Most universal: Headfive vs. Gilmore Lite
Sep 19, 2006 at 10:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

SysteX

500+ Head-Fier
So--I'm considering buying my first headphone amp and would like some feedback as to which amp (Headfive or Gilmore Lite) is better with a wide variety of cans. I currently have some DT770/80s, but may pick up some K701s or Senns in the near future.

So, which amp would be better for me? Or, is there another amp in the same price range (<$300 used, <$350 new) that would be better suited?

Sep 19, 2006 at 10:27 PM Post #2 of 9
i haven't heard either amp, per se, but i used to own an HA-1 MkII (which the head-five is based off of) and i've heard several dyanlo implementations. assuming that neither screws with the basic formula, which i doubt they do, i would say that they are both very well suited to a variety of cans. i doubt you would go wrong with either. flip a coin, or something
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 19, 2006 at 10:34 PM Post #3 of 9
The Gilmore Lite is a very neutral amp, and thus lets the natural characteristics of the headphone take over... when I had it I thought it performed very well with SR225s, beyers dt770 , and AKG K701s. I have also seen a lot of people singing its praises with the Senns as well.

Sep 19, 2006 at 10:43 PM Post #4 of 9
grandemostasa tested both my Gilmore Lite and his Headfive here:
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=196768

I find the HeadFive forgiving, and yellafella321 declared that "it's like there's no treble". That said, I find my Gilmore Lite works very well with my K701s and grandemostasa's HD650. The Gilmore Lite is more harsh and detailed than the HeadFive.

I find the HeadFive works very well with SR325i. I can't speak for other Grado headphones, though.

Sep 19, 2006 at 11:25 PM Post #6 of 9
I use my 770/80's with the Headfive and like the sound. The headfive was a little shrill at first but, after some burn in, it has warmed up.

Sep 19, 2006 at 11:41 PM Post #7 of 9
The HeadAmp has very little character of its own which suits a 'universal' style of amp. The Corda is likely to synergise with some cans and not others.

I guess you could say the HeadAmp is honest and the Corda is forgiving.

Sep 19, 2006 at 11:48 PM Post #8 of 9
Thanks for all the replies! This helps make the decision making process much easier. I think I'm going to try to find a used Gilmore Lite v.2 at a resonable price.

Sep 21, 2006 at 6:46 AM Post #9 of 9
does more power comsumption and more output power and voltage mean better? it seems that the Gilmore Lite has more power. also the Gilmore Lite is slightly more expensive, but the Headfive, limited edition exclusively offered to Head-fi[ers]. Tough decision... does the Gilmore Lite have better sound stage or surround sound identification? (aka does it give me an edge for certain games? not that important though)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back