27
Has anyone tried this set?

Amazon.co.uk: Mozart - The String Quartets: Music: Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

519qu05F-yL._SS500_.jpg

Jan 25, 2008 at 7:23 AM Post #13 of 27
Whoa, this thread is back from the dead. Thanks for all the new input!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZepFloyd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can anyone recommend a classical album
thats basically like a greatest hits of the best symphonies and what not on it. I dont listen to classical really at all, but I do like to listen to some every once in awhile.

I'm sorry. This made me laugh out loud in the office when I read it. I'm all for letting the topic developed where it may; but you'll get a much better response if you post your own thread. Or better yet; remember on web forums that search is your friend.

Back to the OP: In regards to beethoven's string quartets I already have a set.
smily_headphones1.gif
It's amazing that either classical music fans ask for very specific things or the beginners very broad.

Thanks for the info on the quintets. I have enjoyed Schubert quintets and like the philips label for it's transparency so I will definately check it out. It will take for me some time to run these names through Amazon.jp. I just wish I could identify a consensus forming, other than to stay away from ABQ's later quartets.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back