Mouser shipping
Oct 1, 2007 at 12:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Cecala

Headphoneus Supremus
Can people who have ordered a small order(Passive components) from Mouser to Australia state what they paid for shipping.

Oct 1, 2007 at 12:56 PM Post #3 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by fordgtlover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just paid US$28.45 freight via USPS to Canberra and it took just over two weeks to arrive.

I take it, it was a small package? What the hell is going on in the world. These shipping companys are holding us by the throat. Was USPS the cheapest option you chose?

Oct 1, 2007 at 2:24 PM Post #4 of 29
I always use USPS, even within the US. Faster and cheaper, unless the package will be heavy. Mouser recently started using DHL@home, which is a partnership between DHL and USPS, so DHL does the initial delivery to the local post office, then USPS delivers to the house. The problem is that where USPS used to take 2-3days, the new DHL server take more than a week.

When I ship stuff to either the US or internationally, I still always use USPS. Again, cheaper and (for the price) faster.

Oct 1, 2007 at 5:16 PM Post #6 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianDonegan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I always use USPS, even within the US. Faster and cheaper, unless the package will be heavy.

Base on my experience with Mouse orders, usually Mouser charges about $2 handling fee for delivering the package to USPS office, so USPS might not be that cheap compaing to UPS/Fedex group within US.

USPS priority mail is fast and relatively cheap for small package, but it does not have tracking before it is delivered.....
wink.gif

Oct 1, 2007 at 6:00 PM Post #7 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by applegd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Base on my experience with Mouse orders, usually Mouser charges about $2 handling fee for delivering the package to USPS office, so USPS might not be that cheap compaing to UPS/Fedex group within US.

USPS priority mail is fast and relatively cheap for small package, but it does not have tracking before it is delivered.....
wink.gif

Agreed. For domestic shipment, the Mouser's version of USPS adds time and money, all w/o the ability for tracking. But it'd probably make sense for oversea shipment from a financial perspective.

Additionally, Mouser seems to be slower in shipping out the order than it's competitors (Digikey, Newark, etc.). Plus, the packaging methods of Digikey and Newark are far better than Mouser.

Just my two cents
wink.gif

Oct 1, 2007 at 7:08 PM Post #8 of 29
Quote:

Until my last order, I have not found that to be true, at least with small orders. Typically about $5-$7 for shipping.

Quote:

For domestic shipment, the Mouser's version of USPS adds time and money, all w/o the ability for tracking. But it'd probably make sense for oversea shipment from a financial perspective.

Again, up to my last order, that used the always crappy DHL, I received USPS orders from Mouser in 2-3 days. UPS takes one week. Next small order I will specify that they are not to use DHL under any circumstances.

Quote:

Additionally, Mouser seems to be slower in shipping out the order than it's competitors (Digikey, Newark, etc.). Plus, the packaging methods of Digikey and Newark are far better than Mouser.

I find time to ship to be about the same for all three (order from them at least once/week each). Newark's shipping is super fast, but probably because they are a lot closer (NJ to MA). Also, the last package of relays (5 rails of Omron G6K) from Newark arrived with the rail stoppers out, and relays all over the box with bent pins. Not happy at all. Digikey rules in the completely over-packaged department (a good thing), and they use recyclable/biodegradable shipping materials.

Also, I find with my larger orders from Mouser ($600 and up), they usually upgrade me from UPS Ground to UPS 2nd Day at their expense.

Off topic enough yet?
wink.gif

Oct 1, 2007 at 8:09 PM Post #9 of 29
Quote:

Until my last order, I have not found that to be true, at least with small orders. Typically about $5-$7 for shipping.

I'm with Brian, I've never been charged a handling fee at Mouser even for absurdly small orders when I've forgotten a single item. Digikey, anything less than $25 gets dinged, but not Mouser.

Quote:

Again, up to my last order, that used the always crappy DHL, I received USPS orders from Mouser in 2-3 days. UPS takes one week. Next small order I will specify that they are not to use DHL under any circumstances.

