Mouse -Fi
Feb 2, 2012 at 3:29 AM Post #167 of 616
Feb 2, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #168 of 616

Quote:
Good find man,

It's a great mousepad.  Has anyone used a glass one and has any comparisons to a plastic / rubber they'd like to share? I honestly haven't tried any of the plastic or rubberized ones so I'm interested in how it stacks up.

I too have an old Icemat, this is the mousepad I have used for the longest amount of time by far.
It's great although very noisy with some mice, today I use a Steelseries SX aluminum mat, not much difference between this and the Icemat, except the SX doens't wear down the mouse feet as quick as the Icemat and it is less noisy.

Not a plastic/rubber mat but might be useful anyway.

Feb 2, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #169 of 616

Quote:
Good find man,

It's a great mousepad.  Has anyone used a glass one and has any comparisons to a plastic / rubber they'd like to share? I honestly haven't tried any of the plastic or rubberized ones so I'm interested in how it stacks up.

I've tried the Icemat, and other hard plastic surfaces (everglide? dont know if they're even around anymore), but I always come back to cloth.  Using one of those Steelseries qck+(?) pads now, but for many years I always just went with those standard old Allsop cloth pads.  Personal preference I suppose, the glass/plastic surfaces were too fast for me, I liked the control on the cloth more.

Feb 2, 2012 at 6:14 PM Post #170 of 616
Yea I agree with the both of you, the icemat does get a bit loud at times.  Maybe should try one of those aluminum ones since it's quieter.  Hmm, I would try to go back to a rubber one but after using a glass one for so long it would probably feel weird.

Feb 2, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #171 of 616
No one owns a DeathAdder or can tell me if their mouse has a favorable scroll wheel button? I need to move this to a more relevant forum.

Feb 2, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #172 of 616

Quote:
No one owns a DeathAdder or can tell me if their mouse has a favorable scroll wheel button? I need to move this to a more relevant forum.

I have a DeathAdder and have used as my primary mouse for a few months now. I got it because I do a lot of gaming and I needed something that was better than wireless.

So what I can tell you is this: As compared to an average mouse, the DeathAdder is better. It tracks a lot smoother. I wouldn't say it responds faster to clicks (I've never noticed it as being better or worse) but the tracking is superb. Truly first rate.

Now, if you are talking about the scroll wheel's button (what happens when you press down on the scroll wheel) it works just fine and is 100% configurable, just like every other button on the mouse.

However, I do have two complaints about it.

1. A couple of times since I've bought it (two times that I can remember, but might be three) the software that I use to play with has crashed mid-Game when I've been playing Left 4 Dead 2. This requires a restart as the mouse will track but no buttons will respond. There might be a fix for that to give it basic fall-back, but I haven't found it. Granted, it's only happened a few times.

2. The scroll wheel is not a nice scroll wheel. It's stepped, which is something I actually really strongly dislike in a scroll wheel. It doesn't have inertial scrolling like you get in a nice Logitech mouse. However, those mice tend to suck for gaming. I imagine the idea is that gamers want it to be stepped so it's harder to miss when scrolling through your inventory, but I would like a mechanical switch to give me the option. However, the performance of the mouse in other respects makes up for it.

And that's where I want to just put something else in. I bought this mouse for gaming but find it a pain to switch between this and another mouse for normal use. That's fine because it's a good mouse for normal stuff, too. However, I do a lot of Photoshop work which requires precision and smooth movement. That's the place I really notice the difference. I know the tracking should be as clear to me when I'm playing an FPS but for some reason it makes brush-work in Photoshop so much easier. If you're a graphics guy and need a mouse, get a gaming mouse. They have loads of buttons and the tracking makes up for having a cord.

Feb 2, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #173 of 616
^ You could try a Logitech Anywhere MX. The scroll wheel switches between stepped and smooth (really smooth) by clicking on it. Small mouse, though; maybe the larger Performance MX has the same feature?

Feb 3, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #174 of 616

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougofTheAbaci /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have a DeathAdder and have used as my primary mouse for a few months now. I got it because I do a lot of gaming and I needed something that was better than wireless.

