Moving on from audio technica AD700- What next?
Jan 2, 2012 at 1:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

mattyw761

New Head-Fier
Hello ,

Im tying to revitalise my bedroom hifi setup and would like some ideas. I have had a set of Audio technicas AD700 for a few years with a denon dm37. Whilst this is ok, im not really that fussed on the sound that comes out of them these days, preferring the sound that comes from my sennheisser px200 mk2s and a sansa clip.....  I want to keep the denon unit but would like some ideas for a good headphone that would sound good for fastish indie/rock such as peter bjorn and john , electronica like chemical brothers and also good for classic rock/metal . Im probably looking at getting a headphone amp as well to get around the buzzing the headphone jack gives off on the denon. Probably looking at around £300  excluding amp.

Thanks and happy new year
smile.gif

Jan 2, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #2 of 6
I was in a similiar situation except I have the AD900's.
I switched to the Ultrasone DJ1 Pro which is actually a tweaked Pro 550. I chose this headphone because I wanted an isolating headphone with a strong low end that also looked good enough that I could wear them outside the house.

Considering what you listen to, I would suggest getting a pair of Grado's. I've tried a pair of sr80's and they were absolutely amazing for classic rock or anything where the mids are important. They are also a lot easier to walk around with.

Jan 2, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #3 of 6
To be honest I was looking more at the denon ah d5000, but grado may not be a bad idea considering how much I prefer my px200 headphones over my big bulky audio technicas. I will have a look at whats in the grado range.

Jan 2, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #4 of 6
I definitely recommend the Grado's.  Some of them can be harsh though in the brightness area.  I would get a Tube style amp if you get the Grado's.  I just got the bottlehead crack and i got a new set of sr60i's and some sr325i drivers.  I am making wooden cups for the 325i drivers and am using the sr60 headband and brackets.  I am recabling them and putting them into the crack.  I can't wait to hear what they sound like.

Jan 2, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
To be honest I was looking more at the denon ah d5000, but grado may not be a bad idea considering how much I prefer my px200 headphones over my big bulky audio technicas. I will have a look at whats in the grado range.

Yeah the sr225i or even the sr325 would be in your price range. The good thing about Grados is that a lot of shops carry them, and the sound signature is unique to the series. You can probably find a Grado to demo quite easily, depending on where you live.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back