Most Overrated Bands?
Jun 8, 2008 at 9:21 AM Post #76 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by electronicmaji /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry but how can a band no one has ever heard of (The Flaming Lips) be overrated?

Er, are The Flaming Lips an obscure band somewhere in the world? In the UK, the critics can't even stand up straight in public once their name is mentioned.

Jun 8, 2008 at 10:20 AM Post #78 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Strange that Smashing pumpkins get lots of overrated label. I personally thought their albums were just amazing - not just their #1 hit singles, but their B-sides were amazing as well, as well as having one of the best double albums of all time.

to me, overrated bands are bands that sound crap live, for whatever reason, and yet their studio recordings get heavy rotation/high in charts etc. Blink 182, for example sounded absolutely horrible live - underpracticed, and very uninterested.

I agree. Although I don't really care for Smashing Pumpkins, their concert was nothing less than great.

Jun 8, 2008 at 3:41 PM Post #79 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Strange that Smashing pumpkins get lots of overrated label. I personally thought their albums were just amazing - not just their #1 hit singles, but their B-sides were amazing as well, as well as having one of the best double albums of all time.

to me, overrated bands are bands that sound crap live, for whatever reason, and yet their studio recordings get heavy rotation/high in charts etc. Blink 182, for example sounded absolutely horrible live - underpracticed, and very uninterested.

I am not a big fan of Smashing Pumkins, but don't think they are hugely overrated.

Blink may have been when you saw them. I saw them fairly early (Q101 twisted xmas show in 2000 IIRC) and they were pretty good live. Saw them again on the tour with Green Day and they were bad live. Green Day was good though.

Jun 8, 2008 at 5:35 PM Post #81 of 134
David Hasselhoff. No amount of facepalm and lol is enough to bring his rating down to where it belongs.

Jun 8, 2008 at 7:29 PM Post #82 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
David Hasselhoff. No amount of facepalm and lol is enough to bring his rating down to where it belongs.

Duggeh FTW!

Jun 8, 2008 at 7:53 PM Post #83 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by tpc41 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What bands do you think are overrated?

My vote goes for The Beatles.

LOL! I opened this thread just to see how soon some dim bulb would say "The Beatles" and here it's in the OP! mm'k, whatever Einstein.
rolleyes.gif

You may not care for them, you may be tired of them, but neither make them overrated.

Jun 8, 2008 at 8:04 PM Post #85 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arjisme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL! I opened this thread just to see how soon some dim bulb would say "The Beatles" and here it's in the OP! mm'k, whatever Einstein.
rolleyes.gif

You may not care for them, you may be tired of them, but neither make them overrated.

you may have different musical preferences than me and a different opinion on what you consider "good music" but there is really no need to insult me. This is how threads get locked. Lets try to keep it civil

Think of it this way. If a new band was to come along and release the exact same song "I Want to Hold Your Hand" they would be overlooked and laughed at, definitely not considered the best band of all time. The concept of "the beatles" is very popular and they had a huge impact on modern music. but if I step back and just listen to there music, it just boring and doest measure up to many other bands. There cheesy lyrics and limited guitar work causes me to look elsewhere when picking out some tunes to listen to. I know im standing on an island alone, but there seem to be a lot of people with the same opinion.

Jun 8, 2008 at 8:18 PM Post #86 of 134
Quote:

Think of it this way. If a new band was to come along and release the exact same song "I Want to Hold Your Hand" they would be overlooked and laughed at, definitely not considered the best band of all time.

You need to look at when the song was written and the state of popular music at the time. They are rated highly for what they accomplished in their time. Of course songs in their catalog are sounding dated. Some are not, but it is really inevitable that they will be. It still doesn't change their place in history and, therefore, their rating as great.

If by "overrated" you really mean "I don't like", then say that. It would be more accurate.

Jun 8, 2008 at 8:28 PM Post #87 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arjisme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You need to look at when the song was written and the state of popular music at the time. They are rated highly for what they accomplished in their time. Of course songs in their catalog are sounding dated. Some are not, but it is really inevitable that they will be. It still doesn't change their place in history and, therefore, their rating as great.

If by "overrated" you really mean "I don't like", then say that. It would be more accurate.

but 50 years later, people are still drooling over this outdated music like its the greatest thing ever. I'm not by any means dissing The Beatles, just slightly irritated that people haven't moved on to bigger and better things.

Jun 8, 2008 at 8:43 PM Post #88 of 134
Quote:

Think of it this way. If a new band was to come along and release the exact same song "I Want to Hold Your Hand" they would be overlooked and laughed at, definitely not considered the best band of all time. The concept of "the beatles" is very popular and they had a huge impact on modern music. but if I step back and just listen to there music, it just boring and doest measure up to many other bands. There cheesy lyrics and limited guitar work causes me to look elsewhere when picking out some tunes to listen to. I know im standing on an island alone, but there seem to be a lot of people with the same opinion.

Their songs are still being sampled and redone. Of course the style is outdated, that was almost 50 years ago!

The bolded clearly shows it is not your taste. The Beatles may not be the greatest, but they are far from being overrated.

Jun 8, 2008 at 9:00 PM Post #89 of 134
Quote:

but 50 years later, people are still drooling over this outdated music like its the greatest thing ever. I'm not by any means dissing The Beatles, just slightly irritated that people haven't moved on to bigger and better things.

I'd say most people enjoying Beatles music are reminiscing. It's a big world out there and you have a hell of a lot of Baby Boomers still wielding influence. They grew up with the Beatles. They like to hear music that reminds them of their youth.

And how do you know people haven't moved on to more modern things? I'm not saying every child of the 60s has moved on, but I think plenty have. But really, each generation embraces its own music and that becomes a huge part of their identity. So I don't fault anyone who wants to listen to what pleases them. I'm not concerned about the contemporary music scene. It isn't struggling to pull attention away from the Beatles.

Jun 8, 2008 at 11:15 PM Post #90 of 134
Quote:

Interesting. So, if we test your thinking away from pop, Beethoven would be consigned to the bin, Bach would be a bewigged fogey, Bartok an old duffer and don't even mention that bore Stravinsky....how odd. What's it like to live in a world that's always 'bigger and better'?

wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back