Moving to external DAC
Feb 3, 2009 at 6:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Gitbags

100+ Head-Fier
I was considering adding a dac, either V-dac or dacmagic, to my current set up:

Foobar 0.9.5.6> M-audio 2496> GS Novo> Grado sr325i/sen hd650

But before I do so I was wondering if I'll get any noticeable improvement. I've read about the benefits of having an external box; avoids internal noise, pretty lights etc. But would it offer any improvement over the M-audio 2496, used in conjunction (coaxial) or separately (usb, optical).

I'll hopefully get the opportunity to try both dacs soon, but unfortunately not with my home setup, which I must admit I'm happy with but would like to squeeze just that little bit more out of.

So if anyone else has made a similar move I'd be grateful for the input.

Cheers
Richard

Feb 3, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #2 of 6
Well I am actually auditioning a Dacmagic at my home currently. Make sure to ask your local dealer if it´s possible nothing beats hearing them at home where you can just focus on what you hear. It takes quite some time to really get a feel of new equipment.

The jump from my Elite PRO which is a bit better then your m-audio I do believe was not that great I have hoped for. Keep in mind that I haven´t have much time to burn in my DacMagic. Not sure how much burnin actually help Dacs since this is my first though.

the biggest problem I have with it is learning how it all works... It´s a bit of a hassle to have to use the amplifier knob to adjust volume. Since I learned that you always should use 100 % gain to your DAC. I guess that also counts for soundcard volume. In Vista at least I can adjust volume via Windows but not in XP.

Other then that it seems hard to get equalizers if you want to play with that to work with asio4all. I don´t even have that option in mediasource 5 when running digital out. In 7 really only creatives own player seem to work neither vambuntu or Asio seem to play nice in 7. Luckily my headphones are fairly neutral I have never felt the need to boost bass or adjust treble anything with my Ultrasones and Denons.

But well it´s an improvement anyway. It has a lot of extra features I don´t need though so I am not sure if you just need a DAC with say optical out and RCA outputs there isn´t better deals out there maybe for even less? However as mentioned the noise is really nonexistant...

Feb 3, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #3 of 6
I would love to try either at home but unfortunately my nearest richer sounds is 90miles away so I doubt they'll be to happy to lend me one, but fortunately they have a 14 day returns policy to be abused. The V-dac maybe a different story.

I've no major worries about volume control as I'll just use the amp's pot.

Oh and just incase it makes any difference I'm using xp (sp3) and asio.

Cheers

Feb 3, 2009 at 8:11 PM Post #4 of 6
I know your budget is around $400~500, but you might also want to consider the Wadia 121 DAC when it comes out at the 2nd half of this year (you should have 6+ months to secure more fund). I am on the same boat, as I'm also looking for a DAC. I was ready to pull the trigger and get a Havana, until I saw this.

Feb 3, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #5 of 6
That is one beautiful looking box. But possibly overkill at the moment for me, something worth aiming for though. Thanks for pointing it out.

Your close with the estimate of my budget, it's around £200 probably should have pointed that out at the start. Anyone else what to chime in with their experiences? Doesn't have to be with the CA or MF, just a decent budget dac.

Feb 4, 2009 at 10:47 PM Post #6 of 6
Well I picked up a dacmagic today to have a play with and I have to admit it's made a nice difference. It's more detailed than the m-audio 2496 if a bit colder sounding but that might just be me.

To be honest when I plugged it in at first I thought I'd made a mistake, there was bugger all bass, but its been running for a good 5 hours now and it's starting to pick up. All in all a nice little purchase.

All I need now is a new job and more money to try more exotic boxes.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back