I don't think you have a choice about the DHL involvement IIRC, they have a contract with the USPS to do some of the handling, I remember getting into an argument with Mouser about this a year or so ago when it took much longer than expected to get a priority mail package that was partially handled by DHL.

Quote:

Newark's shipping is super fast, but probably because they are a lot closer (NJ to MA). Also, the last package of relays (5 rails of Omron G6K) from Newark arrived with the rail stoppers out, and relays all over the box with bent pins. Not happy at all. Digikey rules in the completely over-packaged department (a good thing), and they use recyclable/biodegradable shipping materials.

Newark used to be king when it came to absurdly overpacked orders. I still use the first box they ever sent me, which contained the parts for two PIMETAs, as a storage box for ALL MY PARTS. It has to be 18W x 36L x 12H. While they've gotten better about the size of box they use they still are the most expensive when it comes to shipping. At least they were the last time I used them, of course it was so bad that I haven't used them since.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Also, I find with my larger orders from Mouser ($600 and up), they usually upgrade me from UPS Ground to UPS 2nd Day at their expense.

I think the threshold for that is around $200, at least from my experience. I love it when they upgrade shipping.

Quote:

Off topic enough yet?
wink.gif

Sure, but that's half the fun of it, right?

Oct 2, 2007 at 1:17 AM Post #10 of 29
For me, I've often placed simultaneous orders with Digi-key and Mouser. I always specify USPS Priority Mail because it comes out being the most cost effective and expeditious method. Since Digi-key is in Minnesota and Mouser in Texas, they're about equally far from me and Digi-key's shipment usually arrives a day earlier than Mouser's. Not a big deal, and I am happy with the service with both. I wish Digi-key didn't impose a surcharge for orders less than $25, though.

Oct 2, 2007 at 3:16 AM Post #11 of 29
Quote:

Base on my recent experience from my mouser orders, if you look into USPS shipping charge close enough and talked to mouser sales/service representatives, you will see this about US$2 thing included in total shipping charge without explicitly stating it as handling fee. I saw this and confirmed this with Mouser rep at least two times.....maybe I am cheap, why I asked mouser so many damn questions.......
very_evil_smiley.gif

My experience with Newark is roughly OK as long as they didn't mess up the order upfront. Or it will be pain in *ss. I had one Newark order made me mad. When I placed the order, I got confirmation email with correct price. Later on I received the official invoice which charged me much more. I called Newark customer service back couple times, they adjusted the price couple times. Finally the *ss pain stopped as the final charge is correct. But you know how they made it right? Delete my original order history in their billing system first(this can cause problem if you have rebate with them), create new order, refund the original charged to credit card, charge the new amount to credit card, this is first round to correct the sale price. They ran the second around to correct the shipping cost as they sent two small items to me from exact same warehouse then charged me the UPS shipping twice. From then I always do business with digikey and mouse, no more Newark unless I have to.

Oct 2, 2007 at 2:09 PM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by roninuta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
here is the online tool for estimating shipping outside the US.

http://www.mouser.com/estimateshippi...ship.aspx?sl=1

just select Australia and it should give you options for UPS and FedEX

hope that helps

Yes I have found this , although next to useless as they put the provisional statement that it's calculated at shipment.

Oct 3, 2007 at 3:23 PM Post #14 of 29
Does mouser charge tax just like digikey does?

I am not sure mouser add additional shipping charge when using USPS. But mouser shipping thru USPS seems bit expensive than that of digikey. It also seems to me digikey is faster than mouser. Digikey usually ships out the package in few hours to a day. I got shipping notice in few hours after order.
Mouser said they do same day shipping too, but that never happened with my orders. I usually got shipping notice in 2 days.

Oct 3, 2007 at 4:46 PM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seaside /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does mouser charge tax just like digikey does?

i think the addition of tax is dependent upon whether the order is shipping to a state in which they have brick & mortar (i.e., a warehouse). i've always gotten charged tax by DigiKey, because they have a warehouse about 45 mins from where i live... but it's worth it, since my orders get here essentially the next day (if i order early enough).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back