Most overrated headphones?
Mar 3, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #214 of 1,490
Oh that isn't just the HE90 that is with the the amp, the whole old classic set up(Orpheus HEV90).  The headphones themselves are way less, near $9000. i think and then you pair it with your own amp like a Blue Hawaiian.  Also, they are asking $35,000.  Hey my Honda Element is for sale for $35,000. if anyone wants to pay that too.
wink_face.gif

Mar 28, 2011 at 7:35 PM Post #218 of 1,490

Quote:
Quote:
Maybe for $150 but for <$100 that they used to be had for I still think it's the king of the heap IMO.  There is nothing from those brands <$100 that competes w/ them to my ears unless you have a specific flavor that just suits you better.  

Alienware Ozma 5 (OEM'ed Ultrasone HFI-550 / HFI-580 / DJ1) for $90.

Does OEM'd guarantee identical sound?  Like most of the Pro-line below the 900 the 550 isn't listed to have S-Logic Plus.  If the 580 can be had for $90 that is superb.  It would still have a slightly off timbre sound compared to the M50 but everything else is great.

Edit - Oh I see, you are talking about a headphone that can no longer be purchased or exists new.  Gee, thanks.  Apparently there was a deal for $36 on them before.  That's an amazing phone for the price.  There would be no finer $30 phone I know of.

Ozma 5: 64ohms, 103dB, 265g
580: 32ohms, 101db, 285 g

May 30, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #220 of 1,490
I think ATH-M50 is pretty overrated nowadays. I guess its because too many newbs are buying it who haven't heard anything better.

May 30, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #221 of 1,490

Quote:
Everything from Sennheiser that I've tried, outside of the HD800 which is best in class for light and slow music. The HD650 in particular gets WAY too much praise imo.

I don't consider myself a Senn fanboy but I ended up liking the 598 very much and have the 558 and 800.  I'm still actually surprised and shocked myself but the 800 is quite awesome w/ fast music too.  I liked it's speed transient response better than the HE6 and LCD2 and it was quite close to stat performance.  

I do agree the 650 recommendations should come w/ a few caveats. 

As always YMMV.

May 30, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #222 of 1,490
pioneer se m390 imo. they were $60 and where supposed to sound amazing for the money, but i find them very muddy sounding and highly colored. i can't stand listening to them for more then 30 minutes.

although before i got my shure srh840 i thought they were amazing.

May 30, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #223 of 1,490

Quote:

I don't consider myself a Senn fanboy but I ended up liking the 598 very much and have the 558 and 800.  I'm still actually surprised and shocked myself but the 800 is quite awesome w/ fast music too.  I liked it's speed transient response better than the HE6 and LCD2 and it was quite close to stat performance.  

I do agree the 650 recommendations should come w/ a few caveats. 

As always YMMV.

The HD800, like the T1, HD650, etc works fine for fast, aggressive, energetic music. But once you've heard how cans like the Denons sound with that type of music, there's no way I can possibly go back. Listening to Metal and Electronic is so much more engaging, intimate, involving, and above all FUN with colored cans like the Denons. The HD800, T1, and others are made for genres like Classical, Light Rock, Jazz, etc and for those they do not disappoint.

May 30, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #224 of 1,490

Quote:
The HD800, like the T1, HD650, etc works fine for fast, aggressive, energetic music. But once you've heard how cans like the Denons sound with that type of music, there's no way I can possibly go back. Listening to Metal and Electronic is so much more engaging, intimate, involving, and above all FUN with colored cans like the Denons. The HD800, T1, and others are made for genres like Classical, Light Rock, Jazz, etc and for those they do not disappoint.

I disagree.  I had some D7000s and would say you need to roll some tubes.  The HD800 can sound more organic and natural than the D7000 w/ the right synergy.  I agree there is a certain voicing w/ the 'stock' signature of the HD800 but it's transducer is so capable and flexible it will do whatever you want pretty much.  Believe me, the HD800 is the last headphone I thought I would ever buy.  I hated the HD800 w/ 85% of every source.  But when it's right, it's sublime.  You can get T1 bass or better and the 800 driver is faster from what I've seen than the Tesla.  I will say there is a certain timbre to electronic that favors Ultrasones.  Some might call it unnatural.  Anyway, probably wrong thread.  
tongue_smile.gif

May 30, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #225 of 1,490

Quote:
I disagree.  I had some D7000s and would say you need to roll some tubes.  The HD800 can sound more organic and natural than the D7000 w/ the right synergy.  I agree there is a certain voicing w/ the 'stock' signature of the HD800 but it's transducer is so capable and flexible it will do whatever you want pretty much.  Believe me, the HD800 is the last headphone I thought I would ever buy.  I hated the HD800 w/ 85% of every source.  But when it's right, it's sublime.  You can get T1 bass or better and the 800 driver is faster from what I've seen than the Tesla.  I will say there is a certain timbre to electronic that favors Ultrasones.  Some might call it unnatural.  Anyway, probably wrong thread.  
tongue_smile.gif

Um I never said the D7000 sounded more organic and natural than anything. If I wanted natural, I'd stick with T1's and forget everything else. I said the D7000s are far superior for fast,aggressive, energetic music to the HD800s, which they are. Getting "T1" bass wouldn't be enough, the T1's bass quantity isn't enough for me anymore going back to Denons. The D7000 is not natural sounding, it is colored, and it is far superior for Metal, Electronic, and the like no matter how you slice it. The HD800 is a neutral but artificial (the soundstage is enormous but not natural) can for Classical and other light genres, while the T1 is neutral and natural. The T1 and HD800 may sound "fine" for Metal, and hell for a while I even thought the T1's were unbelievably amazing for it, and then I slipped on my good ol' Denons and remembered what it was like to really enjoy music. Headphones like the HD800 and T1 do one side of the musical coin very well, and cans like the D7000 do the other side very well.The side the headphones don't do well will always seem good until you hear what the other headphones designed for that side have to say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back