Mozart Piano Concertos
Feb 6, 2007 at 11:33 PM Post #76 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by JayG /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm glad this thread has been revived. Mozart's PCs are woefully underrepresented in my collection, and since I really enjoy them and they are so important in music history, I really need to correct the problem.

The only complete set I have is the Uchida, and I don't like it very much. I listened to some clips of the Mackerras/Brendel discs that have been mentioned, and they sound very very good, especially the orchestra. But they really are expensive. The Goode discs are alsi intriguing to me, but are also expensive and not yet available as a set.

There are a lot of options, but I haven't decided on one yet that has convinced me enough to make the purchase.

-Jay

I think these, as a set, are right near the pinnacle of classical music, along with Beethoven's Symphonies, and Beethoven's Piano Sonatas (and, for me, Sibelius's Symphonies).

Two other discs that you should consider are Moravec's recordings with AOSMITF (Marriner); unfortunately, they are full price as well. However, with Goode/Orpheus, Brendel/Mackerras, and Moravec/Marriner, you can likely put together the best performances and the best sound possible in the Piano Concertos.

I would like to follow that up with a fortepiano set, but I may have to wait for Brautigam, given the mixed reviews I'm reading for Bilson and Immerseel.

Feb 7, 2007 at 12:08 AM Post #77 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by seacard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nobody has any comment on the Buchbinder set? Tyson? DA? Bunny?

Do you guys know whether Levin and/or Staier plan on ever completing their cycles or have they been abandoned? Also, I wonder if Brautigam will record a cycle. His Mozart Piano Sonatas are excellent, and the two discs that I have of the Beethoven are two of my favorite purchases in the last year.

Who knows what Brautigam will be doing next. The final volume (15) of Haydn was just released and he's very busy recording the Beethoven and collaborating with such artists as Sharon Bezaly. Unfortunately Bis doesn't plan to release it as a boxed set before 2009 according to an email from Leif Hasselgren, because "... we need to think about recouping the costs of the recordings, and selling the discs at great discount (which a boxed set means in reality) is not necessarily the best way to do so."

I haven't heard that Staier has any plans to record more Mozart, especially after the anniversary year. His last albums, Hamburg 1734 and the Beethoven Sonatas for Piano and Violin are just terrific. In fact, I'd be happy if he and Daniel Sepec recorded all of the sonatas and I'd certainly like to hear more Buxtehude (who is reputed to be one of the greatest composers most people haven't heard of).

If Levin decides to record the piano concertos, he won't be doing it with Hogwood and the Academy of Ancient Music which is now directed by Rachel Brown. That also has changed labels from Decca (L'Oiseau Lyre) to Chandos while Levin is now associated with Hänssler. I mention the contractual obligations of the artists because usually they can't collaborate on disc if they can't get the permission of their respective companies.

Btw, Staier's Mozart was recorded while he was with Teldec or DHM (BMG) for the most part and is, unfortunately oop. I keep hoping they will reissue it, but if they didn't for Mozart's anniversary, they aren't likely to anytime soon. Luckily, when considering Mozart's piano concertos there are many good recordings to choose from.

Buchbinder's piano concertos have gotten the 10/10 from Distler, so they are not negligible. Lately I've been more interested in HIP Mozart, so for now this set will have to wait. I'm also sure that the price will drop while I wait, so there's no rush.
wink.gif

Feb 7, 2007 at 12:55 AM Post #78 of 85
Yeah, I've been listening to the Haydn/Brautigam recordings on Naxos.com, and they sound great. I wish there were SACD hybrids, but I guess you can't have everything. That's too bad that it won't be until 2009 that we will see these in a box set. Buying the 11 volumes individually will cost around $200.

Feb 9, 2007 at 4:08 AM Post #79 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by JayG /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm glad this thread has been revived. Mozart's PCs are woefully underrepresented in my collection, and since I really enjoy them and they are so important in music history, I really need to correct the problem.

The only complete set I have is the Uchida, and I don't like it very much. I listened to some clips of the Mackerras/Brendel discs that have been mentioned, and they sound very very good, especially the orchestra. But they really are expensive. The Goode discs are alsi intriguing to me, but are also expensive and not yet available as a set.

There are a lot of options, but I haven't decided on one yet that has convinced me enough to make the purchase.

-Jay

IMO, the latest Brendel is the best of the lot. I think brendel is one of the few pianists that doesn't prettify mozart too much. Goode is similar in his approach, but I think Brendel has a little more intellectual rigor, and it benefits this music enormously. People always talk about artists finding "depth" in mozart, which usually means they get a little schmaltzy, but very few talk about bringing intelligence and clarity to mozart, but when someone like Brendel does just that, it pays off in spades.

Feb 9, 2007 at 3:47 PM Post #80 of 85
I've read with interest all the preceeding posts and have been conducting my own journey through Mozart's piano concertos.

A couple of highlights of concerto 23:

Pommier (Virgin) - His recording of this (23rd) led me to finally undestand the piece.
Veronika Reznikovskaya (Infinity) - a super budget issue from a Russian Sony subsidiary, it was a nice surprise. Very warm performance.
Barenboim (Teldec) - As a Chicago resident, I was prejudiced against Mr. Barenboim, but he sure cooks in this version. I liked Teldec's recording, which is tastefully close - the impact is outstanding. His playing is masculine, but not pounding. Another nice surprise for different reasons. The accompanying concerto #22 has a great gritty-textured string sound.

Feb 20, 2007 at 2:30 PM Post #81 of 85
For me,the set of Barenboim with the English Chamber Orchestra is sublime,even though the woodwinds are sometimes out of tune.

Feb 20, 2007 at 3:40 PM Post #82 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrysoberyl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For me,the set of Barenboim with the English Chamber Orchestra is sublime,even though the woodwinds are sometimes out of tune.

Out of tune woodwinds are never sublime. Noticeably out of tune instruments would keep me from enjoying anything.
eek.gif

Mar 6, 2007 at 11:00 PM Post #83 of 85
cool.gif
It's only a tiny bit! The phrasing by Barenboim is what makes these recordings super world class.You aren't going to be disturbed by the winds...

Jul 13, 2007 at 10:42 PM Post #84 of 85
Jul 15, 2023 at 1:35 PM Post #85 of 85
I generally prefer HIP recordings over the traditional ones. I am familiair with the Bilson/Gardiner, Immerseel and Bezuidenhout recordings. All are excellent, but overall I think I prefer the Bilson/Gardiner recordings. Tempi and dynamics are very well judged, never going into extremes, whereas I find Immerseel consistently a bit too slow, rhythmically less defined and with less drive. Bezuidenhout and the Freiburger tend to rush and also tend to exaggerate dynamics at times.
The sound of Bilson/Gardiner recordings is excellent, although there is this distinctive 80's DG/Archiv polish in the sound that makes it a bit less natural, almost a bit traditional/romantic in its sonority. I prefer the sound of the Immerseel and Bezuidenhout recordings.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back