Mozart Piano Concertos
Oct 25, 2004 at 2:21 PM Post #46 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by mctree
Any comments on Curzon/Britten's on Decca? Someone recommend his 27 to me. Since I have already got Haskil's and Brendel's Mozart piano concertos, just wonder if his are worth buying. Thanks in advance.

I am glad you mentioned it... Harris Goldsmith, a pianist who wrote reviews for High Fidelity magazine in its heyday, said of the Curzon 20/27 that "It was for such a document that the phonograph was invented!" The remastered sound on the Decca Legends set is very fine.

Oct 25, 2004 at 8:50 PM Post #47 of 85
I have almost gotten that Curzon/Decca Legends 2CD set a couple times, but haven't gotten great price new or used yet........may get soon if opportunity arises. (I am too cheap to pay near full price)

I did listen to Casadesus/Sony 21,24 at budget price well worth owning. His style most resembles 1970s Brendel, so no lack of energy and sound is very good for how old it is. Too bad there are no more extensive Casadesus sets available domestically......there are some imports:

Casadesus

Ashkenazy/London complete set is now finished and as said before it would be my first choice for complete sets......looks like my 2CD Ashkenazy set will go up for sale soon. My ideal reference set would use period instrument small orchestra with modern piano, my search continues.

I don't like the Tan/Virgin Beethoven concertos using forte piano, again the muffled tinkly sound of forte piano just doesn't wotk for me......this will go up for sale very soon.

Next up is Pletnev/Virgin Mozart concertos.

Oct 26, 2004 at 4:40 AM Post #48 of 85
DA,
Based on your preferences, you really should give Goode and the Orpheus Chamber Orchestra series a try. Great recordings, transparent small orchestra, and Goode's playing is somewhere between Ashkenazy and Brendel.

Oct 26, 2004 at 8:41 PM Post #49 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson
DA,
Based on your preferences, you really should give Goode and the Orpheus Chamber Orchestra series a try. Great recordings, transparent small orchestra, and Goode's playing is somewhere between Ashkenazy and Brendel.

OK, ordered a couple used Goode/Nonesuch CDs:
-Mozart 23,24
-Mozart 19,27

Oct 30, 2004 at 12:42 PM Post #51 of 85
Pletnev/Virgin (4 Pleasure Series)
OK finished this excellent budget price 4CD set (4 CDs for price of 1):
1,2 are Haydn piano concertos and sonatas
3,4 are Mozart pianio concertos
I love sound quality of most Virgin label recordings. Very clear, detailed, intimate yet not bright or etched. Pletnev uses small group Neuss German Chamber Philharmonic for all 4 CDs and modern piano.

CD1 has three Haydn concertos that all Mozart fans must get, they sound similar to 8-14 style Mozart concertos and I have never really seen these before so they are new to me. The sound and performance are everything you would expect, think of them as bonus tracks for your Mozart collection.

CD2 has Haydn sonatas which are not much value to me, I don't really listen to sonatas by any artist....but others may find this quite valuable.

CD3 Mozart 9,20 concertos done in exemplary fashion with the extrovert style I like and proper scale with small chamber orchestra. Again sound quality is about as good as any Mozart concerto CD out there.

CD4 Mozart 23,24 is the CD I want to most discuss, this is one of the best CDs I have ever heard by any conductor of any Mozart concerto. Sound qulaity is somehow raised another notch higher and Pletnev plays with added inspiration that surpasses his already fine CD3. He is most similar to young Ashkenazy but has his own panache that can even surpass Ashkenazy if falling just shy of the reference Argerich Mozart 20 discussed earlier. Try to find used Pletnev/Virgin 23,24 CD almost impossible and price will be very high due to demand.

To sum up you can buy 4CD set new for less than you will pay for used Pletnev/Virgin 23,24 so this is great buy for Mozart fans and should not be passed up if you are serious about your Mozart. Would love to see complete Pletnev set some time in the future, would be my reference going by these two CDs.

Pletnev

Oct 30, 2004 at 9:15 PM Post #52 of 85
Sigh, another goes on the list. Thanks Dark Angel.
etysmile.gif

dshea

Oct 30, 2004 at 10:34 PM Post #53 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by dshea_32665
Sigh, another goes on the list. Thanks Dark Angel.
etysmile.gif

Get used to it.
evil_smiley.gif
DA has cost me a staggering amount of money since the Mahler thread was started, very little of which I've regretted.
rolleyes.gif

BW

Oct 31, 2004 at 11:53 AM Post #54 of 85
Gentlemen you can stop the money drain anytime.......just say no more CDs (after this one last purchase)
k1000smile.gif

Currently waiting for my used Goode/Nonesuch Mozart Cds to arrive (which Tyson forced me to buy) I really like the Orpheus Chamber Orchestra so hope these are the real deal. Haven't heard much from Orpheus, 10 years ago they were very active with many recording projects.

With the huge number of quality budget/mid priced classical CDs plus used market it has never been cheaper to acquire classical...........10+ years ago all Cds were full price! Great example is over at Shostakovich thread one of the best complete sets available is Barshai/Brilliant, 15 CDs for under $30 many places.

Nov 1, 2004 at 12:18 AM Post #55 of 85
Quote:

Gentlemen you can stop the money drain anytime.......just say no more CDs (after this one last purchase)

And risk missing something really good?
confused.gif
Unfortunately, I now have such boundless faith in your musical taste and discernment that I'm compelled to pay heed.

And while I joke about my looming insolvency, I really do appreciate the advice. You've got a better success rate than any commercial review source I've encountered yet.
icon10.gif

Regards,

BW

Nov 2, 2004 at 9:46 PM Post #57 of 85
Tyson
Love the packaging for the Goode Mozart Concertos, each CD has outer slipcase with beautiful baroque scence then CD jewel case has related scence for artwork, sweet! Will give them listen over next couple days.

Budley
Let us know whet you think of Pletnev

Nov 6, 2004 at 6:51 PM Post #59 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
Tyson
Love the packaging for the Goode Mozart Concertos, each CD has outer slipcase with beautiful baroque scence then CD jewel case has related scence for artwork, sweet! Will give them listen over next couple days.

Budley
Let us know whet you think of Pletnev

OK will have to listen to Goode/Nonesuch again when I get a chance, many other classial CDs calling me. On first listen I would put Goode in the middle "balanced" group of performances that would include Anda/DG, of course the newer Nonesuch recording is slightly more refined and detailed. Also the Orpheus CO has a more authentic style and plays with a bit more elan vs Anda's forces. I may acquire more of this series but have yet to sample the Shelley/Chandos series.

Also have not discussed in detail, but I would place the Kovacevich/Phillips in the balanced group also.

Extrovert, Energetic (Argerich, Pletnev, Ashkenazy)
Balanced (Anda, Goode, Kovacevich, Jando, Schiff)
Introspective, Lyrical (Perahia, Uchida, Kempff)

We need more input from others to keep this thread going.........

Nov 6, 2004 at 8:09 PM Post #60 of 85
Well, no real input yet. I've tried listening to the first CD, (Hayden Piano Concertos), but I keep getting interrupted. Unfortunately, it's been real busy around here. Sounds like it's close-miked and dark, like a Bosendorfer. I like the balance with the orchestra. I've never been a good reviewer, so I'll just say "I like it very much". I've been saving the 4th CD for last, DA, since I know you liked it so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back