Motherboard manufacturers going for "Hi-Fi" onboard sound
Sep 19, 2013 at 6:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

MD1032

Headphoneus Supremus
I bought an Asrock Z87 Extreme4 and I just realized today that apparently they tried to add some kind of fancy onboard sound to it that is supposedly better than typical motherboard onboard sound. I saw the "purity sound" logo on the mobo when I put it in, obviously, but apparently it's actually an EMI-resistant shroud that covers some better-than-crap chips underneath. Oooo!!

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z87%20Extreme4/

Jeez, I might actually plug one of my amps in and try it out. Heck, they claim it supports up to 600 ohm headphones. I'll plug my Senn 600's in and try that, too. Who knows, maybe it's better than my EMU 0404 USB (I know, it's ancient...not keeping with the times over here but it sounds OK and it's a reliable piece of machinery for recording). Any opinions, or is it just marketing fluff?

Sep 19, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #2 of 3
Whisper it softly in these parts but on board audio outs have been excellent for years now. The ins, particularly mic ins. are still crap but line out and most phones out have become very good indeed. Anything less than $200 on an interface is pretty much a waste of money. Even then it's not the conversion or output stage that's important so much as the facilities.

Likesay. Not everyone is going to agree. That on board audio is rubbish has become a established, or at least widely believed, trope.

You do still run the risk of getting a dreaded 'earth loop' though. Shielding ain't going to help much with that. Much lower power chips and cards make EMI less of an issue anyway.The EMU was a great budget buy half a decade ago. There is no reason they cannot do the same quality for far less today.

I've got three ASUS boards on the go at the moment. Two desktops and a portable. Cannot really complain about the analogue stereo out on any of them. I normally run all three through an interface for convienience and flexibility but it not a big deal if on board out is the only convenient option.

600 Ohm headphones might be pushing it a bit though .....be interested in your opinion.

Sep 19, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #3 of 3
  I bought an Asrock Z87 Extreme4 and I just realized today that apparently they tried to add some kind of fancy onboard sound to it that is supposedly better than typical motherboard onboard sound. I saw the "purity sound" logo on the mobo when I put it in, obviously, but apparently it's actually an EMI-resistant shroud that covers some better-than-crap chips underneath. Oooo!!

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z87%20Extreme4/

Jeez, I might actually plug one of my amps in and try it out. Heck, they claim it supports up to 600 ohm headphones. I'll plug my Senn 600's in and try that, too. Who knows, maybe it's better than my EMU 0404 USB (I know, it's ancient...not keeping with the times over here but it sounds OK and it's a reliable piece of machinery for recording). Any opinions, or is it just marketing fluff?

When you get the motherboard install and updated to the latest audio drivers, post back on your opinion on the on-board audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back