So what I can tell you is this: As compared to an average mouse, the DeathAdder is better. It tracks a lot smoother. I wouldn't say it responds faster to clicks (I've never noticed it as being better or worse) but the tracking is superb. Truly first rate.

Now, if you are talking about the scroll wheel's button (what happens when you press down on the scroll wheel) it works just fine and is 100% configurable, just like every other button on the mouse.

However, I do have two complaints about it.

1. A couple of times since I've bought it (two times that I can remember, but might be three) the software that I use to play with has crashed mid-Game when I've been playing Left 4 Dead 2. This requires a restart as the mouse will track but no buttons will respond. There might be a fix for that to give it basic fall-back, but I haven't found it. Granted, it's only happened a few times.

2. The scroll wheel is not a nice scroll wheel. It's stepped, which is something I actually really strongly dislike in a scroll wheel. It doesn't have inertial scrolling like you get in a nice Logitech mouse. However, those mice tend to suck for gaming. I imagine the idea is that gamers want it to be stepped so it's harder to miss when scrolling through your inventory, but I would like a mechanical switch to give me the option. However, the performance of the mouse in other respects makes up for it.

And that's where I want to just put something else in. I bought this mouse for gaming but find it a pain to switch between this and another mouse for normal use. That's fine because it's a good mouse for normal stuff, too. However, I do a lot of Photoshop work which requires precision and smooth movement. That's the place I really notice the difference. I know the tracking should be as clear to me when I'm playing an FPS but for some reason it makes brush-work in Photoshop so much easier. If you're a graphics guy and need a mouse, get a gaming mouse. They have loads of buttons and the tracking makes up for having a cord.

Thanks, Doug! I don't mind a stepped scroll, so that doesn't bother me. How much pressure is needed to press and hold down the scroll button though? The tracking results you've been having is great to hear. I'm very close to buying this mouse! Sending my G9x RMA to Newegg tomorrow 
smile.gif

Btw, the smooth scroll that the Logitechs have that you wish the DA would, is nice, but it tends to go further than you actually scroll it, or worse, it pulls (ever so slightly) back to something you passed over already. A little too fast at scrolling, I'd say.

Feb 3, 2012 at 1:35 AM Post #175 of 616

Quote:
^ You could try a Logitech Anywhere MX. The scroll wheel switches between stepped and smooth (really smooth) by clicking on it. Small mouse, though; maybe the larger Performance MX has the same feature?

That is the mouse I replaced with my DeathAdder. Yes, it scrolls wonderfully but tracks pathetically, which the larger version would do as well.

@Treal512: Yeah, they have a down-side, but I never use a scroll ball when gaming aside from switching my DPI settings on my DeathAdder. Handiest feature EVER. As for pressure, It's say it's maybe twice the weight of the regular mouse button? Which is good because it doesn't cause accidental clicks. It's a shallow click, however, and doesn't take much pressure.

Feb 4, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #176 of 616
i have found a glitch in the g500. i have used it on a number of different machines and all suffer the same problem at some point. the only thing those machines had in common was the g500. so it has to be the g500.
if the monitor is set to go to sleep or screensaver it will periodically turn back on at random. it will also turn back off in less time than windows is set for. perhaps it is dirt on the sensor. or perhaps the mouse is so sensitive that if air or whatever moves it 1/1000th of a mm it will register. i have no idea. i love this mouse though so i keep dealing with it. until the release a corded successor. also the g500 will not work in any usb 3.0 port i have tried it in. even though the ports are backward compatable. which suggests to me even more their is some quirk in this mouse.

has anyone else had this issue with this mouse or other usb mouse?
if i were to replace it what would you guys recommend? i had a xai and promptly returned it. mice most have progressed by now id think.

Feb 5, 2012 at 2:55 AM Post #179 of 616
i am now sure beyond a reasonable doubt it is this mouse. it took a long time to figure that out too. did you by chance have a g500?

i also realized it can be a spec of dirt on the lense. my mouse pad is all furry lol. i will try compressed air and see if that helps. it could be a bug in the sensor though. what is happening is it is regestering "polling" when it most likely is not. unless it moved like a drop somehow which is somewhat possible. my cat banged into the wall behind the computer and instantly set it off. that is absurdly sensitive, however, all the better for gaming! you want a sensitive mouse you got it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back