Most tube-like solid state amp?
May 25, 2011 at 7:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

cactus_farmer

1000+ Head-Fier
As title says - I'm also particularly interest to see where the Heed Canamp comes into this equation. Alot of people say that it's very warm, bassy, colored, and the perfect partner for the K701...etc... But it also seems to make everything sound bigger and more 'exciting' than it should be which I guess is in a way opposite to tubes which should make everything darker, more laid back and mellow?

Anyway, even if you have have no input on the Canamp - what is the most tube-like (darkest, laid back) solid state amp?

May 25, 2011 at 8:13 PM Post #2 of 5
I guess it might not be the most tube like, but KICAS Caliente get my vote. If you do a search, there is a review of the Caliente + K701 combo not long ago.

Jun 3, 2011 at 8:35 AM Post #4 of 5
Blue Circle head amps, Hat Peed something or other and SBH.  These are marvelously musical, detailed and well-balanced with a slightly romantic mid-range.  They make what you hear sound like music instead of a combination of notes.

Jun 3, 2011 at 10:32 AM Post #5 of 5
The Violectric V200 definitely has that tube like smoothness to it, but still transparent and not overly laid back. Nice combination of positives of both SS and Tube amps IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back