Moving up to full-size from DBA-02
Jan 18, 2011 at 6:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

onebandonesound

Head-Fier
I currently do not own any full size headphones---only iems. My current main iem is my fischer audio DBA-02, which I absolutely love. I have always preferred full size headphones to iems, but I have enjoyed the convenience of iems. I am looking for a full-size headphone that has a similar type of sound signature to the DBAs, preferably around ear, but supraaural is fine too. I listen to mostly trance, with a decent amount of classic and hard rock, and the occasional rap song or two. I am looking for the clarity, detail, and aggressive type of attack that I love in my DBAs in a full-size. Bass isnt a HUGE factor, and I do appreciate that hard-hitting impact, but I am not a basshead; i prefer clarity and detail over all else. soundstage isnt much of a concern, but imaging, that sort of left to right orientation feeling, is relatively important. I am also on a budget, so something up to $200, but if there is something exactly what i'm looking for, a little bit more, I'd be willing to go up to $250. thanks

Jan 18, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #2 of 13
Fischer FA-003 for open or FA-004 for closed might work look at their threads. Beyerdynamic DT880 may also work.

Jan 18, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #4 of 13
You may be stuck looking at Audio Technica headphones like the AD900 if you can find a used pair in the FS section. Another option is the Superlux HD668B which I found a bit bass light and bright for my tastes which will likely put them in your wheelhouse sound signature wise.

Jan 21, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #6 of 13
They will be comfortable for you as I found them slightly tight but is a comfortable way and I have an average to slightly small head. They had pretty good detail in my opinion and get better amped but sounded pretty darn nice without an amp. Between my love of a darker bass oriented sound and the fact I ended up getting a super deal on a pair of AH-D7000 which pretty much was the end of the line for all my other fullsize heaphones I ended up selling them. If you look in the portable forum at this thread James McProgger may have posted some comments on the HD668B as he was the gentleman who bought my pair. I believe he quite likes them.

Jan 21, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #7 of 13
I actually wouldnt recommend the AD900, even though they do sound similar in some ways. The highs are piercing, i couldnt wear my old pair for more then 15mins at a time. Always ended up going back to the DBA-02's.

Jan 21, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #8 of 13
I did a little reading, and the Superlux seem like exactly what I'm looking for, and cheap too! the only problem is, I cant find themanywhere to ship to the US. I found plenty of places that sell the 681, but not the 668b...does anybody know where to get them?

Jan 21, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #9 of 13
Try Paw Music, they are in Canada and I think they ship to the US. They are just waiting for a shipment to arrive according to the site.

Jan 21, 2011 at 10:54 PM Post #10 of 13

Quote:
I actually wouldnt recommend the AD900, even though they do sound similar in some ways. The highs are piercing, i couldnt wear my old pair for more then 15mins at a time. Always ended up going back to the DBA-02's.

I also found the AD900 to sparkly for me and couldn't wear them for to long a stretch. They also were unbearably thin sounding in the mid-range for me.

Jan 22, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #11 of 13
I worked it out, and with shipping, they are about $80 usd. arent these supposed to sell for closer to $40? i saw them online somewhere for like $30, but they didnt ship to the US. has anyone heard both the 681 and the 668 who can tell me the differences?

Jan 22, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #12 of 13
Definitely thin sounding in the Mid range, i would put my MS-1's on and the smile would return to my face. But i love my Mids! :)

Quote:
Quote:

I also found the AD900 to sparkly for me and couldn't wear them for to long a stretch. They also were unbearably thin sounding in the mid-range for me.

Jan 22, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #13 of 13
I don't think you will be able to find them as cheap as they were in some of the thread talk. Living in Canada they weren't to bad for me but ya I ended up paying about $80 for mine too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back